Yellow book, blue book

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Yellow book, blue book

Post by Norseman »

And when you finally have received your yellow book and Thai ID card, and then move away from Pratchuap to another province, it's a piece of cake to get a new yellow book and ID card registered in your new province.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:05 pm Yeah, certified translations are normally needed for Embassies - ie of a Thai marriage certificate.
Lots of great answers, but causing some confusion. (to me any way)

If the US Embassy will not certify a "True Copy" of any document, who do I get to certify my passport? They say on their website "Notarial services we cannot provide include;
Authentication of Vital Records, Academic, Commercial or Other Credentials Issued in the U.S.
Certification of True Copies of Documents
Signature (or “Medallion”) Guarantees"

You can sign an affidavit and attest that you say the document is true under oath, but they will not say the same. Will MFA accept this affidavit?

Can I just go to MFA with original and copies of 1) My Passport 2) My marriage certificate (Both us are US Citizens/ non Thai) 3) Details of my deceased parents? Have someone downstairs at MFA certify the documents as "True Copy" and translate the documents. And then I send them along to MFA for their stamp of approval. Bring everything back to Tessebahn and await my yellow book and ID card?

This sounds to simple for TIT, so it probably will not work.

Thanks
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's not so much certification of a true copy, but the official Thai translation authenticated by your embassy that the MFA get fussy about.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I basically went to the British Embassy, told them what I was trying to do, and handed them all of the documentation, which they duly handed straight back, and said they had to do it.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

To recap from the above, it seems that the US and UK embassies with make a translation into Thai of your passport or marriage certificate, and 'certify it as a true translation'?

Or not? Because I know that neither will 'certify as a true copy' a photocopy of an original document issued by the UK or US government, but tell you to send it to your home country (I think because they can't verify that the original document you present to them is true and not bogus). The US embassy will do it if for purposes to do with government services (e.g. to issue an ITIN number) but not for other purposes.

NIghtmare!
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

A previous owner of my house had the land registered to a company, but the house registered in his name (Patrick). Patrick sold the house and company (land) to Micheal, then moved back to the UK. Micheal kept the ownership the same (land registered to the company, house registered directly to him) but never updated the yellow book. When I purchased the property from Micheal I bought the company and had the house registration transferred to the company. Now the company owns both the land and the house. I have the house blue book (blank) and the yellow book with Patrick’s name in it. When I purchased the property from Micheal, I asked the lawyer about getting the Yellow book updated with my name in it. As I recall, he indicated this was possible (I think) but advised against it because the house was now owned by the company and it would simply be an unnecessary added expense. 9 years later, I wish I had a yellow book.

Can anyone confirm if it’s permitted to have the house registered to a company but the yellow book have my name in it ? Has anyone done this ?

One interesting side note, long after Patrick relocated back to the UK, Micheal decided to buy a motorcycle. The dealer told him he needed to go to Immigration, pay 500 baht to obtain a Residence Certification Letter before they could sell him the motorcycle. Unless he had a yellow book, then they could sell him the motorcycle without needing the immigration letter. Always one to try to save 500 baht, Micheal told them he had a yellow book, gave them the one with Patrick’s name in it, signed all the papers (I assume using his own name, Micheal) and drove off with his new motorcycle. 2 years later, Micheal sold me the house and company, sold the motorcycle to someone else for cash, then relocated back to the USA. 2 years later a photo radar traffic ticket arrived in my mail box, addressed to Patrick. The motorcycle had been photographed in Bangkok entering an expressway where motorcycles were prohibited. Apparently the person who bought the bike from Micheal never bothered to transfer the registration. And old Patrick has no idea that he bought a motorcycle in Thailand :)
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I have been in a similar situation and it is very TIT!
It can be done, but I would advise the use of an agent as it involves a trip to. BKK! Also get a Pink ID card at the same. I can recommend Orn from Hua hin Thai visa services on 94
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:04 pm To recap from the above, it seems that the US and UK embassies with make a translation into Thai of your passport or marriage certificate, and 'certify it as a true translation'?

Or not? Because I know that neither will 'certify as a true copy' a photocopy of an original document issued by the UK or US government, but tell you to send it to your home country (I think because they can't verify that the original document you present to them is true and not bogus). The US embassy will do it if for purposes to do with government services (e.g. to issue an ITIN number) but not for other purposes.

NIghtmare!
Bumping this as I am trying to get my yellow book. Has anyone had any more experience with the US embassy on this? I have an appointment July 6 at the embassy but if it's a waste of time will cancel. Then what do I do for the yellow book?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did my own, and in a funny sort of way enjoyed the challenge. However, having done it, and knowing the challenges ahead, if there was somebody in Hua Hin that could have done the running around for me, it would have been a no brainer. I would suggest, if Orn from Hua Hin Thai Visa Services on Soi 94 can do it (why would NOKYAI recommend her if she couldn't?), it might be a much better way to tackle it.

I ended up paying about double what it should have cost getting mine with wasted photocopies, translations (that were not acceptable), extra travel and accommodation that I'm sure Orn could actually pay her own fee by getting it right first time.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:02 am I did my own, and in a funny sort of way enjoyed the challenge. However, having done it, and knowing the challenges ahead, if there was somebody in Hua Hin that could have done the running around for me, it would have been a no brainer. I would suggest, if Orn from Hua Hin Thai Visa Services on Soi 94 can do it (why would NOKYAI recommend her if she couldn't?), it might be a much better way to tackle it.

I ended up paying about double what it should have cost getting mine with wasted photocopies, translations (that were not acceptable), extra travel and accommodation that I'm sure Orn could actually pay her own fee by getting it right first time.
NOKYAI wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:39 am I have been in a similar situation and it is very TIT!
It can be done, but I would advise the use of an agent as it involves a trip to. BKK! Also get a Pink ID card at the same. I can recommend Orn from Hua hin Thai visa services on 94
Do you have a phone number? Sounds like the best bet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This was posted on the renew a passport thread:

orn.jpg
orn.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks!!