Can an expat get a credit card in thailand?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Can an expat get a credit card in thailand?

Post by StevePIraq »

Well it is all to confusing for me and I really would like a Thai CC instead of using my UK or Australian ones as the charges are excessive.
I followed Euros guidance and went back to Bangkok bank, I stated I wanted to open an account and wanted a credit card - I am on a retirement visa with no Thai income. Open an account no problem, credit card er no way. I asked to see a manager and spoke with a very nice lady who was not the manager but in charge of new accounts, I explained my situation, she was very detailed in explaining the situation to me and even printed the conditions for obtaining a CC, they are the same as on their web site. She explicitly stressed the following:
1.Your citizen ID card, or passport and work permit if you're an expatriate.
2.Proof of your income such as: a payroll slip; a letter certifying your income; a tax withholding slip; or the latest receipt for your annual personal income (she emphasized that this must be Thai income).
As I could not comply with 1 or 2 I was advised I could open an account but not get a credit card.
KTB & TMB have both previously advised the same.
I explained that other expats with no work permit have advised they have CC's and do not have work permits, her only response was she did not know how that was possible.

tax.site.http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... Apply.aspx

I give up.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali