Retirement extension based on income not lump sum

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Retirement extension based on income not lump sum

Post by dtaai-maai »

I thought I'd give you an update on the situation. It might be a salutary warning for some, useful info for others, and a good pre-Christmas chuckle for most.

The main moral of this story is: get yourself sorted nice and early and don't faff about. I've been living here for 12 years and teaching for 11, so I ought to know better...

I knew in mid-October that I was going to stop teaching and change to a retirement visa. What is the date of my first post above? 13 November, 2 weeks before my employment extension expired. Having got the info I needed, of course, I leapt into action.

I immediately emailed the company dealing with my civil service pension. They immediately replied saying they'd send me a copy of my pension statement so that I could get a letter from the Embassy. It didn't arrive.
On 30 November I went to see Immigration, who gave me a 7-day extension. On 7 December we drove to Kanchanaburi (Phu Nam Ron) so I could hop across the border and get 30 days. Oops, no can do without a valid Thai visa for return. Bugger.
Got home to find pension letter waiting - 3 weeks by air mail...

Not to worry, the nice lady at Immigration had told me that if I didn't mind paying the fine, I could overstay and go straight into a 12 month retirement extension. (At least, that's what I thought she said...)

Too late to go to post office. Posted it the next day 8/12 and it arrived at the Embassy on 9/12, but after office hours. Overstay 2 days. The Embassy letter eventually reached me on Wednesday 16/12, too late to go to Immigration. Overstay 9 days.
Went to Immigration 17/12, looking forward to being legal.
Turns out she'd said I could overstay OR have the 7-day extension (I'm not entirely convinced, but no point arguing). I have to do a border run and get 30 days, then apply within 15 days.
Will Ranong be okay? Can't guarantee that, you're best bet is Malaysia.
Friday 18/12 (with me so far?), train to Hat Yai. Overstay 11 days.
Saturday 19/12, arrived Hat Yai 2 hours late, taxi to Sadao, but driver (nice chap with a pronounced stutter) made a couple of calls and said we'd be better going to Badang Sapan. (I had to stop myself finishing his words for him - "B-b-bai B-b-adang Sap-p-an d-d-dee qua..."). Same price (1k bt), more or less the same time.
No problems going out, friendly immigration officer who did all the paperwork including the receipt for the 6k bt fine, then forgot to ask for the money. I was momentarily tempted not to remind him...
Coming back, the place was heaving. 2 hours in a queue for a 10-second non-grilling and a 30-day entry stamp. I spent much of the 2 hours observing how easy it would be for someone to slip through the non-existent security.
Anyway, mission accomplished. Train back to HH that evening, only 3 hours late - who cares?
Went to Immigration yesterday at 2 pm - HEAVING!! Waited almost an hour, still the same 20 numbers before me. Bugger this for a lark, we'll come back early in the morning.
Got there at 8.15 this morning - HEAVING! Got ticket no. 9 for the slow lane, waited 2 hours.
Nope, the house blue book has the lady's name in it, and they've given me a copy of her husband's ID card...

I feel like I used to feel in the last 10 minutes of a rugby match: get me off the pitch, into the shower and down the pub...
Anyway, the end is in sight.
And I have a cunning plan...
I'm going back on Christmas morning, when all sensible farang will be at home opening their pressies and singing carols round the little artificial tree.
What could possibly go wrong?
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

They might be closed!! But hopefully not, good luck DM
:cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

dtaai-maai wrote:...
And I have a cunning plan...
I'm going back on Christmas morning, when all sensible farang will be at home opening their pressies and singing carols round the little artificial tree.
Wonder how many others are thinking the same thing? :)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

hhinner wrote:Wonder how many others are thinking the same thing? :)
Oh ye of little faith! It worked perfectly, all done and dusted in half an hour. :cheers:
This is the way
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Nice! You could make it a Christmas tradition.

Merry Christmas.