Residence letter on a tourist visa?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Residence letter on a tourist visa?

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:
m_right wrote:Do I need a residence letter from immigration to renew my 5 yr license? I had heard a rumor that it was no longer needed.
I needed one a couple of months ago.
Is it possible to get a residence letter if you're on a tourist visa? I got my 1-year licence when I was on a non-ED, but when it expires I'll more than likely have to be on a tourist visa.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Residence letter on a tourist visa?

Post by PET »

I renewed my 5 year driving licence last month and yes I did need either a letter from immigration or my embassy in Bangkok
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

But is it possible to get a residence letter with a tourist visa?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Pleng wrote:But is it possible to get a residence letter with a tourist visa?
I got one 4 month ago for my thai driving licence and just been to the tessaban to get in the yellow book which was free :clap: so I don't have to pay for the letter every time I need it.
And I'm on a tourist visa.

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I was over at the licence office to the north of Cha Am on Monday for my vehicle tax and I happened to notice a poster in English about applying for a driving licence and in the requirements for both a one year and five year renewal it states a non-immigrant visa is required, so technically a tourist visa isn't enough.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I just renewed at Cha-Am today. I got a 1 year renewal on a tourist visa. The lady apologised that they couldn't give me a 5 year but was quite adamant that they couldn't. Tourist visas get 1 year; 1 year visas (non-imm) get 5 year. Not sure whether the sign you saw means that you cannot get a licence (from zero start) on a tourist visa, but renewal is certainly possible.

And in response to Pleng - yes it is. I got one on Monday.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Ok thank you for the info
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Korkenzieher wrote:I just renewed at Cha-Am today. I got a 1 year renewal on a tourist visa. The lady apologised that they couldn't give me a 5 year but was quite adamant that they couldn't. Tourist visas get 1 year; 1 year visas (non-imm) get 5 year. Not sure whether the sign you saw means that you cannot get a licence (from zero start) on a tourist visa, but renewal is certainly possible.

And in response to Pleng - yes it is. I got one on Monday.
Just as you go up the steps into the entrance there is a poster on the right that says you need a non-immigrant visa for both but as we know in Asia, rules aren't always followed to the letter.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Just got back from Cha am, very quick and efficient. The first of our party had his 5 yr licence before I'd finished getting my photocopying. I can confirm only 1 year licences for both car and motorcycle on a tourist visa, despite my charms
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

NOKYAI wrote:Just got back from Cha am, very quick and efficient. The first of our party had his 5 yr licence before I'd finished getting my photocopying. I can confirm only 1 year licences for both car and motorcycle on a tourist visa, despite my charms
yes I can confirm that you only can get 1 years every time on a tourist visa in Pranburi as well.

:cheers: :cheers: