Luggage allowance.

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Luggage allowance.

Post by bluezephyr »

I was told yesterday that i am allowed x2 suitcases on an international flight, I was always under the impression it was 1@ 20kilo's, But am i allowed 2x suitcases at 23k's?
If so its a bit of a con charging for extra weight when another suitcase is free.
KLM website.
http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/travel_ ... /index.htm

Would be really handy to bring a seperate suitcase filled with clothes & bits for Mercy house.
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Each airline seems to have different rules - check with their website - usually in FAQs.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Luggage Allowance

Post by margaretcarnes »

I used KLM/China last year and it was 20k in total. 2 cases not exceeding 20k in total were no problem, and an extra package would have been OK as well.
However, if you are using KLM for the UK to Schipol leg they often use a small twin prop and hand luggage can be a problem when the plane is full.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

You are usually allowed 2 pieces of luggage if you are flying to the US, and apparently some African countries, I presume you are flying to and from the UK in which case you are stuck with 20kgs.

The website does say this, sorry to bring you down to earth :twisted:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Thai airline's from terminal 3, i have allways been way over to large cases and a ruck sack last time 56kg the girl behind the desk looked at us i just said "clothes for my wife's family" no problems at all checked in went through passport control, and strait in the bar. :D
Kendo.
:cheers:
A little tip when i put the bags on the check in belt i allways let them over hang and i allways have my foot under it just to make them a little lighter :wink:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

bluezephyr,

What they are saying is that you can check in up to 2 suitcases upto a maximum weight of 23Kg in each case. However, if you exceed your allowance of 20Kg total, you will be charged excess baggage.

If for instance you took 3 suitcases weighing a total of 18Kg, whilst being within your weight allowance, you would be charged a handling fee for the 3rd suitcase.

If there are 2 people travelling and you restrict yourselves to 2 suitcases, 1 @ 25Kg and 1 @ 15 Kg, the 25Kg suitcase would not be permitted. I know for a fact that BA at Bangkok will insist on selling you another bag, and make you pack the excess 2Kg into another suitcase.

Kendo,

The foot trick may work for you, but over the years I've seen many travellers in tears when told how much excess baggage will cost.

I also agree that Thais do not usually target other Thais where excess fares are concerned.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Big Boy,
If it came to the crunch i would just bin the ruck sack all the clothes that i take out for the family are all second hand clothes from my family they have no real value and i would not pay any excess charges.
I look upon this as just a nice gesture for my wife's family and friends
Kendo.
:cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
JAJA

Post by JAJA »

BA business - limit - 3 checked pieces with each piece having a maximum weight of 23 kilos. Hence we fly BA. it also has a good flat bed. On the last return trip we had 5 suitecases with each one filled to 23k. The only problem was getting it plus the two of us to and from the airport - solution - 2 taxis. Still 115 k of luggage is not bad and helps justify the airfare.
baron_wastelanduk
Professional
Professional

suitcases

Post by baron_wastelanduk »

i always take two with eva or thai one is always empty and the other just has enough clothes for two or three days
the rest of my clothes are at home so no problem -cases- always go back full though hmmmm saeng som!
if you go evergreen with eva you get an extra allowance or at least you did suggest check on website
CDK

there are three sorts of people in this world those that can count and those that cant
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

luggage allowance

Post by Arcadian »

You can also apply for a frequent flyers card, some ailines will then give you an extra 10kg.
bazza
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bazza »

Be careful with Eva they told me over the telephone no problem with sporting goods (golf clubs) they charge a special reduce price. On arrival in January they wanted to charge me 435 pounds for a golf bag plus a set of irons eventually they settled for 190 pounds be careful everyone who had overweight luggage was sent to a special desk to negotiate a price.
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

Just had an email from Southall travel.

Im allowed 1x 20kilo and 5 kilo hand luggage. :(

I looked on KLM site and i have to ask at Norwich for luggage allowance for charity purposes.

China airlines once allowed me 23k in my suitcase, But the other 7 kilo's went in my hand luggage and as they were bottles of red bull, talk about embarrasing changing it all over at the check in. I had to hand them in at Amsterdam due to the 100ml limit, Instead i found Murphys pub and gave them to the staff in there.
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)