Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
robcar
Professional
Professional
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by robcar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:35 pm

I opened one at Kasikorn about 3 years ago, on a tourist visa and without any difficulty. Took a friend there to do the same 6 months ago (Tourist Visa again) and they insisted on 10k deposit and and their own accident insurance policy for another 4k. I certainly won't take anyone else there.

PBbeacher
Professional
Professional
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by PBbeacher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Can now only do at Bangkok Bank with a Thai guarantor, who must be someone with a decent job and be there with you. Have done it for 2 clients recently, this was the only way. Forget Kasikorn, especially MV branch which now has horrendous customer service.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30413
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by Big Boy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:21 pm

PBbeacher wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:14 pm
Can now only do at Bangkok Bank with a Thai guarantor, who must be someone with a decent job and be there with you.
Yes. sorry, I missed the guarantor bit for my friend. He used his wife's family farm in Isaan, although the family did not have to travel from Kalasin to be there.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Northampton....0 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 17; Position 23

hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: RE: Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by hhinner » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 pm

PBbeacher wrote:Can now only do at Bangkok Bank with a Thai guarantor, who must be someone with a decent job and be there with you. Have done it for 2 clients recently, this was the only way. Forget Kasikorn, especially MV branch which now has horrendous customer service.
Kasikorn used to be a good bank and I still have an account opened years ago in BKK, which I keep for the web card facility.

Anyway, I was in the MV branch the other day when a customer at the adjacent clerk was trying to send 500k baht to his wife in the Philippines from their joint account. Apparently this was too​ difficult for Kasikorn's bureaucracy and the clerk eventually told him he should withdraw the amount in cash and take it to Bangkok Bank where it would be a very easy thing to send the money abroad. Bonkers!

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Spitfire
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5171
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by Spitfire » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:18 pm

You should be aware that any requirement for anything can change in a moment's notice and do a 180 on anything, anytime. Ultimately, non indigenous people are not welcome here....only to be used for what they are useful for.

IMO, anyone who invests anything here atm is insane. Nothing is clear and it depends on where you try to do your paperwork and which 'Jobsworth' deals with you to sort anything. There is so much turbulence in society and politics now here that anyone with half a brain wouldn't spend anything.

As an aside, today I tried to pay my electricity bill at 7-11....was OK, but they insisted on me providing my phone number to do so....first time that's happened.

:roll:

Edit by me
The state has a monopoly on violence - Max Weber

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 6194
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by Nereus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 pm

As an aside, today I tried to pay my electricity bill at 7-11....was OK, but they insisted on me providing my phone number to do so....
I had one of those 7-11 girls do that. But I told her I was too old for her! :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

moater
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:20 am

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by moater » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Definitely depends on the branch and the person you happen to get. I was able to open with Krungsri on a tourist visa only in the 3rd branch I tried. The secret is keep trying different branches until someone says yes.

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by Name Taken » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:22 am

Spitfire wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:18 pm
You should be aware that any requirement for anything can change in a moment's notice and do a 180 on anything, anytime. Ultimately, non indigenous people are not welcome here....only to be used for what they are useful for.

IMO, anyone who invests anything here atm is insane. Nothing is clear and it depends on where you try to do your paperwork and which 'Jobsworth' deals with you to sort anything. There is so much turbulence in society and politics now here that anyone with half a brain wouldn't spend anything.

As an aside, today I tried to pay my electricity bill at 7-11....was OK, but they insisted on me providing my phone number to do so....first time that's happened.

:roll:

Edit by me
:agree: with what you're saying. But in some ways living in Thailand is still better than living in the U.S.
There are a lot of areas in the U.S. that are so bad that they make Thailand seem nice, and the turbulence in Thai society has always seemed minor and small compared to the social turbulence and turmoil in the U.S.

Anyways, :offtopic:

robcar
Professional
Professional
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by robcar » Wed May 03, 2017 3:27 pm

Just been to Bangkok Bank to open a savings account (the branch near Market Village. Waited over 45 minutes to be seen. I want to use their London UK branch to Thailand money transfer facility. Had all the necessary paperwork copies etc. as indicated on their webpage. (Passport, Rental contract, UK bank and pension details etc. etc.) The receptionist/teller lady was not interested in any of it. She gave me a very tatty, (obviously a copy of a poor copy) of a letter to take to immigration to enable me to get (yet another) residence certificate. I pointed out that I already have stapled in my Passport an immigration slip of paper with my address printed on it............not good enough.
I now have another Residence Certificate application to complete. Also required are 2 photo's and 2 copies of my Passport.
Wish me luck for tomorrow :banghead: :bow:

nil
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by nil » Wed May 03, 2017 3:39 pm

robcar wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 3:27 pm
Just been to Bangkok Bank to open a savings account (the branch near Market Village. Waited over 45 minutes to be seen. I want to use their London UK branch to Thailand money transfer facility. Had all the necessary paperwork copies etc. as indicated on their webpage. (Passport, Rental contract, UK bank and pension details etc. etc.) The receptionist/teller lady was not interested in any of it. She gave me a very tatty, (obviously a copy of a poor copy) of a letter to take to immigration to enable me to get (yet another) residence certificate. I pointed out that I already have stapled in my Passport an immigration slip of paper with my address printed on it............not good enough.
I now have another Residence Certificate application to complete. Also required are 2 photo's and 2 copies of my Passport.
Wish me luck for tomorrow :banghead: :bow:
They love their paperwork. Can't you just do this online though from your UK bank. I'm planning to do the same in a couple of months. There are some instructions here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... romUK.aspx

robcar
Professional
Professional
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by robcar » Wed May 03, 2017 4:13 pm

You still need to have a Bangkok Bank account to accept the funds.

If you have an account with a UK bank, you can transfer funds to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand via our London Branch using your UK bank’s online services, or instruct your local bank in person to transfer the funds to us (via Faster Payments Service or BACS) for onward transmission. Funds will be credited to the nominated account in Thailand on the next working day after we receive them in London.

NOKYAI
Guru
Guru
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:38 am
Location: Hua hin
Contact:

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by NOKYAI » Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Do you know if it's possible to have your wages deposited in the London branch of BKK bank and use it like a normal current acc when in the U.K. ( eg a couple of direct debits and withdraw cash) then do the same when in Thailand?
Now semi retired 60:40 Thailand: UK ( seems to be working well)

oakdale160
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2913
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by oakdale160 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 am

a few moths ago i wanted to send some money abroad from my account. MV was not open till 11 so i went to another branch. The lady went through my bank book.I had recently brought some money in from a consult job abroad, my branch had taken it without a murmer she asked me for proof of where the money had come from, of course i had nothing with me. so she refused my request---just too damn lazy to process my request.

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 8619
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by caller » Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 am

NOKYAI wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 pm
Do you know if it's possible to have your wages deposited in the London branch of BKK bank and use it like a normal current acc when in the U.K. ( eg a couple of direct debits and withdraw cash) then do the same when in Thailand?
A list of their services here - it's fairly ambiguous.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... index.aspx

They charge £15-20 to transfer funds to Thailand, which is expensive, I suspect you will pay a premium for opening a current account, if that is actually possible with UK ATM access?
Talk is cheap

NOKYAI
Guru
Guru
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:38 am
Location: Hua hin
Contact:

Re: Thai bank account on a tourist visa... possible?

Post by NOKYAI » Thu May 04, 2017 11:40 am

Mmmm I thought there wouldn't be an easy way! I'm using the TransferWise app linking Barclays to KTM, which seems cost effective although there is a short delay.
Now semi retired 60:40 Thailand: UK ( seems to be working well)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests