Insurance & Registration for motorbikes???

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Cowtown Comedy
Professional
Professional

Insurance & Registration for motorbikes???

Post by Cowtown Comedy »

I apoloigize in advnace to the moderators if this question has already been answered. I'm thinking of just buying a used Honda motorbike and leaving it at a friends when i'm not there. The question, Am i required to insure and register this bike? if so, so anyone know the costs. Also, do i need an international drivers licence?

thanks
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

The simple answer is yes it needs to be insured taxed and registered, for the same reasons you would register and insure a bike back home for the obvious reasons including an accident scenario . But depending on your visa type you may not be eligible to register in your own name, if you have a NONE B visa and work permit and certain paperwork for the place you live or stay Fine you can indeed put the bike in your own name, ALT if you have a Ltd company register in Thailand you can register in the company name, If you have neither of these you can not register a vehicle of any type in your own name and may have to rely on a friend to register and hold the green book , the green book is another point unless the green book is signed and you hold a transfer document with the signature of the previous owner and also a signed photo copy of the previous owners Thai Id card you will not be allowed to transfer to any name Thai or Other wise
However if you hold the green book you can still have the bike tested taxed and insured even if the book is not in your name,
In the case of insurance in Thailand it is the machinery that is insured not the driver
Holding the green book usually proves ownership regardless of owned name the in the green book

as back at home the costs vary with the size of engine capacity for tax and insurance

The international license is required for Thailand but not widely enforced
i would advise to acquire this document as they are of a minimal cost if you happen to be pulled over by a knowledgeable law enforcement officer who notices your license is indeed not international he will enforce the full penalty of a minimum of 1000 baht
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Just make sure the international driving license is 1949 Geneva Convention type.

This is the only type (of the three available) Thailand recognises.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Sorry as I just posted in a similar thread... If you turn up with the money anything is possible, believe you me. Its Thailand after all.. :?
www.35mmview.com