Kanchanaburi border (Phu Nam Ron) for visa runs

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Kanchanaburi border (Phu Nam Ron) for visa runs

Post by HHTel »

I would have thought Ranong visa runs were a thing of the past now as the crossing at Kanchanaburi is now open for visa runs. Seems you don't even have to leave Thailand!

[Mod edit: post split from previous topic where it didn't belong.]
buksida

Re: Kanchanaburi open for visa runs

Post by buksida »

Any more info on this? Crossing point? Immigration office location? How far into Burma can you go?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

PHU NAM RON-2.jpg
PHU NAM RON.jpg
I have read a report from a French guy who went there in December, seem OK.
I plan to go and try it end of this month.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't do visa runs myself but have met a few who have tried the Kanchanaburi route. Been open since around August last year. I'm told it's well signposted from Kanchanaburi. Seems you can wait at the Thai immigration post while a guy takes your passport across to the Burmese side to get the relevant stamps then brings it back for you to get stamped back into Thailand. Everyone I've spoken to said it's a breeze.

It's a legal crossing so you can go further into Burma if you wish.

The cost I'm told is in the region of 5-700 bt. I think that is 500 for the Burmese stamp and a couple of hundred for the guy's trouble!

I was also told by one guy that a taxi from Kanchanaburi there and back to the border including waiting will cost about 1K.

I'm sure there's lots of info to be found on Google. When I have time, I'll do a bit of searching.

My post crossed with the one above.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Looking at the map, you don't have to go as far as Kanchanaburi which is even better.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

HHTel wrote:I don't do visa runs myself but have met a few who have tried the Kanchanaburi route. Been open since around August last year. I'm told it's well signposted from Kanchanaburi. Seems you can wait at the Thai immigration post while a guy takes your passport across to the Burmese side to get the relevant stamps then brings it back for you to get stamped back into Thailand. Everyone I've spoken to said it's a breeze.

It's a legal crossing so you can go further into Burma if you wish.

The cost I'm told is in the region of 5-700 bt. I think that is 500 for the Burmese stamp and a couple of hundred for the guy's trouble!

I was also told by one guy that a taxi from Kanchanaburi there and back to the border including waiting will cost about 1K.

I'm sure there's lots of info to be found on Google. When I have time, I'll do a bit of searching.

My post crossed with the one above.
Your info confirms what the French man told about it, but I do not know if you can go further into Burma.

I plan to ride there on the minor roads in blue on the map, I will report about the trip and border crossing when I am back.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Kanchanaburi border open for visa runs

Post by usual suspect »

Now when I ever go to K'buri I take a left turn at Ratchaburi, aim for Chom bung, & up there the scenic way..good road, minimal traffic.
Well midway on this route IF you peel off left it will take you in the right direction, & pick up the road you need to get there. (I was tracking the route on Google Earth last night as I do not own a GPS).
A rough distance calculated on G/Earth was 110/120kms to Phu Nam Ron from the R/buri turn-off.

As a footnote..if this border is in fact easier, & nearer to get to from HH, & has been operational since Aug last yr..then why are the visa-run minivans still going all the way to Ranong??
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

usual suspect wrote:Now when I ever go to K'buri I take a left turn at Ratchaburi, aim for Chom bung, & up there the scenic way..good road, minimal traffic.
Well midway on this route IF you peel off left it will take you in the right direction, & pick up the road you need to get there. (I was tracking the route on Google Earth last night as I do not own a GPS).
A rough distance calculated on G/Earth was 110/120kms to Phu Nam Ron from the R/buri turn-off.

As a footnote..if this border is in fact easier, & nearer to get to from HH, & has been operational since Aug last yr..then why are the visa-run minivans still going all the way to Ranong??
Right, from Ratchaburi you go through Chom bueng, then Dan Makham Tia where you turn left to Phu Nam Ron and right to Kanchanaburi.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Gerard..Sorry, but I cannot remember the route from last night..(I have pinned it with markers on the Google map..& I do know there's about 4/5 left turns from leaving the K'buri route I usually take..I WILL post the route I made for everyone soon.

The road beyond this Border-crossing I think is in need of an upgrade, & maybe, just maybe in years to come it will be a regular route thru' the hills & down to Dawei.
As for doing that now..I'm sure I read online that as yet it was not possible..HOWEVER..if you took a Thai national with you (assuming you do not speak fluent Thai)..& ask a few in-depth questions, you may get some
more positive answers about if & when you can make the trip from here to Dawei.
(I also do not know the calibre of visa needed..if your 14 day entry stamp covers this OK?)

Also please note that if you are in K'buri & would like to do this as your visa-run..there are #3 buses go there from the bus station..for 70B..but please be aware that it is the Blue & white bus to Ban Phu Nam Ron you need..NOT the red/white ones (that go to ANOTHER Ban Phu Nam Ron!)
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

PHU NAAM RON.jpg
Another closer map to PHU NAAM RON
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

usual suspect wrote: As a footnote..if this border is in fact easier, & nearer to get to from HH, & has been operational since Aug last yr..then why are the visa-run minivans still going all the way to Ranong??
There are plenty of visa companies outside of HH using this route. Why the ones here haven't picked up on it, who knows. Everything I've read and heard indicate that it's one of the easiest border runs to date. You will get everything you get at other borders. i.e. 30 day visa exempt, re-entry on a non-o visa etc etc. And as it's a legal crossing it gives access to touring Burma although I think the access routes are not too good.

Quicker and cheaper!
Pavel
Novice
Novice

Post by Pavel »

Yes, it is. I am surprised the folks here aren't aware of it. The biggest plus - no stupid boat travel! It's a big business though for some, and they withhold the information and feed on the ignorant.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was talking to some people tonight about this crossing. Those that had been said the road is perfect and the procedure at immigration very simple. I was surprised how many people didn't know of it. In fact one of our friends went to Ranong today.

We were wondering why the visa buses are still going to Ranong. The concensus is that it is a lucrative trip whereas the Kanchanaburi run is not. You can do it yourself very cheaply. Train/bus to Kanchanaburi. Bus to the border. Wait for your passport stamps (5 - 700 baht) and then return. Very easy. Very cheap.

A 'no-brainer'
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just spoken to someone who has just done the Kanchanaburi option. They have stopped 'helpers' taking your passport over the border to get stamped while you have a coffee. Now you have to go in person. Not too much trouble as it's only 4 kms from Thai immigration to the Myanmar hut. Still a much better option to Ranong.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

My understanding is that the Myanmar side does not as yet have the authority to issue the 'Visa On Arrival' that is given at the other more legitimate crossings, which is why they do not ask for USD, which I think is still the only means to pay for a VOA in Myanmar.

You are supposed to have a Myanmar visa (full page) in your passport, and in that case you don't have to pay anything to cross, although the rules covering whether you can legally take your car into Myanmar aren't clear; I mean it's not clear that you can take your Thai registered car into the 'zone' inside Myanmar between the actual border and the immigration point without having a permit and insurance.