Entering Thailand on "O" visa without outbound flight

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
jungle

Entering Thailand on "O" visa without outbound flight

Post by jungle »

come this time next year my wife and i plan to move full time to Hua Hin. We will apply for the O type visa with multi entries as we plan to travel the first year. when we leave Korea it will be on a one way ticket, my question is" will we be allowed into Thailand without a departing flight booked. The reason i ask is a couple of years ago i flew from Korea to OZ and then to Thailand before flying back to Korea but before leaving Oz the airline wanted to see proof of my flight out of Thailand.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: "O" type visa

Post by caller »

Assuming you're getting the O visa before travelling, yes. Although you might find it cheaper to buy a return in any case, as it was with me last September.
Talk is cheap
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Entering Thailand on "O" visa without outbound flight

Post by Homer »

A visa gives permission to enter the country. Airlines deny boarding to someone without an onward ticket because if the country refuses entry, the airline, at their expense, must fly the person out of the country. Poorly trained workers at checkin sometimes don't understand visa = permission to enter. Taking one's complaint up one level in the chain of command is usually all that's necessary.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I moved here just over 3 years ago, the embassy advised me to contact the airline in advance. I did that, and was given an e-mail to show the check-in clerk in the event of a problem, which there wasn't.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I too entered on an OA visa using a one-way ticket without a problem some four years ago.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I regularly fly in on an O visa without onward flight and have never had any problems. As mentioned it is only when the attendant at the check in does not know the rules and by referring to a senior member all is alright.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I've also flown into Thailand several times without any ticket for an onward journey, and I've never had any problems. I've also flown in with a one way ticket, and without any type of visa, and also without any problems.

One point to keep in mind: A visa gives you permission to enter into Thailand, but it does not give you the right to enter. An immigration officer can still deny you entry, regardless of whether you have a visa or not. This is why some airlines might be concerned because as has already been mentioned, if you are denied entry, the airline company is responsible for getting rid of you. :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact