Overstaying on my ED internship visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Jofawa
Rookie
Rookie

Overstaying on my ED internship visa

Post by Jofawa »

Hello,

My ED internship visa expires today, I want to do a border run and get a tourist visa so i can travel in thailand for 30 days before I go back to Sweden. The problem is that I wont be able to do the border run until the 25th. So I would overstay in thailand for 10 days.

I read somewhere that i just have to pay a fine at the airport 500 baht/day and then it would be okay for me to renter on a tourist visa if i leave the country and then fly back to Thailand, Is that correct ?

Thankful for a quick answer since im starting to get a little bit nervous.

/Johan
JD
Legend
Legend

Re: Overstaying on my ED internship visa

Post by JD »

I wouldn't wait until the 25th and risk the consequences of not being allowed back in on a border crossing. Especially if on the Burma border at Ranong.

Why the 25th?

Get your ass on a bus tomorrow to Chumpon and then on to Ranong. Explain to the Immigration that you found it hard to get a bus seat over Songkran and you have made it here as soon as you could. Immigration was likely closed over the Holiday anyway and your likely to not even get an overstay stamp in your passport. Tourist visa entry back "should" be OK.

Try the above on the 25th and I hope the Gods are smiling on you that day. Just do it via Viet Nam a country that makes it easier to get to the airport and find a cheap flight back to Sweden in case of any problems.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
Jofawa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jofawa »

My brother is here visiting and I really want to spend some time with him before he leaves, that why the 25th would be great since then we could go to the airport together and I can take a flight to vietnam or myanmar or something :)
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

The Thai Government is viewing overstay in a pretty bad light at the moment, you only need an asshole of an immigration officer and you might find yourself and your brother in different places when you decide to leave.

If your brother is here with you now, make a road trip of it, have some fun and experience another side of Thailand.

Some great hot springs in Ranong, I've been a few times and not just to exit and come back, that road from Cumpon to Ranong is beautiful, Jungle, Plantations and Waterfalls. Hot Springs and relaxation in Ranong, go for it and make your stay, and return, to Thailand an easy one.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think a 10-day overstay at this stage, with all the recent non-stop publicity about the new penalties, is taking a very big - and very unnecessary - risk, particularly if you are stopped by police in the meantime.
I'd get to Ranong asap, as advised by JD. Take your brother with you.
This is the way
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Why not take a trip to the Immigration Office in Hua Hin and explain the situation to them. I'm sure they would be helpful extending your visa or changing it to a tourist visa.
YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote:Why not take a trip to the Immigration Office in Hua Hin and explain the situation to them. I'm sure they would be helpful extending your visa or changing it to a tourist visa.
I'm not sure they would - but they would at least tell you what you can or can't do, but they are not open until Monday so that's another two days of overstay. I would definitely follow JD's advice and take a road trip to Ranong with your brother TODAY.