GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by HHTel »

There's always the twenty grand option. I'm sure you know what I mean!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes I know of that one, wink wink, nod, nod, say nah more
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Just a hint from the B of E that they "might consider" raising the prime the next time they review it, though not at the moment, is enough to make the pound rise quite considerably.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pound soars after BoE's hawkish note

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/wor ... wkish-note

The pound climbed to the highest level against the dollar since just after the Brexit vote and UK government bonds tumbled as Bank of England policy maker Gertjan Vlieghe stoked speculation of an interest-rate increase within months.

Sterling surged past $1.36 after Vlieghe, considered a dovish monetary policy voter, turned hawkish to tell a conference the moment was approaching for a rate hike. The premium to hold call options on the pound relative to puts rose to the widest since 2009, as markets moved to price two rate increases next year.

The pound is the world's best-performing major currency this month as the BoE's comments suggest it could look past sluggish wage growth to remove the monetary stimulus placed after last year's Brexit vote.

"The evolution of the data is increasingly suggesting that we are approaching the moment when the bank rate may need to rise," Vlieghe said in a speech at the Society of Business Economists in London. If the economy continues apace, "the appropriate time for a rise in the bank rate might be as early as in the coming months."
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Going to need a bit of a pound recovery with all these tax grabs and the moronic government decision making resulting in life in Thailand becoming silly expensive and difficult. As if it wasn't restrictive enough already.

Very different place to what convinced me to stay when I got here. If not for having put so much time, effort, emotion and money etc. into sorting out a cushy existence here...I would have probably bailed by now.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Yes the BOE Vlieghe implying a rate rise which is good for now , though the way the Brexit talks seem to be going , it looks like the GBP will nose dive again.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

GBP to THB has been going up steadily since 19 August however you have to go back to September 2016 since it was last at this level. It is going to take a huge increase to make any real difference to Brits.

USD to THB is at a 2 year low.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:18 pm GBP to THB has been going up steadily since 19 August however you have to go back to September 2016 since it was last at this level. It is going to take a huge increase to make any real difference to Brits.

USD to THB is at a 2 year low.
The only chance of a huge increase in the GBP is the remote chance of Brexit reversal..More likely it will become a hard Brexit then the GBP is going way down in the longer term.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I think if the UK gets some concessions and signs trade agreements that will also see a fair increase.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

If it's a hard Brexit, then it will take 5 years after the exit before the pound gets back to a decent realistic level....in other words once the important trade deals have been made. A reasonable deal with the Borg collective in Brussels will speed that up though.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:44 pm I think if the UK gets some concessions and signs trade agreements that will also see a fair increase.
After listening to the European Union address by Juncker they seem to be taking a very hard line and they probably dont want to make concessions , and more likely want to punish the UK as lesson to any other EU Members who want to exit.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Agreed, they are scared stiff that others may follow so will go all out to make it hard for the UK. Personally I believe this will change over time. Germany for one just cannot afford to lose it's car sales to the UK, in 2015 it was 55Bn Euro.

But anyway this is for another thread Brexit I think http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32640
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:52 pm Agreed, they are scared stiff that others may follow so will go all out to make it hard for the UK. Personally I believe this will change over time. Germany for one just cannot afford to lose it's car sales to the UK, in 2015 it was 55Bn Euro.

But anyway this is for another thread Brexit I think
Yes Brexit a thread would be appropriate , but as this is GBP v THB , Brexit does have a major impact on GBP , I doubt they will change over time , Germany will be hit hard but UK will be hit harder , in my opinion the GBP will tank as will the UK economy unless a Brexit reversal happens which I reckon is the end game for both sides.

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32640
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Does any poster have really serious plan to return to the UK if the baht gets below a certain level, say 40. I group of British guys that I know had this conversation some time ago and all agreed, below 45 and they are gone, but they are still all here.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

johnjar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm Yes Brexit a thread would be appropriate , but as this is GBP v THB , Brexit does have a major impact on GBP , I doubt they will change over time , Germany will be hit hard but UK will be hit harder , in my opinion the GBP will tank as will the UK economy unless a Brexit reversal happens which I reckon is the end game for both sides.
Heard it all before from the remoaners and the buffoons in Brussels. :roll:

Weren't we supposed to nosedive straight into a deep recession after the Brexit result, countless other horrific financial disasters, followed swiftly by world war 3 ?? :roll: . . . . . :blabla:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.