GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
Post Reply
niggle
Guru
Guru
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:40 pm

GBP vs THB

Post by niggle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:10 pm

Looking a bit brighter now - todays ATM rate was 65.79 THB to GBP

Paderborn
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:14 am

Post by Paderborn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:38 pm

Thank goodness for that as the pinch was certainly being noticed in our monthly budget.
But....is this the pound rallying or the Baht dropping? either way I like the increase

Answers on a postcard haha

niggle
Guru
Guru
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by niggle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:22 pm

methinks its the baht dropping but I stand to be corrected by my learned colleagues

PJG
Professional
Professional
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:48 am

Post by PJG » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:38 pm

I think it is a bit of both as the sentiment in Uk seems to be that interest rates are going to rise to fight inflation. That usually strengthens the currency. The view on the Baht at the moment is that it is overvalued.

User avatar
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 am
Location: HuaEireHin

Post by JimmyGreaves » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Yep That's looking better!

Live rates at 2008.06.24 14:16:49 UTC
1.00 GBP = 66.1295 THB
United Kingdom Pounds Thailand Baht
1 GBP = 66.1295 THB 1 THB = 0.0151219 GBP
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip

User avatar
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4950
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 pm

Post by Super Joe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Image

User avatar
Spitfire
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5127
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Thailand

Post by Spitfire » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 am

It's about time this started, sure everyone has felt the pinch, considering it was 74-76 about 18 months or so ago.

Never quite understood why these exotic currencies gain so much ground over the main western currencies(or the western ones lose so much ground), doesn't make any sense to me.

The baht has enjoyed an overly extended period of time being over-valued.

Looking forward to getting over 7000 baht again for a 100 pounds.
The state has a monopoly on violence - Max Weber

User avatar
STEVE G
Hero
Hero
Posts: 11740
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 am
Location: HUA HIN/EUROPE

Post by STEVE G » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 am

That steep drop from Nov 07 was actually the pound devaluing more than other Western currencies, rather than the baht strengthening; the Euro/Baht looks like this:

Image[/img]

User avatar
Wanderlust
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:27 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Post by Wanderlust » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am

What caused the spike in early mid January in both currencies? That looks a lot like intervention to me, unless there was some event that caused it but I can't recall anything.

User avatar
kendo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3774
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Southampton.

Post by kendo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:46 pm

The wifes poping back next month, and we have been looking at the exchange rate in Bangkok banks web site at the moment it is at 65.47THB - 1.00GBP i am fairly sure that you get a better exchange rate from the ATM can anyone conform this and if so what is the current rate. :cheers:

User avatar
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Here,there and everywhere

Post by malcolminthemiddle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:03 pm

Wanderlust wrote:What caused the spike in early mid January in both currencies? That looks a lot like intervention to me, unless there was some event that caused it but I can't recall anything.
My charts also show a substantial, very sharp, down then back up again movement in all the major world stock markets at the same time. But what caused this movement I do not know. Anyone?

Don East Stand
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 pm

Post by Don East Stand » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Kendo,

I got 66.282 baht to the pound when I used the ATM the other day! :D :cheers: :cheers:

PET
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1421
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Post by PET » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:05 pm

The Buying Rate for Telex Transfers at Kasikornbank today was 66.20875 :wink:

User avatar
STEVE G
Hero
Hero
Posts: 11740
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 am
Location: HUA HIN/EUROPE

Post by STEVE G » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:15 pm

malcolminthemiddle wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:What caused the spike in early mid January in both currencies? That looks a lot like intervention to me, unless there was some event that caused it but I can't recall anything.
My charts also show a substantial, very sharp, down then back up again movement in all the major world stock markets at the same time. But what caused this movement I do not know. Anyone?
It might have been the announcement of Bush's 150 billion dollar economic package on 18th January. Things went down again when people decided it wasn't going to solve the sub-prime issue.

User avatar
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Here,there and everywhere

Post by malcolminthemiddle » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 pm

STEVE G wrote:
malcolminthemiddle wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:What caused the spike in early mid January in both currencies? That looks a lot like intervention to me, unless there was some event that caused it but I can't recall anything.
My charts also show a substantial, very sharp, down then back up again movement in all the major world stock markets at the same time. But what caused this movement I do not know. Anyone?
It might have been the announcement of Bush's 150 billion dollar economic package on 18th January. Things went down again when people decided it wasn't going to solve the sub-prime issue.
Found this on the web :
Stock markets around the globe have plummeted over growing fears of a worldwide recession. In Japan, the Nikkei market has seen its worst two-day decline in nearly two decades. In India, the country’s main stock index suffered its second-worst single-day tumble in history. In Germany, the Frankfurt Stock Exchange dropped seven percent Monday, its steepest one-day decline since the Sept. 11 attacks. Monday marked the first day of trading since President Bush called for a $145 billion economic stimulus package.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests