GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, can we keep this thread to GBP vs THB please?

We have a Brexit thread here http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32640

:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 pm Does any poster have really serious plan to return to the UK if the baht gets below a certain level, say 40. I group of British guys that I know had this conversation some time ago and all agreed, below 45 and they are gone, but they are still all here.
Only one person I know and as I previously posted "The straw that will break the camels back will be when your UK pension no longer meets the requirements of 65k Baht per month to allow you to stay. "
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:27 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 pm Does any poster have really serious plan to return to the UK if the baht gets below a certain level, say 40. I group of British guys that I know had this conversation some time ago and all agreed, below 45 and they are gone, but they are still all here.
Only one person I know and as I previously posted "The straw that will break the camels back will be when your UK pension no longer meets the requirements of 65k Baht per month to allow you to stay. "
And of course we all know there are ways around that!...... or so I'm told. :roll:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The baht to the pound is looking at it's lowest level over the last 10 years. It must be hurting a lot of us who rely on UK income!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Down 36.14% since 2008, disaster for those on a fixed pension.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I go back to work in the UK twice a year, & now I can honestly say (for me).. it's cheaper to live there than here!
OK, I live in the north, not the expensive home counties, But apart from examples such as Lecky & water bills, & maybe eating out at the food-courts..I do think my money buys more over there now.

BUT..All of you please remember the line from that eternal song...
..."We are just prisoners here, of our own device" :bow: :cheers:
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Its actually at 42,65 at this moment in time,,,,,,,,,,,i agree with US,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,life back in the UK,can be cheaper.
I also believe it can be cheaper living in other close South East Asian countries.
Its down to individual circumstances obviously,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but from a UK/£ point of view,its sure not going to get better in the near term.
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Expecting to stay in Thailand for the long term the GBP/THB Exchange Rate and anticipated fall in sterling was one of the main reasons I decided to buy property rather than rent. If I was going back to the UK I would be taking back awing a tidy profit
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

One good point if selling up here and moving back to the UK is you would get a lot more GBP for your Baht.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just looked at the long term forecast for the Baht/GBP. I do hope they've got it really wrong.

From WalletInvestor.com

Current rate: 42.507
1 year: 39.587
5 years: 23.737

And that's the interbank rate. If it comes true then I doubt there'll be many brits here, except the filthy rich.
I, for one, couldn't even attempt to manage on that rate!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps a typo and they meant 33.737 or even 43.737. Must be another info source to double check, but I wouldn't fret over a 5 year out prediction. Let me see if the same source says anything about the USD/Baht. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Yes, they have the USD down 31.3% at 5 year. Crazy numbers as no one could predict that or what you say about the GBP
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A review of some "respected" economists' opinion is a 3-4% drop in the value of GDP in the next year, that's a 41baht rate. Any forecast further ahead than that is smoke & mirrors.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But the main reason is the growth in the Thai economy, obviously coupled with the impact on sterling over Brexit.
Already in 2017, Thai exports have totalled US$95.5 billion, up +9.7% year-on-year, as demand for Thailand's goods has grown internationally, thanks to a global economic comeback. So this trend could continue in 2018 too!
Thai car exports to Australia have rocketed since Australia stopped manufacturing their own cars, now importing most from Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

I keep an eye on AUD THB forecast via this site https://audtoday.com/aud-to-thb-forecast
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Aussie69 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:10 pm I keep an eye on AUD THB forecast via this site https://audtoday.com/aud-to-thb-forecast
Not too good a site concerning GBP vs THB!