Kanchanaburi Visa Run - Phu Nam Ron border

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Mal
Novice
Novice

Kanchanaburi Visa Run - Phu Nam Ron border

Post by Mal »

I am nearly out of my tourist visa and would like to renew it on a day trip. Has anyone done Kanchanaburi recently is it a good option to go and come in a day or are there others.??? Thanks
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Kanchanaburi Visa Run

Post by oakdale160 »

MY advice, if you do go to K, don't be in such a hurry, it is a delightful, historical place and will give you a glimpse of "another" Thailand. Stay at least one night, there are many small inexpensive hotels by the river.
Michaelpum
Rookie
Rookie

Kanchanaburi Visa Run

Post by Michaelpum »

They dont do visa exempt stamps at the Kanchanaburi crossing. One needs an existing valid visa in order to go out and in.

Without a visa, the closest crossing is at Ranong.
paul406

Post by paul406 »

According to Expats on Thaivisa.com
Kanchanaburi does indeed now accept visa runs. That is the the 30 day Visa exempt stamp can be done there.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Has any one done a Visa run to Ban Phu Nam Ron, Kanchanaburi recently? I have to go soon and have just been told that they are asking that you now have a Myanmar visa before they let you go.

Wondering if this is fact or 'rumour mill'
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Sabai Jai wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:31 am Has any one done a Visa run to Ban Phu Nam Ron, Kanchanaburi recently? I have to go soon and have just been told that they are asking that you now have a Myanmar visa before they let you go.

Wondering if this is fact or 'rumour mill'
Check with this guy:
https://www.facebook.com/visarunkanchan ... l&fref=tag
buksida

Re: Kanchanaburi Visa Run - Phu Nam Ron border

Post by buksida »

I presume it is but anyone know if you can cross this border at weekends?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Kanchanaburi Visa Run - Phu Nam Ron border

Post by buksida »

In answer to my own question - yes you can, just been there. For the benefit of others I will share the experience.

Arrived at around 10.30 and parked on the road near the crossing on the Thai side (you don't have to park in the car park 400 meters back down the road). To cross you need to go to a little shed which is set back for the 'one stop service' - nobody tells you this so you have to ask a few people as it is a bit of a melee there. At the shed they'll deprive you of 960 baht and do your re-entry TM card, which has a little batman stamp on it resembling the ticket.

Then you go and get stamped out of Thailand and wait in the little shop for the minivan. This arrived about 15 minutes later and we piled aboard, it was mostly Lao and Vietnamese people also doing visa runs. The van then heads about 3 kilometers to the end of Thailand and into Burma where the road turns to shit and he's driving on the other side.

This border town is like something out of Mad Max, not somewhere you want to spend a lot of time which was fortunate because the van drove us straight to a little mom and pop store about a kilo away full of smokes and booze. On arrival another dude turns up and takes all the passports away for the Burmese in and out stamps. You'll get fifteen minutes to load up on duty free, I grabbed a slab of Myanmar Beer and a bottle of JW. Having travelled through Burma before I knew this was over priced here at 650 baht a carton but it is good beer and still cheaper than the Thai crap.

The passport wallah returned and we all piled back into the van to tackle the rough km or so of road back to the Thai border. I was back over and stamped into Thailand before midday. The van driver hid the beer under the seat incase we got checked at customs, which we didn't, and I picked it up from the little shed we started out from. Very quick and easy process - once you've done it once and figured out where to go!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Border visa run

Post by joelle »

Does anyone know if it is still possible to a border run to Kanchanaburi and if yes how to proceed?
PeteC

Re: Border visa run

Post by PeteC »

Here is an older thread to start with before anyone with more recent experience comes along. I would think much of what's in it is still valid though.

You need to go across into Myanmar, then back into Thailand again. I would be concerned about what Covid-19 rules Thailand has for Myanmar? You could find yourself having to self isolate for 14 days...I don't know as not up to date on Thailand's position with them.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36417
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

I did this about 2 weeks ago, very easy, but things are changing fast.
I follow a board where there was a guy there NOW and he said they were reluctant to let people through, did in the end, but when asked if they would be open tomorrow, could give no definite answer.
Also, check this:
https://www.mmtimes.com/news/myanmar-qu ... y_F9dnEcnk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Thanks for the answers, I understand the situation changes every day at the moment what is fine today might not be the case next week
Will keep an eye on the link from PBbeacher