Retirement visa income

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Retirement visa income

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:
Homer wrote: Agreed, from the point of view of those who are either ignorant of or intolerant of colloquial speech.

col·lo·qui·al
kəˈlōkwēəl/
adjective
(of language) used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.
synonyms: informal, conversational, everyday, nonliterary.
Not to mention that when you do your one-year extension of stay, assuming you arrived on an OA visa, the Immigration officials but a stamp in your passport that says "Retirement".
And that make it a visa does it? People that are supposedly native English speakers cannot understand a simple statement. The EXTENSION of the original visa of whatever type, is marked "ON THE BASIS OF RETIREMENT".
I fail to see how that makes it a "visa".

It also applies to an "O" visa, so why does it have to be an "OA"? Just another assumed fact because that is how you read it.
Excuse me Mr perfect, I never said it was a visa, I said when you do your "one year extension of stay". Regarding whether it applies to an O visa as well as an OA visa, I leave that to the "experts" to quote, far be it for me to state something I am not certain of - I arrived on an OA visa and when I do my one year extension of stay, I can read perfectly well what the stamp in my passport says and as I have already posted, those nice people at Immigration include the word Retirement on the stamp, nothing more, nothing less. Just sticking to the facts as you like people to do!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Well said DB.

Just for the record I'm on a "retirement visa" :thumb:
I find that telling someone that I'm on an extension of an 'O' Visa based on retirement such a mouthfull :naughty:

Thank the lord for collequiis...colleq
cuis...collekism....commonly recognized terms of use :duck:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

No,once again i have not used the word Visa,,,,,,,,,,,,accordingly it is also not stated in my passport,it states "RE-ENTRY-PERMIT,so all of this bickering backwards and forwards is certainly not helping the original poster.We all have our own terminology as to what type of visa we have,does it really make any difference!!!! I put the retirement number and multiple entry number on the entry card and have never once been questioned,,,,,,,,i have never done a 90 day report,because of volume of entry/exit.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Tell you what though - I've been trying to advise people about their visas and extensions for years on here. I'm no expert but just if - if - we could agree on some simple technical terms, then it would make life so much more easy.
I've lost count over the years of people getting into a right pickle because they thought a visa was an extension or vice versa.
That's it really.
There are always going to be differences of opinion about terminology but unless we can at least agree on some fundamental framework, the confusion will continue for those who are really looking for information.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Agreed Lomuamart,and i have personally found your information and help always extremely positive and useful and took all your comments on board.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I purchased a single re-entry a couple of months ago when I went to Cambodia. The number on the re-entry stamp is my visa number of several years back.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

ok back on this trail ....im here now and trying to get head around again. Lets say i get retirement visa(extension of stay) in 2 months say 1 feb '17 (ie after 2 mnths of bank deposit) this gives me 1 year, but if i go home in april and return Nov(highly likely) my visa is still valid til 1 Feb '18 but sub to a re-entry permit? and how does that work? and then so i come back Nov '17 and can already stay to 1 feb '18 but then assume you can renew your 1 year visa for another year and another 2000bht? In short im trying to weigh up the pros cons of 'do i need/should get a retirement visa versus a SETV+extension+border run?' for me the initial attraction was avoiding the border run/ trip out....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel wrote:Lets say i get retirement visa(extension of stay) in 2 months say 1 feb '17 (ie after 2 mnths of bank deposit) this gives me 1 year
Don't forget that Hua Hin Immigration require 3 months bank deposit - even for the initial extension.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I won't forget now! I got the 2 month figure from Pattaya city expat club (they said 2 month first one 3 month any subsequent) have now found details for re entry permit but if you leave 6 months into a 1year retire visa when you return do you get the remaining 6 months or does original expiry date still apply?

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think Hua Hin is the only place they ask for 3 months for the first extension.

With a re-entry permit, your original renewal date is retained.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I just recalled that when I discussed this at HH immigration earlier this year (feb) she quoted me a period of time for deposit cash but when I said I was going home by then she then immediately offered less time possibly from 3 months to 2, distinctly recall she came down, so maybe some wiggle room there??!!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe, but do you want to risk not getting your extension based on trying to test the system? Certainly there was no wriggle room for me, but we came to an 'arrangement'.

I arrived on an 'O' Visa, opened a bank account immediately and deposited the money, but 3 months seasoning is impossible on an 'O' visa unless you previously had a Thai bank account.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Well I'm here on an SETV so I guess the quicker I make the deposit the better, as hopefully my extension can be a retirement visa and not a border run to Ranong! .... Thanks

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I can't follow all this, colonel. I mean your dates, your intentions etc but BB has explained the situation exactly. The law is that you only need 2 months to season your savings for the first extension and the reasons for that are obvious - people arriving on single entry Non O visas get 90 day entries and how are they supposed to qualify for 3 months seasoning unless they have a Thai bank account and the funds in there already? But HH Imm don't get that.
You're now talking about a single entry tourist visa. Well, number 1, you can't get an annual extension off a tourist visa. You will need a Non Immigrant visa. It's as simple as that. Whether you upgrade the tourist visa to a Non Imm at Imm here within Thailand or go out of the country to get the Non Imm is up to you. But you need the non Imm visa and there are time constraints to qualify for an annual extension within Thailand - that old 90 day seasoning thing.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Sorry my late Mother always said I was born awkward! To clarify I came on a SETV but I'm trying to get a non O (retirement) whilst here so will start seasoning sharpish! if I fail in to get in time I will have to go to Ranong(for this trip extension) but i say again I'm beginning to question whether it's actually that beneficial for someone who principally wants 5 months here, thanks to both