Immigration to ban overstayed foreigners

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Immigration to ban overstayed foreigners

Post by buksida »

Foreign nationals overstaying in the Kingdom of Thailand will be banned from re-entering the country starting March 20, 2016 according to the latest announcement posted on the Thai Immigration Bureau website.

The site announces that “starting from 20th March 2016, the aliens overstaying in the Kingdom of Thailand for a long period of time will be banned from re-entering the country.”

Offenders will be classified into two groups: one is for those who surrendered themselves to the authority or those who cleared themselves at a border check-point, and two is for those who were arrested and prosecuted.

The prohibition also starts from the day the alien departs from the country. Exception will be given to aliens who depart Thailand before the age of 18 and those who left the country before enforcing this rule.
overstay_eng1.jpg
overstay_eng1.jpg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Source: http://www.immigration.go.th/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Re: Immigration Bureau to enforce ban on overstayed foreigners

Post by PeteC »

I think we'll see that published a lot over the next month. They're hoping IMO that they'll all turn themselves in, pay the old fine and leave before the new rules come in effect. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Just once in Pattaya the police and immigration coopeated and they were touring the bar areas asking to see PP, like many things in Thai it lasted about a week then just faded.
buksida

Post by buksida »

c1_879144_620x413.jpg
c1_879144_620x413.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
The Big Issue: You have my permission to stay
First, though, it’s important to note the Immigration Bureau’s new rules that kick in exactly three weeks from today don’t affect 99.9% of real tourists. These folks can be and will be oblivious. Under the “Good guys in” half of the new immigration slogan, actual tourists will come in legally, have their holiday and go back home - nothing new.

But come March 20, the other half of that slogan kicks in: “Bad guys out.” It covers people who live in Thailand illegally or, in many cases, against the spirit of the rules. These folks have tourist visas or free-entry passport stamps but they stay a long time. They work, far too often in criminal activities, and then they remain in the country longer than permitted by the terms of the immigration stamps in their passports.

Unless they have been in a coma, these people already know the details of what will soon occur. The Immigration Bureau has run one of the best government information campaigns ever. Let’s sum this up in four words.

Overstaying just got serious. After decades of treating visa-overstay less seriously than jaywalking, there now will be real and lasting consequences.

The overstayers aren’t going to prison. Oh, no, it won’t be that easy. The author and enforcer of the new regulations, Immigration Bureau Commissioner Nathathorn Prousoontorn has come up with a more diabolical plan.

He has figured out what overstayers want and now he plans to take it away from them. What do overstayers want? Obviously, they want to remain in Thailand. So he and the computerised blacklist operators at every airport and border crossing are going to kick out those who have overstayed, and not let them back. This is the really new part of the plan - exile.

The banishment is on two, side-by-side sliding scales. The re-entry ban will run from between one and 10 years, depending on how long the overstay was. And those who surrender and confess the overstay will be on the blacklist for a shorter time than those caught by authorities making visa checks.

No one has the right to a visa, but there is an expectation of clear rules. Action moving closer to clearer rules must be appreciated.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... on-to-stay
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Re: Immigration to ban overstayed foreigners

Post by Name Taken »

Thailand only likes the "Bad Guys" that have lots of money.
:laugh: :duck: :guns:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Personally I have no problem in banning someone who overstays, one can't expect to stay in a country illegally and get away with it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

I haven't read it anywhere, but I wonder if they will be looking to seize the assets of the longer overstayers?
That would really put the cat amongst the pigeons for some. :shock:

Maybe they should apply these rules in the UK. :wink:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

redzonerocker wrote:Maybe they should apply these rules in the UK. :wink:
:thumb:
I think all of the overstayers in the U.S. should be rounded up and deported immediately and permanently banned from entering the U.S. for life.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Name Taken wrote:
I think all of the overstayers in the U.S. should be rounded up and deported immediately and permanently banned from entering the U.S. for life.
Couldn't agree more, and not only in the USA
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

StevePIraq wrote:
Name Taken wrote:
Why not shoot them,a bullit is cheaper, and they can't come back :twisted:
I don't hope some of you superior ar.se need to seek asylium one day

:cheers: :cheers:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

bsdk1960 wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:
Name Taken wrote:
Why not shoot them,a bullit is cheaper, and they can't come back :twisted:
I don't hope some of you superior ar.se need to seek asylium one day
:cheers: :cheers:
I don't any reason for them to seek asylum in the U.S.
The U.S. is not a dumping ground for asylum seekers or refugees. They can stay in their own country and fix their own problems.
If they have to give their lives to fix their countries problems and make their country a better place to live then it's unfortunate, but so be it. A lot of Americans died in The Civil War and in The War of Independence(Revolutionary War).
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A lot of Americans died in The Civil War and in The War of Independence(Revolutionary War).
The other side of the coin: a lot of Americans had escaped problems in their original countries and once settled in others' country, destroyed the original inhabitants.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

A bit of law enforcement on this subject is welcome. Eject the douchebags and crack down on the blaggers....seems fine to me if they follow through, which I hope they do....long overdue. I have to go to great lengths to be legal on all fronts from WP to driving licence to whatever. Why shouldn't others (Thais and etc too) be held to the same level? And if they (non Thais) fail to meet it, then deport them...I'm in full agreement. The douchebags have taken the piss for far too long.

One of Thailand's biggest issues of how it is viewed by those who are not Thais, is a mix of apathy/indifference by the surrounding country's people due to the employment opportunities available and a propensity for a tolerance of criminals/corruption (despite it's natural beauty and value for money tourism) by those people from further afield.

Why do you think so many scumbags flee to this place to evade their home country's laws and enforcement agencies? High time the Thais got rid of the garbage.

This image of Thailand as a safe haven for criminals/scumbags/general garbage is one that is long overdue for change.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Spitfire wrote:A bit of law enforcement on this subject is welcome. Eject the douchebags and crack down on the blaggers....seems fine to me if they follow through, which I hope they do....long overdue. I have to go to great lengths to be legal on all fronts from WP to driving licence to whatever. Why shouldn't others (Thais and etc too) be held to the same level? And if they (non Thais) fail to meet it, then deport them...I'm in full agreement. The douchebags have taken the piss for far too long.

One of Thailand's biggest issues of how it is viewed by those who are not Thais, is a mix of apathy/indifference by the surrounding country's people due to the employment opportunities available and a propensity for a tolerance of criminals/corruption (despite it's natural beauty and value for money tourism) by those people from further afield.

Why do you think so many scumbags flee to this place to evade their home country's laws and enforcement agencies? High time the Thais got rid of the garbage.

This image of Thailand as a safe haven for criminals/scumbags/general garbage is one that is long overdue for change.
I 100% second that!!!
YNWA
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Bamboo Grove wrote:
A lot of Americans died in The Civil War and in The War of Independence(Revolutionary War).
The other side of the coin: a lot of Americans had escaped problems in their original countries and once settled in others' country, destroyed the original inhabitants.
That's kind of a vague statement, could you provide some examples of where that has happened?