Warning - ATM cloning cards in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Warning - ATM cloning cards in Hua Hin

Post by thecolonel »

Warning....Dont use the SCB(Siam Commercial Bank) ATM opposite Hua Hin Hilton, corner of Naresdamri(Hilton Rd) and Soi Selakam i have had my card cloned twice in 5 weeks! im naturally suspicious of the Tuk Tuk taxi rank opposite using 'technology'....anyway whether its them or a skimmer who knows but be warned about this machine!!! If anyone knows of good reason to avoid other such ATM's in HH id appreciate hearing of them!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: ATM cloning cards Warning

Post by dtaai-maai »

A very common problem. Unless you're in a desperate rush, it's a good idea to go inside the bank for your cash.
This is the way
Ronuk
Novice
Novice

Post by Ronuk »

Arrived back in the UK on the 11th January and last Friday, 29th my card was being hit in Bangkok at a number of Thai Farmers banks. Mastercard reimbursed every transaction so no damage done.
I had been regularly using the same ATM in Hua Hin.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: Warning - ATM cloning cards in Hua Hin

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Warning....Dont use the SCB(Siam Commercial Bank) ATM opposite Hua Hin Hilton, corner of Naresdamri(Hilton Rd) and Soi Selakam i have had my card cloned twice in 5 weeks! im naturally suspicious of the Tuk Tuk taxi rank opposite using 'technology'....anyway whether its them or a skimmer who knows but be warned about this machine!!! If anyone knows of good reason to avoid other such ATM's in HH id appreciate hearing of them!
Tried to use the same machine last Sunday evening around 6:00pm. Twice the machine got as far as "Choose Language" and then hung. No dodgy transactions on account, yet.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

anyone who got cloned covering the keypad from view while entering pin?

just wondering if that made a difference?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

yes me the OP! Good point tho....
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

ps i thought it was just all the numbers they needed to try rip off, & that's why they try to use the magnetic strip machines and not the chip&pin. if they had got PIN no. they would have done a lot more damage. They make dozens of attempts just to try and get the odd one through....allegedly!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

thecolonel wrote:Warning....Dont use the SCB(Siam Commercial Bank) ATM opposite Hua Hin Hilton, corner of Naresdamri(Hilton Rd) and Soi Selakam i have had my card cloned twice in 5 weeks! im naturally suspicious of the Tuk Tuk taxi rank opposite using 'technology'....anyway whether its them or a skimmer who knows but be warned about this machine!!! If anyone knows of good reason to avoid other such ATM's in HH id appreciate hearing of them!

so i am clear, what type of card? ATM or credit card?

after your card was cloned, what happened? ATM withdrawals? or what?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Credit card but acts like a debit card so all the same. Several debits to card in Bangkok(7 eleven s) first time then India second time. my bank got suspicious so stopped card. It also their opinion that that ATM machine is compromised. With hindsight I was at fault for using it again... Lesson learned!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I always cover the key board where I am entering numbers and 95%+ I use my Thai bank ATM and generally only at their bank or eg inside Makro and Market Village. Opposite the Hilton or such similar street places where wealthy tourists walk also avoid because they offer the 'robber' possible rich pickings.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Sorry but just be clear ...whilst covering the keyboard is clearly very good practice, the 'robber' not having your PIN does not protect you from theft/issues. They can still cause you many ongoing issues even WITHOUT your PIN! But even more trouble if they have it as well obviously. As dtaai-maii suggests i will now avoid using any external ATM and always try to be inside bank building, Thanks all.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

thecolonel wrote:Sorry but just be clear ...whilst covering the keyboard is clearly very good practice
This is very good advice but.... The latest scams involving skimmers also involve overlay keyboards that then record keystrokes. Be observant because most of these units are good and hard to detect.

The very best advice is still to cover the keyboard but seriously only use ATMs that you would find difficult to install this type of equipment, when no one is observing. i.e. Inside banks, guarded buildings etc.

This is not a Thai issue it's in every country. A little common sense goes a long way but is in short supply.

If you show a wad of cash openly, in public, you are asking for trouble!!! Use an ATM in a bar area with drunks who can barely get their card into the reader of the ATM......what are the chances of being ripped off?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Here is the thing, they lay a perfect duplicate of the keyboard over the real keyboard. Also a card reader inside the original card reader. So look at the keyboard? Can you lift it up? Look new or not right someone? I have begun running my fingers along the keyboard and pull up slightly. Better than nothing. Bangkok Bank ATM cards have the chip and only work in BB ATM's.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk