Retired with wife under 50 - what visa for wife?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
JAGfx

Re: Retired with wife under 50 - what visa for wife?

Post by JAGfx »

lomuamart,

Thanks again. That was also my understanding. It wouldn't be the first time I have received the wrong information from a legal firm but I just wanted to clarify. I was actually at Immigration today after lunch for my wife's visa extension and tried to ask staff about it there, but I'm afraid it was all lost in translation.

And just on a side note, I'm glad we're in HH when it comes to Immigration visits. Got there at about 1.30pm and only about 5x couples in the waiting room. Got our number from the ticket machine and we were next, about 5 mins later. Sitting back down waiting for the wife's passport after about 10 mins. I even wanted to clarify my next reporting date (first one) as I had left LOS after my own Extension based on Retirement was issued, arriving back in early August. He took my passport from me, quick computer check and confirmed my address, and updated it to 90 days from today's date. And to hear some of the horror stories regarding CM and Pattaya Immigration visits, I think we are pretty lucky here. Cheers and thanks again for the clarification.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Just want to clarify something else if I may. My wife has returned to Oz today and will be applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa so she can return to Thailand and be with me now that her Tourist Visa has expired. As I am on an Extension based on Retirement already, she will hopefully convert that Non-Immigrant O visa to an extension also as my dependant.

My question is, is it sufficient enough for her to apply for the Single Entry visa only, or does she need to apply for the Multiple Entry visa (A$90 compared to A$225)? The reason I ask, is that I am not sure what the actual process is for converting her visa once in Thailand. Can she do it straight away via the local HH Immigration Office or does she have to wait a certain time from here arrival date? ie Non-Immigrant O Visa about to expire then convert.

Thanks in advance. Jim
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Extensions can be done within 30 days of the expiry of the entry stamp.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

No worries. A single Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa will be applied for then. Thanks again lomuamart.