'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by lomuamart »

S&F,
Didn't see your question above. I've been out and about for a couple of days.
However, did reply this morning to your PMs which I believe you've got.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

A friend yesterday told me his application to extend his one year Non Imm O visa (retirement) has been refused. His present visa expires 10 February. The poor guy is 71 years old, not too well, has very limited savings as his last wife stole all his savings, and he is now in a real panic.

He stated the immigration office said he must have a monthly income of 80,000 Baht, I was under the impression the monthly income or pension must be at least THB 65,000, his is equal to 73,000 Baht. He also thought it was 65k.
I have looked in the immigration web site but cannot find a reference to monthly income. Does anyone know exactly where to look, has a directive recently been issued to increase the value?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Obviously needs to renew his passport, as that one is useless.

But, I couldn't find any changes, still at total of 800k, a year, whether savings, income (65k monthly) or combination:
- A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html

I'll be extending mine before the 23rd, and will post if any surprises. I use the income statement method.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No idea what you mean by renew his passport.

The rest is as I thought but that is not what Immigration told him yesterday, they said 80k pension.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The rest is as I thought but that is not what Immigration told him yesterday, they said 80k pension.
It is possible that it has been "lost in translation". 80,000 and 800,000 may be too much for whom ever told him that. Somebody needs to take the poor bugger down to Immigration and find out the truth.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

StevePIraq wrote:No idea what you mean by renew his passport.
oops, my bad, somehow, miss read that, PP expires Feb 10.... :shock: Speed reading......... :oops:
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I extended my visa 2 weeks ago with the letter of the Swiss embassy, that I have an income of 70 000 Baht/month. Perhaps he has no letter from his embassy?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

He does have a letter from the UK embassy giving his pension as GBP 1,600 per month which was 73,000 baht as of yesterday down to 70,342 baht today with the further fall in Sterling. I have spoke with him again today, he states an immigration supervisor was called when he questioned the 80k requirement and the supervisor confirmed that 80k is required. I wanted to go with him today but he has already made an appointment with a lawyer for Monday to get some help.

It really highlights the problems with the devaluation of currencies and the impact this can have.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe should try the government help line on 1111. It deals with difficulties with immigration.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

An update on my friends issue which could affect many here. Please note I am just stating what he told me.

He saw his lawyer on Monday and he printed the web page which states the pension requirement is 65,000 baht per month if you have no savings, he with his lady and the lawyer went to immigration. After a prolonged debate in Thai with numerous immigration officials joining in he was advised by his lawyer that the pension requirement is now 80,000 per month if you have no savings, he was also advised the immigration web page has not been updated.

In the end Immigration agreed to give him the extension if he deposited funds into his bank account to make up to 80k, as I had previously stated he has no spare cash so his lady went and sold her gold and deposited the cash into his account and got a bank letter. As he did not have the 80k in the bank for 90 days prior he was given a financial penalty and told to ensure he has additional cash in the bank in future even if you have to borrow money. He even had to borrow money to pay 12k to the lawyer and for the penalty.

Anyone who is extending their visa solely based on 65k with no savings should check in advance with immigration. If you are told 65k is adequate with no savings please let me know and I will advise him, however I doubt he will do anything as he cannot pay a lawyer again.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, I have seen nothing about this "change" anywhere on the net and it would be big news if the law had actually been amended.
Obviously, can't argue against what has unfortunately happened to this individual and we'll have to wait and see if others report the same from HH Imm.
But for now, I am supposing that it's a rogue rule that has been brought in locally. The Imm website might well not have been updated but there must be some directive from BKK to HH referring to this change. I'd be interested in tracking that down.
As said, calling the Imm Hotline number could well be a good idea if anyone else experiences the same.
PS, it further surprises me that any supposed change has been brought in without grandfathering.
londongeorge

Post by londongeorge »

I have an OA Visa and am leaving for a visit to the UK on the 10 of April. My 90 day runs out on the 9th and I was wondering if I should go to Immigration in HH before or just to the airport on the 10th with one day overstay. From where I stay it is difficult to get to Immigration and I don't want to go if I don't have to. Any advice?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

londongeorge wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 pm I have an OA Visa and am leaving for a visit to the UK on the 10 of April. My 90 day runs out on the 9th and I was wondering if I should go to Immigration in HH before or just to the airport on the 10th with one day overstay. From where I stay it is difficult to get to Immigration and I don't want to go if I don't have to. Any advice?
90 day reports can be made from 15 days before, to 7 days after the due date. More important: do you have a reentry permit, or getting one at the airport?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

From another thread......
prcscct wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 am .....I will then travel to Thailand next month but I arrive just 2 days before my one-year visa extension expires - ......
Let's talk about that bit for a moment. I guess you have a re-entry permit. If the extension expires 2 days after arrival, how long do they give you when they stamp you back into the country? Surely it can't be just 2 days. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Can anyone advise the period before and after for renewing the annual retirement visa, mine expires 12 days after my next 90 day report and I would like to do just one visit if that is possible.