New requirement to verify income @ Thai Foreign Affairs in Bangkok?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

New requirement to verify income @ Thai Foreign Affairs in Bangkok?

Post by SunandFun »

Can anyone verify this for me? I am scheduled to go to Bangkok on Friday to get my income verification from the US Embassy. I don't want to make a second trip. See post below from Face Book:

"My fellow Americans! A new glitch in the renewal of your year Visa Requirements. When you visit the American Embassy to receive and certify your income also you have another visit to make. The American Embassy doesn't know or if it does won't tell you that you are required to get your declaration of income also approved by the Thai foreign affairs. It's the Changwattana Rd 123 Thung Song Hong . Laksi Bangkok . hours 7-3 Mon- Fri"

also this one:

"My requirements (as informed prior to) for extension for the 3rd year at Hua Hin Immigration on June 17th;
- Embassy Statement of Income
- Said Statement verified by the MofFA
- Copy of Lease
- Copy of rental house Blue House book
- Copy of Landlords ID
- Copy of Landlords Blue House book for his personal residence
- Map to my Residences
Again this is my personal experience only.

The officer at HH Immigration whom I have been acquainted with promptly check my Statement of Income and grinned and nodded when he flipped it over and saw the MoFA stamp. I sensed he was expecting not to see it."

"It's not translation it's to verify the signature guess they don't trust a American Notary"

:cheers:
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Re: ?New requirement to verify Income @Thai Foreign Affairs in Bangkok??

Post by Big Boy »

I can't verify it, but if you look at my Yellow Book thread, a very official document from the British Embassy, including wax seal etc had to be translated and both copies validated by MFA. Probably the honest people paying the price for too many shysters trying to buck the system.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: ?New requirement to verify Income @Thai Foreign Affairs in Bangkok??

Post by SunandFun »

Big Boy wrote:I can't verify it, but if you look at my Yellow Book thread, a very official document from the British Embassy, including wax seal etc had to be translated and both copies validated by MFA. Probably the honest people paying the price for too many shysters trying to buck the system.
Thanks Big Boy. So would you recommend that I go regardless of any comments? Or should I visit the Immigration Office on Monday and ask them first? Do you have to make an appointment to MoFA? Is the above address correct? What is it close to for reference for taxi? Thanks.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Re: New requirement to verify income @ Thai Foreign Affairs in Bangkok?

Post by Big Boy »

I would check with Immigration first. If you do go, I was warned by both British Embassy and translators that you have to be at MFA early (I was told 9am) or they won't do it, so it's an overnight stay.

I'm not good at Bangkok, but it's only a couple of hundred yards from the big racecourse.

Unfortunately their website doesn't help you much http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I'm not good at Bangkok, but it's only a couple of hundred yards from the big racecourse.
Ah, its a bloody long way from any racecourse. There are two address's for the MFA. The one at 443 Sri Ayudhya Rd., Bangkok 10400 Tel : 0-2203-5000 is where all the heads of departments hang out.

The one you need is at Chaeng Wattana Rd, which is not far from Don Muang airport.

here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1 ... ation.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa, just as well I chose to use an agent then :D

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Maybe it has something to do with the difference between the US and UK Embassies. From what I understand, income confirmation from the US embassy only requires the signing of an affidavit. However, the British Embassy requires documentary proof of income in order to get the letter.

Just as a note, the British Embassy only accepts applications by post.

Of course I may be completely wrong as it's almost a year since my last extension.
!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I said, I don't know the answer, but the document I had to get validated recently was the most official document that I'd ever seen, and I'd seen plenty of red tape/officialdom working in the Civil Service for 40 years. Just an extra hoop for Farangs to jump through/job creation for Thais.

As an aside, as I was writing the above, my wife had a call from the agent regarding the re-presentation of my documents tomorrow. The MFA is closed tomorrow. Open again Tuesday.

Points 48; Position 18
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

6 months ago, in January, I extended my retirement visa in Hua Hin for an additional year using the 1 page income affidavit from the US Embassy. This new requirement you mention was not in effect at that time. You download the form from the US Embassy website, fill it out, arrive for your appointment and answer their question that everything is correct on the form. Then they notarize it and you're good to go with immigration. The US Embassy does not want to see any supporting documentation, bank statements or anything else. They are not certifying your income, they are merely notarizing your signature on the document that you are certifying your income on. I've used this method for 2 years now with no problems. When the immigration officer reads through my packet, he glances at the US Embassy form, checks the embossed seal to ensure it is the original copy, then moves immediately to the next page. I tried using a copy of the US Embassy form at immigration but they noticed immediately and made me produce the original. I've got a feeling this new MFA "requirement" is just a rumor, otherwise I think we'd have heard about it before now. If you ask immigration if you need to MFA certification, they may well tell you to do it, but I suspect if you ask them if all you need is the letter from the Embassy they will also tell you that's all they need. It may also be that the MFA certification is required for other nationalities, other than US. I'm obviously speculating a bit here but I know I didn't need the MFA certification 6 months ago. Please let us know if you find out for sure one way or the other.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

another reason for those who can afford it to just keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank all year long.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

I made a s visit to Immigration this morning. Started outside and as usual, no answers or understanding of the question.
I went inside and took a number and waited. The Lady I met with said their were two options: 1) Go to American Embassy in Bangkok and get the Notarized Income Letter then take it to MoFA and they will stamp it with a certification. (Not sure what kind) or 2) Go to American Embassy in Bangkok and get the Notarized Income Letter and bring it back to Immigration with some type of proof that she could not explain. I asked many questions about this but she did not understand what is required for this. She kept saying better for you to go to MoFA and get the stamp. Will keep posting until process complete.

While I was in line waiting, I received this email from MoFA:
" Dear Sir/Madam,

Regarding to your questions, I would like to inform you that for certifying your Income Verification Letter from the US Embassy In Bangkok, you need to contact us in working time and don't need to make an appointment. Our office is located at Legalization Division, Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 123 Changwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210. We open 8.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m., our services are as following;

Legalization Division, Department of Consular Affairs :
Regular Services : 08:00 -15:00 hrs. Legalization process takes 3 working days since the day of submission
and complete required documents are accepted. Fee 200 baht/stamp.
Express Services : - Legalization of genuine signature and true copy service available during 08:00-12:00 hrs.
- Legalization of translation document service available during 08:00 - 09:00 hrs.
- Collection time : Within the day of submission. Fee 400 baht/stamp.

Regards,
Legalization Division​ "
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That sort of falls into line with what the British Embassy and translator told me i.e. Legalization of translation document service available during 08:00 - 09:00 hrs.

Now, if you do go, I had to get my document translated for the MFA also. I've no idea if you would need to do the same. On my Yellow Book page, I have quoted an agent who would do the translation/MFA work, and send back to you by EMS - it would save an extra night in Bangkok.

It might be worth asking if the MFA need the document translated.

Points 48; Position 18