GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by HHTel »

But the stock market valuation is not strictly true. Take the profit in dollars but value the company in sterling which is why the FTSE is high. I'm learning but now understand why when the pound sinks, the stock market rises.

A false reading.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

It depends on each individual case. But if you have a reasonable UK stock portfolio you will have made a tidy profit ( on paper )
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dundrillin wrote:It depends on each individual case. But if you have a reasonable UK stock portfolio you will have made a tidy profit ( on paper )
A tidy profit in pounds, nothing else as the currency has dropped by more than the rise in the FTSE.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Seems like the GBP is in free fall. Just checked XE currency converter and it's 43.44 to THB (that's a fall of over 0.5 THB in the last 45 mins).
Don't know why I bother depressing myself in the mornings!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

as long as I have been in Thai I have heard British guys 'threaten' --f the pound drops any further I am going to back my bag and go back to the UK--- Does this ever happen, anybody know any guy who did that because of the Ex-rate.??
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

oakdale160 wrote:as long as I have been in Thai I have heard British guys 'threaten' --f the pound drops any further I am going to back my bag and go back to the UK--- Does this ever happen, anybody know any guy who did that because of the Ex-rate.??
I wonder if it has stopped anyone from retiring to here as well, it might knock a few out of the running, due to not qualifying for the 65000bht a month requirement for visa
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've known plenty who've had to go back because they've got no money left but, of course, that's not the same as getting insufficient income because of the exchange rate.
Hopefully, there are always ways to tighten the belt - drop a game of golf, don't go out for that meal, stop smoking (note to self to try that!!) etc etc.
But there must be plenty who are thinking about whether they can meet next year's annual visa extension requirements. People such as those may have no option but to move on or return home.
Again, that's not quite what you're asking but these large negative fluctuations sure don't make it easy for any of us.
jongjoe, our posts crossed.
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Drgonzo »

I expect 40 Baht to the pound before the end of 2016.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37582150

Flash crash 'triggered by algorithm' drags pound lower.......
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

lomuamart wrote:Seems like the GBP is in free fall. Just checked XE currency converter and it's 43.44 to THB (that's a fall of over 0.5 THB in the last 45 mins).
Don't know why I bother depressing myself in the mornings!!
You can console yourself that it is still going down 43.3362 now
Last edited by StevePIraq on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I keep track of exchange rates due to invoicing in differing currencies % change from 7 June 2011 is as follows:

GBP > THB -11.69%
USD > THB - +9.48%
AUD > THB - 18.14%
Euro > THB - 12.42%

Not a pretty picture unless receiving in USD, going back even further gives a much worse picture.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!!! I wasn't aware the Euro was faring worse than the GBP (no F'ing pound symbol on this new laptop :cry: ).
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Drgonzo wrote:I expect 40 Baht to the pound before the end of 2016.
I've seen predictions from some financial institutes that show it going down to 1.10 to the dollar which would be about 38.5 to the baht. Basically large amounts of investment are being pulled out of the UK due to a lack of confidence in the future.
Drgonzo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Drgonzo »

StevePIraq wrote:I keep track of exchange rates due to invoicing in differing currencies % change from 7 June 2011 is as follows:

GBP > THB -11.69%
USD > THB - +9.48%
AUD > THB - 18.14%
Euro > THB - 12.42%

Not a pretty picture unless receiving in USD, going back even further gives a much worse picture.
This is what makes gold so attractive as it is priced in USD.
Great insurance to have some Krugerrands when you are a long way from home too.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

(no F'ing pound symbol on this new laptop
Mine doesn't either, but depending on which word program you have, It may be there. Using the UK English option the £ sign is obtained with using the # key, which works as marked using the US English option.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!