Hua Hin Immigration clampdown on ID and 24hr reporting

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Immigration clampdown on ID and 24hr reporting

Post by Dannie Boy »

So when you have had visits from family/friends, have you been reporting this to immigration, or will you be starting now?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I said, not my responsibility - read the TM30. I'm not allowed to own the property where I live. However, if my wife fails in her duty, it is not her who is penalised - TIT :?

[Edit] TM30 - Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's the owner of the property who has to report an alien.
Just for a minute, forget about the 2,000 THB fine. What the military want is that people pay their taxes. That's fair enough isn't it?
Our owners told us years ago that if any official came to the place, just to say that my wife was family and we were living for free. That was very tenuous but it never came to it.
About 4 years ago when I was extending again, the Imm officer wanted a copy of the owner's ID card. That threw me and I just busked around the demand and was let off with "next year". The next year never happened.
In 16 years of living here, I have only been asked to produce my passport once and after a laugh with the officers I went home and produced it within 20 minutes. They understood why I didn't have the passport as I was pretty smashed at the time and everything was fine.
I appreciate that the current situation seems to be more severe but every time I go over the road for supplies, I carry my passport. I'm just itching for someone to pull me up and then I'll be ever so humble but look them right in the eyes.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Yes it is tightening up a trifle but it is LAW and endorsed by our embassies.

Years ago when I used to trawl BK I always carried my passport and on a couple of occasions asked to produce it. Some I knew carried copies and had to pay tea money and then produce their passport to the local police station.

It 'aint going to go away FFS
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not doubting what has happened in the past. Hotels should always have been reporting who has stayed.

Whether or not this is another piece of mis-reporting by Thai Visa, we don't know. I for one would rather ask the question of Immigration rather listen to bar stool lawyers. Ask yourself, if they didn't intend doing anything about it, why say it?

At the end of the day, I like living here. I don't work, so a trip down the road isn't going to cause me any real hardship. I'm sure I can spare an hour to nip down to Immigration if I visit somewhere else in Thailand. Certainly my meager Government pension doesn't pay £40/hour, so IMHO it will be time well spent to comply with Thai law.

Points 41; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Good luck BB. IMO you will be :banghead: :banghead: Provincial officials are a law unto themselves. That is until BK officials straighten them out. Usually by that time a lot of water and tea money has gone under the bridge

Look forward to your trip report :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You're probably 100% correct richard, but I'll be there anyway, so it would be stupid not to ask. I honestly don't expect a proper answer, but I will try my best. I may be pleasantly surprised.

I found it very refreshing recently when one of our members (sorry, without looking it up, I don't remember his name) walked into a police station and asked about 12 o'clock closing. The answer he received was IMHO excellent.

Points 41; Position 18
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Big Boy wrote:You're probably 100% correct richard, but I'll be there anyway, so it would be stupid not to ask. I honestly don't expect a proper answer, but I will try my best. I may be pleasantly surprised.

I found it very refreshing recently when one of our members (sorry, without looking it up, I don't remember his name) walked into a police station and asked about 12 o'clock closing. The answer he received was IMHO excellent.
Yeah that was me. Sometimes I just get tired of hearsay and want the info straight from the horses mouth so to speak!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ If you find that horse who can give you straight info, let us know. Unitl then I trust Lomumuart for the best and most accurate answers in this topic.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

Pleng wrote:There are a couple of reports in this thread of people being fined 200bt by police. I'm not going to go back and find them but I remember at least one of them was a fine for not having an original driving licence (only a copy) when riding a bike, which is another issue all together. Perhaps the other reports were not quite as clean cut as a simple fine for not having a passport on them?
That was me.

I got the feeling that he was going through a list: passport (got) licence (got copy).... $$$ If I'd had a thai drivers licence, he'd have moved onto tax, tread depth, bike colour, etc, etc.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

The days are numbered for lots if you believe this!
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 20783.html
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The above has nothing to do with this thread AND has already been discussed in the relevant thread.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27514
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

jumusman wrote:
Big Boy wrote:You're probably 100% correct richard, but I'll be there anyway, so it would be stupid not to ask. I honestly don't expect a proper answer, but I will try my best. I may be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah that was me. Sometimes I just get tired of hearsay and want the info straight from the horses mouth so to speak!
I understand that, and yes it was a very good and informative post about a topic of uncertainty - the curfew is over so why are the bars closing. Answer, because we're still under martial law.

However the laws regarding 24 hour reporting and carrying documents are NOT unclear and there is no doubt that anything may have officially changed, the only thing is question is how strictly they are being enforced. As I said, a government official should only every be giving you the official stance ("Need to report address within 48 hours, and must carry passport at all times").

If they tell you otherwise then they, in a developed country, would be risking their job (especially if they then get quoted on a public forum) and in an undeveloped country anything they might tell you to the contrary holds no sway anyway.

pdm3547 wrote: That was me.

I got the feeling that he was going through a list: passport (got) licence (got copy).... $$$ If I'd had a thai drivers licence, he'd have moved onto tax, tread depth, bike colour, etc, etc.
If your tax had been in order then you'd have had nothing to worry about :) . I doubt he'd have gone as far as tread depth and bike colour but again (I've never had those checked before), but, again, as long as everything was in order you'd have been fine. Undoubtedly police will usually try and get you for what they can, but so long as you're good to go then that's fine.

I didn't realise that in your story you'd actually been checked for your passport, though. That's interesting. I might try and get myself pulled over today just to see what they make of a photocopied passport plus genuine Thai licence. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:^ If you find that horse who can give you straight info, let us know. Unitl then I trust Lomumuart for the best and most accurate answers in this topic.
I also have every faith in Lomu - he has guided me all of the way (visa wise) so far in my transition to life in Thailand. However, nobody on this thread (and I include myself in that) has convinced me that they know anything about this particular (48 hour reporting) subject, and are making it up as they go along. Yes, some have solid 'Thailand' experience, and will be providing their best assessments based on similar mis-information in the past, and I respect that.

Some had not even read to the bottom of the mis-information:
What 48 hour reporting? Or do you mean 24 hour?
I will ask tomorrow, and will report back what, if any, information I receive back. People will decide whether to ignore it or act upon it. I have given my interpretation of what was said (without any foundation apart from the written words. and an over active imagination), and I will seek clarification from the authorities. After all, how long have we had had crash helmet laws in Thailand? How many moan when they are caught not wearing one? Personal choice.

Points 41; Position 18
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I often have friends and relatives visit so I,m guessing that if they put my wifes address on the immigration form when they go through the airport along with length of stay that is good enough? Or does the house owner have to fill out the TM form? In the event that the house, or condo is owned in a foreign name can they fill out the form? Hotels simply take a passport copy and submit it online. Can an individual house owner use the same service or only businesses. Never done it with friends staying or when I stay with friends in Thailand but it would appear it is required from what I read. Take an example that I decide to go and stay with friends in Surat . Do I have to inform immigration in Hua Hin, where I live, where I will be staying as well as Surat immigration? Or can the house owner just send it online to the central database?

Crazy 88