Visa run, need to confirm what I need and where I can go

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Cabba
Novice
Novice

Post by Cabba »

Hello ladies and gents. I am looking for some information about my visa and thought I would post here to see if I can get some clarity. My situation is that I am from Canada and came into Thailand with a Non-Immigrant Type 'O' visa. My wife is Thai. I got the visa in Canada and arrived in Thailand in November. It is a 1 year multiple entry visa. We live in Hua Hin and I need to find out how I can handle this matter. I considered applying for a Marriage visa, but I don't think that it is the easiest way to go since we are planning on going to Canada in June-July so in order for me to get everything together (such as the 400,000THB in a Thai account for 2 months) it wouldn't be worth it. So now I belive that my best plan is to do a visa run, I.e. Go to the border stamp out and stamp back in, which I believe will give me another 90 days since the 1 year visa that I have is valid until November 2016.
So as I'm trying to plan this visa run, I just wanted to know if anyone can confirm that what I'm planning is correct. And also wondering the best way to do the visa run. There is a lot of conflicting posts about this topic so I'm getting confused. I DO have a car, but I'm not sure if driving myself is going to be feasible. If anyone could help me with some of these questions I would be most thankful:
What companies if any are still organizing visa runs out of Hua Hin? If these companies are still active? Contact information or location of these companies? Whether or not the border is opened at this time for visa run (I've heard that the border was closed at some point)? If doing the visa run by car is an option?
Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Visa run, need to confirm what I need and where I can go

Post by usual suspect »

Cabba..I've posted you some info on the other thread running at the moment about visa runs.. :cheers:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

If you have a Non-O multiple entry then Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanburi is your best bet.

It takes about 3 to 3 and a half hours to drive there, the roads aren't bad and the scenery is quite nice, fill up before you go - there's not a huge number of petrol stations once you leave the main road.

You will need a GPS map system as the signposts are typically vague and Phu Nam Ron is hardly signpost-worthy anyway.
Be careful searching for Phu Nam Ron as there are hundreds of them in Thailand.
In Google maps "Phu Nam Ron Priest's Camp Site" is the most accurate 'landmark'. The coordinates should be very close to 13.925126, 99.082872.

When you get there you cannot drive in to Myanmar without a whole heap of documentation including Myanmar Auto Insurance (although in the past I've driven people over to the other side with no problem but not recently). Fortunately there is a guy that will drive you over there for a small fee - 200 baht I think.

Once at Phu Nam Rom, park your car, there's a restaurant on the right hand side with shady parking, walk up to the Immigration, get stamped out, walk on a little bit more and there's a seating area where you can wait for the next 'transit' car, truck or minivan. They'll drive you through to the Myanmar side where I believe you now have to attend the Myanmar Immigration Office in person and pay 500 baht for an entry visa at Htee Khee, then they immediately stamp you out and you get driven back to the Thai side where you come through immigration and get you're next 90 days stamp and the piece of paper.

If you happen to have a crisp 10 USD note you might be able to pay with that rather than the 500 baht.

There is absolutely nothing to do at Phu Nam Ron (except have some cheap food) and even less to do at Htee Khee (except buy some Chinese copy cigarettes and brandy).

The alternative is Ranong, which is a seven or eight hour drive south (again through some beautiful countryside), a short trip across to Kawthaung/Victoria Point, hand over 10 USD get stamped in and stamped out and then do the journey in reverse, however there are things to do in both Ranong and Kawthaung if you want to spend a day or two there. The visa in Myanmar is for 15 days I think but there's restrictions on where you can go alone and restrictions on where you can go with a 'government guide'.
Unless you are on route to Phuket or somewhere down that area I'd go to Phu Nam Ron. It's an easy day trip, it's not busy and doesn't stink of rotten fish.
Cabba
Novice
Novice

Post by Cabba »

Thanks for the great information. I think I will try to do this visa run next week. What is the best time to leave Hua hin and or arrive at the border? Has anyone been there recently? I heard that the border was closed at some point due to the election in Myanmar, so I just wanted to confirm that it's good to go. About the $10 USD, I don't have any USD on me, so I will just make sure I have a few hundred Thai bhat on me and hopefully that is ok.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Cabba..if you leave H.H. at 9.00am..a steady drive gets you there for about 1.00pm..then it will be quiet there with no queues.
The fee is 910B. no need for $10 note, just take your passport..if you have your arrival/departure card inside THEY will fill most of it in for you, & they do the relevant photocopies so no need to worry about taking any.. :cheers:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

The 10 USD is a requirement at Ranong/KawThaung, at Phu Nam Ron /Htee Ktee a 500 baht note is OK.
Cabba
Novice
Novice

Post by Cabba »

Ok cool. So thai Bhat will be ok then. So once I get to the border crossing is it pretty easy to go from there. Signs or something indicating who I should approach about the situation. I'm concerned if I have no clue and I'm alone that I could easily be ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

It's very simple there, there are no touts and no-one trying to scam you.

As you drive up there are a number of new looking official portacabin type buildings on your left related to Customs/Immigration, on your right is a restaurant slightly set back off the road, drive in there and park your car or you can park your car on the main road if you prefer.
Once out of your car you'll see the barriers across the road, walk towards them on the left hand side of the road, there are a couple of small coffee shops there and then you end up walking directly towards the Thai Immigration booth (a small white box with a window). There they will stamp you out of Thailand and give you your passport back.

Once you get your passport back keep walking past that little box to an area that has some tables and white (I think) plastic seats. Someone there, a young lady or young man will take your passport and fill in a T.M.6 arrival/departure card (that's the piece of paper they staple into your passport) and take a photocopy of whatever is needed, you may have to pay them 10 baht or you may not. They will then get some sort of transport to take you to Myanmar, it could be a mini-van, car or pick-up. The drive to Myanmar is only a couple of Kms, you pass the Thai checkpoint, then the Myanmar checkpoint (without getting out) then you arrive at Myanmar Immigration. At this point the driver will either ask you to get out the car and go into immigration or he'll ask you to stay in the car and he will take your passport into Immigration (I think you getting out is the norm these days). If you have to go into Myanmar Immigration, they'll take a photo and you pay them 500 baht and they stamp you in and out at the same time.

Then it's back to the car, drive back through the checkpoints, arrive at Thai Immigration. If you haven't already paid, pay the driver 200 baht or thereabouts, then get out the car which now on the other side of the road, but still the left side (if you know what I mean) there are two immigration booths similar to the one you left from, walk towards them, hand over your passport, get a photo taken and then you get stamped in - check you get the 90 days before you leave the booth.

That's it all done, so walk back to your car, have lunch at the restaurant if you like, and head back to Hua Hin. It really is very simple and quick.
Cabba
Novice
Novice

Post by Cabba »

Thank you for this detailed description. Now I have a great idea what to look for. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk