Law Concerning Kids

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Law Concerning Kids

Post by PeteC »

Jaime's posts about putting property in a child's name prompted this. I think things get pretty sticky when the child has dual nationality and dual passports. I don't really think the Thai courts know how to deal with a dispute, whether custody, property or whatever, when this is an issue.

Second, written or unwritten Thai law, if the parents split up, registered marriage or common law, a male child will go with the Mother and a female child with the Father. Except...in cases of abuse etc. I know so many Thai's over the years who don't even go to court to dispute this. I think it's been done this way for centuries. Pete
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Agreed that the Thais seem to work these things out without resorting to the legal profession - but is this simply symptomatic of the masses' disdain for anything that is official or that starts to get complicated and therefore likely to result in 'bpoo-ut hua?'

I think that any difficulty about 'look kreung' holding two passports may be due to the fact that many Thais I speak to are not even aware of the legal changes that have taken place over the last few years pertaining to the rights of women who marry foreigners.

I don't see that it should really create a problem within Thailand though - surely either you are Thai or you are not. Unless there are varying degrees of 'Thainess' that I am unaware of. Of course, even HM the King was born in the US.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think there very well may be degrees of "Thainess" Jaimie, and the decision is completely arbitrary depending upon the circumstances and how that particular judge or policeman may feel that day or, how well you/he/she may be dressed therefore probably able to grease the wheels. Thai by law and citizenship (dual or not) I think takes a back seat to someone in that category who is not a full time resident here, perhaps has western facial features, and perhaps not completely fluent in the tongue.

Not dealing with the issue of "Thainess", but local reality in this country, we saw today what the court ruled concerning the Senator's petition concerning fearless leader. Part #2 to follow (maybe?)

Yes, a headache to the Thai's is a reality, I think they simply don't care anymore and get on with the day to day struggle of life.

I'm going to go for a swim, bpoo-ut hua. Sorry for rambling. Pete
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

prcscct wrote:Thai by law and citizenship (dual or not) I think takes a back seat to someone in that category who is not a full time resident here, perhaps has western facial features, and perhaps not completely fluent in the tongue.
What you are describing here Pete is a malevolent attitude on the part of those implementing what should be the absolute truth of 'The Law.'

Well, this is Thailand so I have no reason to doubt that what you say can and does happen.

Enjoy your swim!