Thailand to double visa-on-arrival fee

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Thailand to double visa-on-arrival fee

Post by buksida »

Foreign visitors from 19 countries and territories will be required to pay an increased fee for visas on arrival from next month onward.

The fee is raised to 2,000 baht, up from 1,000 baht.

The new requirement will come to effect on Sept 27, the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Department of Consular Affairs announced yesterday.

The 19 countries and territories are Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

The cabinet approved the increase in the visa-on-arrival fee in January.

Foreigners from the 19 countries and territories are allowed to stay in Thailand for up to 15 days.

The hike in the fee is aimed at reducing the long queues at immigration checkpoints.

There are 42 immigration checkpoints including Suvarnabhumi airport and Don Muang international airport where foreigners can apply for visas on arrival.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1066376/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Thailand to double visa-on-arrival fee

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:The hike in the fee is aimed at reducing the long queues at immigration checkpoints.
I thought the idea was to increase tourism.

[Edit] Different Government department I guess :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Oh dear, oh dear. Another ill thought out idea from a government official who feels he/she has to justify their position by making changes. Looking at the list of countries, I would imagine that most of those travellers will be flying in (not doing an overland border crossing). The 'reducing the queues' reason, is a ridiculous statement to try to cover up the fact that they actually want to make a bit more dosh. I would have thought that after the recent bad publicity the government would have wanted to reduce or even waiver visa fees to encourage more tourists. But what do I know... :?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Both VN and Canbodia have made entry easier.but BANG, THai shoots itself in the foot again.