Extension of Multiple entry but our retirement visa is OK

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
raeside3
Amateur
Amateur

Extension of Multiple entry but our retirement visa is OK

Post by raeside3 »

OK I am totally confused. Hubby and I hold retirement Visas and multiple entry visa. Our first year on retirement visa expires 25/03/16 so have been told by immigration if we leave country and return before expiry we will have 1 more year but will need to renew multiple entry visa. So what firms do we need and do we need all the other stuff bank accounts etc. :banghead:
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Extension of Multiple entry but our retirement visa is OK

Post by JamesWest »

i could be remembering this wrong, but when i had my first "retirement visa", also called a "retirement, extension of stay" with a multiple reentry visa, and when i went to Cambodia four months later and returned to Thailand, my "retirement, extension of stay" with a multiple reentry visa was automatically extended to 12 months from that point. that was done at the airport immigration returning from Cambodia. i made sure the woman saw my "retirement, extension of stay" with a multiple reentry visa so it would be done correctly, and in fact another man had to come to help her understand what she needed to do. took about ten extra minutes at airport immigration. no papers, no doc, no nothing. not sure about renewing the multiple reentry visa, i did not. then when 12 months was up i just did the process all over at Hua Hin immigration, bank statements, blah blah, blah.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

First off, to the OP, do you have a multiple entry OA visa? That's as opposed to an annual extension of stay. In other words, you got this visa in your home country before you arrived here. Extension of stays are done in-country. It sounds like you have the former and it is quite often referred to as a retirement visa.
Again, if you have the visa, then Imm is quite correct. If you exit and re-enter the country before 25/03/16, you will get another year's permitted to stay from the date of re-entry. However, because your visas will expire shortly afterwards (they're valid for a year from date of being put in your passport), you will need to get re-entry permits (single entry 1,000 THB or multi 3,800 THB) to keep your permitted to stay date alive if you leave the country during the second year. If you're not going to exit, there's no need for one.
Incidently, I don't know why you had the re-entry permits for the first year. As you have a multi entry visa, there was no need for one. You automatically get a further year each time you re-enter until the visa runs out.
Also note that in the second year, when you return, you will only be stamped in until the permitted to stay date you get on your last re-entry before the visa expires. There's no extra year/time beyond that date in the second year.
JWest, if the OP has the OA visa it operates differently from annual extensions.
For the re-entry permit, you just fill the appropriate form out (the number escapes me but Imm will advise), pay your money and away you go. No need for proof of income/bank books etc. Remember a passport photo.
Hope that is clear.
EDIT OP, just reread your post. It dosn't seem you had the re-entry permits with the original visa which is correct. I misread your post.
raeside3
Amateur
Amateur

Post by raeside3 »

Thank you for your information we REALLY appreciate it.