General UK/EU Question-Unique Circumstances?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

General UK/EU Question-Unique Circumstances?

Post by PeteC »

My Thai partner and I are not married, even though she is my new daughter's Mother. No plan to go back and live in the USA therefore I do not want her to lose her Thai rights and ability to purchase property if we would enter into a registered marriage.

Now, I hold a USA passport, my new daughter will soon be both a Thai and USA citizen, my partner holds a Thai passport.

What if we want to tour the UK and Europe. What sort of problems will she encounter when applying for the needed tourist visas? Of course I will accompany on any trip, not solo for her and my daughter.

Also, with the EU now being the EU, do you still need a tourist visa for each and every country or is there such a thing as an EU visa that covers travel to all? Thanks advice. Pete
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: General UK/EU Question-Unique Circumstances?

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

prcscct wrote:.....................therefore I do not want her to lose her Thai rights and ability to purchase property if we would enter into a registered marriage.

She wouldn't.
PeteC

Re: General UK/EU Question-Unique Circumstances?

Post by PeteC »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:
prcscct wrote:.....................therefore I do not want her to lose her Thai rights and ability to purchase property if we would enter into a registered marriage.

She wouldn't.
Yes thanks, I know Malcome. The advisors I've met with here and in Bangkok still advise that the spousal law is a snake pit, open to interpretation per official. These advisors are not snake oil salesmen. Toxin has done nothing to advance any law concerning foreign ownership of land or, simplify the law concerning spouse of foreigner owning land without running the gambit of "regulations" which once again....are interpreted many different ways, especially concerning how far they research back for the transfer of funds into her name/account.

She has to attest that the funds were her's in the first place and I know one poor guy that tried an "end run" on that and they confiscated his funds, even though they were in her account. They proclaimed "fraud to usurp the law.." Perhaps in many years he may get the money back after a long court battle..who knows?

For now at least, we feel more comfortable maintaing things the way they are until a REAL law is is stone. Pete
ting-tong

Post by ting-tong »

On the same visa you can visit these countrys- belgium,Denmark,Finland,

France,greece,Island,italy,Luemburg,Netherlands,norway,Portugal,Spain,

Sweden,germany and Austria. They are all part of the Schengen treaty.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My best guess on this would be that your wife will have to satisfy The Brit Emb that she'll return to Thailand. Same as if my wife or G/f wanted a tourist visa/ visitor visa. You'll have to demonstrate that you can provide for her and your child both financially and with accommodation whilst in the UK.
I can't imagine that the regulations would differ much just because you're American. However, take a look at The Embassy's web site. It's pretty good and may answer your questions, or at least give you contact details for further info.
As far as the EU is concerned, there's a thing called the Schengen (sic) agreement that covers travel between various European countries. Beware, the UK is not a party to this, so a seperate visa will be necessary.
Hope that helps. I'm sure there will be others who can expand on this.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Pete,

As others have stated the Schengen visa covers most of the EU but not all of it as a few nations have opted out. The UK is one of the countries who have opted out of the Schengen Treaty so you will need a separate visa for the UK. As for the Schengen visa, although it covers many countries you need to apply at the embassy of the country that you will use as your first entry point into the Schengen zone. Make sure you get a visa that will allow multiple entries.

Jaime
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My next question was where to apply for the Schengen visa, but that's now been covered. Thanks everyone for the help. Pete :cheers: