Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by buksida »

Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night
The confirmation follows complaints from long-term expats that they were fined B2,000 for not re-registering their home addresses after travelling within the country.

“By law, it is a requirement to register your address within 24 hours after being registered elsewhere, such as at a hotel or a guesthouse,” Col Kathathorn told The Phuket News this week.

“This is because the hotel or guest house will have to register you, also by law, as residing somewhere other than your residence. So when you return to your residence, you must inform immigration,” he explained.

The same also applies for foreigners living in Phuket who leave the country and return, say for a weekend trip to Singapore.

Col Kathathorn played down concerns for honest, law-abiding expats.

“Although it is the law, if it’s a short stay, for example a day or two, and nothing happens to prompt officials to check then there usually won’t be a problem,” he said, for stays away from home within the country.

“However, if you become involved in an incident and become a suspect in a case for example, not re-registering your address will be a big problem. So it’s better if you do.”

Regardless, although the overall effect for most foreigners caught not re-registering their address each time on returning home to Phuket might be deemed negligible, foreigners will be liable to a B2,000 fine for each infringement and the incident will remain on their immigration record.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/better-if ... DUqKwOi.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by RCer »

So, does this mean I have to report being home after a 3 day hospital stay in BKK?
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you live in Phuket, yes.

Not sure if Hua Hin is enforcing this yet.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I don't know about Hua Hin, but in Korat, it seemed as much to do with what mood the immigration officer was in that morning.

It's a real strange one isn't it. They have your residential address, why they deem this should change just because you spent a couple of nights in a hotel or whatever, is crazy.

Still, keeps them in work!
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

The good Colonel confirms in a succinct quote ("it's the law ... it usually won't be a problem") what we all know about Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It must be done because it’s the law. It’s the law in many countries
I'm curious as to which other countries have the same law.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This is just the "Con-de-jour" this may be one area where the Thai inability to continue what they start works in our favour.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It would be a better idea to put their efforts into making the 90 day online reporting workable.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 am It would be a better idea to put their efforts into making the 90 day online reporting workable.
I thought they'd fixed it. Worked last time I used it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Last time I did 90 day reporting I timed it--I was in and out in 17 mins--I think that is an excellent service.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But can you do this 24 Hour reporting at Bluport? Going to the main office often takes longer.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am Last time I did 90 day reporting I timed it--I was in and out in 17 mins--I think that is an excellent service.
There must have been a queue. Done the last 2 at Bluport and each time I've been in and out in 5 mins. Checked my watch each time.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I just stopped and chatted with Immigration at Bluport about this checkin.

As I suspected, something got lost in translation.

It only applies when traveling outside Thailand and returning. Not within Thailand.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

RCer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:23 pm I just stopped and chatted with Immigration at Bluport about this checkin.

As I suspected, something got lost in translation.

It only applies when traveling outside Thailand and returning. Not within Thailand.
But even that is a change, although it may be written somewhere about reporting to imm within 24 hours of arrival from overseas, I don’t think many people ever follow this practice with no consequences- I wonder if they are going to make this compulsory now?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm
But even that is a change, although it may be written somewhere about reporting to imm within 24 hours of arrival from overseas, I don’t think many people ever follow this practice with no consequences- I wonder if they are going to make this compulsory now?
Unless one is sneaking into Thailand, how do you not report to Immigration on entry?