Customs visit

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Customs visit

Post by migrant »

Hopefully the right forum.

Had my son ship a bunch of cigars to me, and customs got it. They didn;t open it but said when we come in we will open together.

Well my son did a good job and shipped 10 lbs of cigars! He listed as Christmas decorations, but we told customs it was birthday gift for me.

The head man came over, a very soft spoken guy, and after a while said that all tobacco products were subject to a 60% tariff, plus 60% of shipping costs and 7%VAT. He said because its my birthday, and we were being polite, he would call it a gift, only subject to 20%. He talked to us (mostly my wife in Thai, but some english) and took a photo of the 3 of us together, sending it to my wife on line (Hmmm a pattern here??). But all in all a very polite guy. He said many Farangs come in yelling, and screaming, but he has very little options to help.

So as long as you are polite and only have one birthday a year, you may get a discount!! (and a picture).
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Customs visit

Post by Khundon1975 »

The mistake your son made, was not to cover your cigars in glitter. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Khundon1975 wrote:The mistake your son made, was not to cover your cigars in glitter. :wink:
:cheers: :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

10lbs of cigars... Jesus I hope that lasts you for a long time!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

jumusman wrote:10lbs of cigars... Jesus I hope that lasts you for a long time!
Hopefully long enough I don't need another shipment!! :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You'll have to source out a few places in Bangkok. I think there's one named "Siam Corner" in Bangkok, and "Cigarista" in Pattaya, both of which sell Cubans and other. The least expensive source in the region is probably Hong Kong. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:You'll have to source out a few places in Bangkok. I think there's one named "Siam Corner" in Bangkok, and "Cigarista" in Pattaya, both of which sell Cubans and other. The least expensive source in the region is probably Hong Kong. Pete :cheers:
I'll check the ones here in Thailand, but all I've found have been very expensive!! On our recent trip to Hong Kong (trip report coming) they were cheaper than Thailand, and i stumbled (literally) across a small, out of the way shop, run by a Grandma that had decent priced Cubans!

Mine from the states are inexpensive, but duties may change that!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

A positive outcome for your celebratory gift. had they come into Oz under the wrong circumstance they may well have ended up in smoke..prematurely!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Bluesky wrote:A positive outcome for your celebratory gift. had they come into Oz under the wrong circumstance they may well have ended up in smoke..prematurely!
That was my worry! I know we are limited on what we can bring in, and any overage is usually seized. I hoped this wasn't the case when shipped! :cheers:
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Customs in Prechaub is notorious for way overcharging and pocketing the change. They tried to way overcharge a friend who knew what the tariff was on his item and protested. Told them he would pay for it (didn't want to make the trip again) but would write to the main office (sign posted in office) and report what happened. Money was thrown back and man refused to deal with him. He emailed to main office and within minutes got a reply and an hour or two later was told to go pick up his package which would be charged at the correct rate. When he came to office again they all fell over themselves to help him.

I had a dental plate repaired in the US and when sent back they tried to charge me for full value of the plate (which was insured). I refused to pay and told them to return to sender. Took them two months to finally send it back and I had a friend pick it up from dental office and bring to me. Wish I had known about the main office in Bangkok or I would have launched the same complaint as my friend.

Yes, they don't love us and only see us as a way to supplement their income.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

I used to sent between 4-6 boxes every month from the UK and on the odd occasion the post office would inform me I had to pick up box from customs in prachub.
Like migrant says if your polite never had a problem and always paid less than the real duty amount.

Oddly enough I had a twin deck disco unit (31kilo) I sent from the UK in its own case and that went straight to post office with no customs interference.
Ttm
Feline
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Feline »

Reading through everyone's post about Prachup Kirikhan Customs. A couple of months ago
I had to pick up a parcel from there which came from UK. I was there for ages as they supposedly looked on the Internet to see what the items were made of! Despite me repeatedly saying that it was Felix Cat Food (don't ask please!!) and telling them to open the box. Eventually they did open the box and it had exactly what was on the shipping list, not that I was surprised, but they told me I had to have a licence to import food items. So I had to fork out 2,000 baht and got my box. Up until I hit on the UK site I was using, I used to bring a case load into Thailand and was never once stopped through customs airport and that was going from Glasgow/Dubai/Bangkok! Despite the last 2 parcels arriving in Hua Hin Post Office it seems I have to go to PK to pick up this one as its needs to be "opened"! My husband says I should write it off, I think they will want money, but he is worried in case I go to Jail or be in serious trouble as they have already told me I needed a licence. Has any other poster been faced with this sort of experience. Or is it like you all say....."all about the money"?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

I have attached a link to the Customs Department of Thailand which gives an overview in English. You may wish to contact them directly on this if you feel so inclined.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connec ... omewelcome+
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

I can only say what happened to myself in the past and may not apply to yourself.
They do have a large book that lists commodity codes but they rarely seem to find what you may have shipped in the book, this is when they resort to the computer and come up blank.

They will then charge you whatever they think they can get away with, I wonder if they never realised your last shipment was cat food though.

If it was me I would go down there and be polite and explain it's just food for your cat and has little value, also let them know in a calm manner how much time and money it has cost you to go to them.
I very much doubt you would face arrest, I used to be down there quite often .
Ttm