Non re retirement visa extension change to marriage

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Non re retirement visa extension change to marriage

Post by StevePIraq »

I have a Non RE Retirement visa which I have been on for a number of years, I am looking to change to a marriage visa, mainly to reduce the amount of cash required in the bank. Has anyone done this, what are the steps as I cannot find info on the immigration web site.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Re: Non RE Visa change to Marriage Visa

Post by buksida »

These are still the official immigration rules: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23918&start=34

But be aware that Hua Hin *may* ask for some additional things not on that list such as:

1) Relations/parents of your wife and or other witnesses to be present.
2) Ministry of foreign affairs letter/stamp verifying embassy proof of income (if you take that route and dont have money in a Thai bank for 3 months).
3) Offspring (if you have them) to be present.
4) More photos than necessary.

The bottom line is they wont like doing it as it is a LOT more paperwork and hassle than a retirement extension. I know several people that have gone for this type of extension in recent months and not one of them had a smooth process.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Non RE Visa change to Marriage Visa

Post by StevePIraq »

Thanks Buks, it doesn't seem too onerous so I will give it a shot
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
perfectvolley

Re: Non re retirement visa extension change to marriage

Post by perfectvolley »

Hello Steve,

i have done exactly that procedure. Change from retirement to marriage visa and it was a long way. It is right the authority
dont want you to do so. This is what they asked me for additional to the official stuff.
1) 8 Pic. in front of my house with you housenr. to be seen, in the garden, in the livingroom, in the kitchen.
2) A whitness is case you dont have children. The witness must be a thai resident and living in Hua Hin.
3) A hand written drawing where your house is located.

This year the woman at the immigration recommend me to do the retirement visa....
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Occasionally that other forum has stories from people that applied for stays based on marriage but ended up with retirement because it's easier for the immigration officers. The recommendation seems to be too not show enough income or money in the bank for a retirement extension then they have to do the marriage one. Not saying there would be any problem at Hua Hin. :)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

the income for a retirement visa and a marriage visa are the same. $2000u.s. a month. no money in the bank. or 800,000bht in the bank and no yearly statement of income form from the embassy. the main difference is there's much more paper work with a marriage visa. simpler to get a retirement visa.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The minimum income requirement for retirement extensions is 65K THB a month and 40K THB for marriage.
Savings requirements are 800K and 400K respectively.
So, there are large differences.
As has been said, if you qualify for a retirement extension, Imm will push you any way they can to apply for that as it's easier for them. It's not just a case of having to deal with more paperwork for the marriage extension but also the fact that local offices don't approve them. They all have to be sent to BKK for approval. You get a 30 day "under consideration" stamp in the meantime. Local offices don't want to get the paperwork wrong when their big brother is getting involved.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have previously questioned the marriage visa and was advised/pushed by immigration to stick with the retirement visa. So for those who did go the Marriage visa route how did you force the issue?