Open a Bank Account with 30 Day Visa Exemption Stamp

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Open a Bank Account with 30 Day Visa Exemption Stamp

Post by Big Boy »

This question is one that is regularly asked, and the usual answer is, ‘if one bank refuses, go to the next one,’

A friend on a 30 day exemption stamp tried that, and failed at every bank. So with the help of another friend, who knows a bank manager, we asked nicely if it was permitted. The answer came back that it was, but a few simple hoops had to be jumped through first.

I will keep names, banks. Etc. anonymous, just in case we’ve done anything wrong, but I think what follows is the correct procedure. I have started a new thread, and will make it a sticky, but my colleagues may merge it with one of the many threads already in existence.

Really, there is only one hoop, but it involves getting a letter from Immigration first. We did just that this morning, so this is how we did it:

• Went to the nice lady at the Immigration photo copy desk, and told her what we needed.
• She asked for:
o Passport
o Proof of residence (in this case a letter from the hotel confirming she was resident there).
o 2 Passport photographs.
• Various photocopies were made at a cost of 18 Baht.
• 2 Forms were given to my friend to complete.

Next step was to ask the ‘real immigration officers’. My friend was directed to the door marked Staff (so not the normal office that we all love). The young lady checked everything, asked for 500 Baht and told her to wait outside.

10 minutes later, the Immigration lady appeared with the letter.

I then drove my friend to the bank, where she opened an account. After presenting the Immigration letter, there were no questions asked.

Simples
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
DaveQ
Novice
Novice

Re: Open a Bank Account with 30 Day Visa Exemption Stamp

Post by DaveQ »

Hi, firstly I should introduce myself, I'm a UK national who has a residence in Cha Am, but I still work in various countries so don't get to spend as much time here as I would like,

I have been a lurker on this forum for a few years, and it has provided me with some excellent tips and information. For that I thank you all,

I am now starting the process of obtaining an OA retirement visa, with the first step being the obvious "open a Thai bank account".

However over the last few days, and several different bank visits (with immigration letter in hand as suggested) it appears Thai banks have had a recent fundamental rule change, and no longer provide bank accounts to visitors with tourist visas. This was the same story at each bank, so the "just try the next one" rule doesn't seem to work any more.

It leads to the obvious question: with several long term visa types requiring proof of funding at a Thai bank, how is this to be acheived with the current rule changes?

My hope is that immigration will realise there is a mis-match of requirements and update them, but then maybe I'm being too optimistic. So for now it looks like I'll be better off trying the LTR remote-worker option.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The first thing that I will advise is: do NOT get an O-A visa!
The easiest way is to obtain a 90 day tourist visa, then convert it when you get here to a simple O visa. There are several threads about it.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And of course the 90 days allows you to open a bank account to “season” the funds ready for your long-term visa application. As Nereus has already mentioned, definitely better to go for the O visa rather than OA which requires you to have medical insurance which will either be expensive, not worth having in respect of what it covers, or a combination of both!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

...........I'm a UK national who has a residence in Cha Am,........
Just as a point of interest: how do you have a residence in Cha Am without a bank account? :?
DaveQ
Novice
Novice

Post by DaveQ »

Nereus wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm
Just as a point of interest: how do you have a residence in Cha Am without a bank account? :?
It's a loan through the developer, deposit and monthly payments are paid directly from my UK account.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

DaveQ wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:52 pm
Nereus wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 pm
It's a loan through the developer, deposit and monthly payments are paid directly from my UK account.
Ok, thanks. It may be an idea to ask the developer to go with you to a locql bank.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Nereus wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:42 pm The first thing that I will advise is: do NOT get an O-A visa!
The easiest way is to obtain a 90 day tourist visa, then convert it when you get here to a simple O visa. There are several threads about it.
I couldn’t agree more ! Unfortunately I came into Thailand with a “ Non-immigrant OA” visa 10 years ago, obtained from the Thai consulate in Los Angeles USA, and have been saddled with the health insurance requirements since they were implemented several years ago. Over the years, I’ve helped many friends and family members come in on a tourist visa exempt status, then apply for a “Non-Immigrant O” visa once they are in Thailand. As far as I know, obtaining a “Non-Immigrant OA” visa is not even an option once you are in Thailand. My friends and family members had no trouble opening a Thai bank account once they had the 500 baht Residence Certificate (letter) from Immigration, while in Thailand on a tourist visa exempt status. I’ll be very interested (and surprised) to learn if something has changed to prevent people entering on tourist visa exempt status then opening a bank account.