The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: The Journey to a Yellow Book

Post by Big Boy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I certainly won't disagree - that was exactly my thoughts before I started. It was news that certain parts of Prachuap Kiri Khan were issuing them without the mountain of paperwork and expense that prompted me to do it. Unfortunately, the easier methodology did not apply to Hua Hin residents. It did however highlight a serious anomaly with my son's Thailand status that could have come back with serious consequences, which we were able to rectify officially at an early stage.

Once I'd started down the road, and had already paid out some of the cash, it was tempting to withdraw, but I saw it through to the end to hopefully help others make an informed decision. Because of the anomaly, mine was more expensive than most.

Would I call it expensive? Not really.

Is it a waste of time? I've said it already, ask me in 12 months time, and I will give an honest answer. However, it was worth every Baht to correct my son's Thailand status.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

bsdk1960
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm
Location: hua hin/frederiksberg DK.

Re: The Journey to a Yellow Book

Post by bsdk1960 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:44 am

PJG wrote:My wife was recently at our local Amphur Office in Bangkok. She had an appiontment with the big boss on another matter and asked him about a yellow book for me. His reply was that it was an expensive waste of time. "A lot of money for something that means nothing and is of no use"

Think I won't bother and save the cash.
The big boss in Bangkok is not neceserely a big boss in other places

:cheers: :cheers:

User avatar
joelle
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 am
Location: ban kwai

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by joelle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:22 am

thanks BB but all I want is an ID card as I already have the yellow book, do I still need to follow all this procedure ??

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 am

No, just go to the Tessebahn with your Yellow book, and ask for an ID card. They'll probably want to see your passport, but it should be very easy.

Please let us know how you get on - it will be a valuable update to this thread.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

Ianrodders
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Ianrodders » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:32 am

It's as simple as that I got my I'd card in an hour with my yellow book depends on how many people


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
joelle
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 am
Location: ban kwai

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by joelle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:04 pm

thanks BB and Ian will do that at Cha Am Tessabaan and let you know the outcome but it won't be until next month as I am going away and shall return mid march
but will post as soon as I have my id card for sure
have a nice day all and thank you for the replies

GroveHillWanderer
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by GroveHillWanderer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

No doubt these are futile questions but:

1. Does anyone have any idea why the Tessebahn in Hua Hin needs everything certified by the person's embassy and the MFA when (if I understand correctly) other areas will accept certified copies from basically any accredited translation agency?

2. Would this be something that could be referred to the Ombudsman?

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Others will accept from other agencies, but I guess the fact the MFA are geared up for the task, and certainly the British Embassy point you in that direction also, I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

If Hua Hin are aren't doing it correctly, it must be a scam covering many provinces and internal/external agencies.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3132
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Bristolian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:24 pm

I already have a yellow book for my BKK condo but now, nearing retirement, will go for a yellow book for my home in HH. A huge thanks to BB for guiding the way.
There is of course no guarantee that the process remains the same or is viewd differently by a different officer as Buksida points out.

Inconsistently is a fact of life in Thailand and this is due to the "power" and interpretation of induviduals.

So far in my Thai dealings it does present some small challenges but thankfully nothing that has become insurmountable, so far!!!!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: RE: Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by hhinner » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Bristolian wrote:I already have a yellow book for my BKK condo but now, nearing retirement, will go for a yellow book for my home in HH. A huge thanks to BB for guiding the way.
There is of course no guarantee that the process remains the same or is viewd differently by a different officer as Buksida points out.

Inconsistently is a fact of life in Thailand and this is due to the "power" and interpretation of induviduals.

So far in my Thai dealings it does present some small challenges but thankfully nothing that has become insurmountable, so far!!!!
If you already have a yellow tabien baan then the process should be slightly different. You can only be registered in one tabien baan, so what you actually need is a change of registration and a new yellow book. You should probably go to the tessaban and ask what they need to let you change your address registration. It might be easier than you think. Of course, it might also be a lot more complicated. Cheers.

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3132
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Bristolian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:55 am

^ thanks, I had not considered that I am only permitted one yellow book. The process could be simpler with my original BKK yellow book in hand but.... on the other hand it could be a lot more complicated. I'll check out the process first.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

User avatar
buksida
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15912
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:25 pm
Location: south of sanity
Contact:

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by buksida » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:06 am

Big Boy wrote:I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

If Hua Hin are aren't doing it correctly, it must be a scam covering many provinces and internal/external agencies.
How on earth can it be a "scam" if it costs peanuts in other areas to complete this process yet you have to shell out thousands in Hua Hin by going to embassies, MFA, Bangkok etc. Surely then the "scam" would be only in Hua Hin (as we have found to be the case with many other things of similar nature)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Get out there: On The Road Asia

User avatar
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2885
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 am
Location: HuaEireHin

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by JimmyGreaves » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 am

buksida wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

If Hua Hin are aren't doing it correctly, it must be a scam covering many provinces and internal/external agencies.
How on earth can it be a "scam" if it costs peanuts in other areas to complete this process yet you have to shell out thousands in Hua Hin by going to embassies, MFA, Bangkok etc. Surely then the "scam" would be only in Hua Hin (as we have found to be the case with many other things of similar nature)?
Agree, Hua Hin bureaucracy gone mad!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:43 am

JimmyGreaves wrote:
buksida wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I'd think Hua Hin are doing it right, and maybe some other areas are not.

If Hua Hin are aren't doing it correctly, it must be a scam covering many provinces and internal/external agencies.
How on earth can it be a "scam" if it costs peanuts in other areas to complete this process yet you have to shell out thousands in Hua Hin by going to embassies, MFA, Bangkok etc. Surely then the "scam" would be only in Hua Hin (as we have found to be the case with many other things of similar nature)?
Agree, Hua Hin bureaucracy gone mad!
I think you've misunderstood, the scam would be the opposite, and the agencies that are possibly getting rich from it must include the likes of MFA, British Embassy, Provinces involved and translation agencies. Think about it, why would the MFA have a section dedicated to it, why would the British Embassy point expats in that direction, etc., etc.? If the agencies such as Bang Saphan are doing it right, then everybody must be doing it the other way for a reason. If the reason isn't because it's the correct way, money is involved, so I can only imagine some large scale scam.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 30585
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:44 am

BTW it was the British Embassy who rejected my translation done by a Hua Hin Translation service.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....2 Gillingham....1 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Points 20; Position 22

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PeteC, RCer and 6 guests