H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
rosievictoria

H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Post by rosievictoria »

Does anyone know the amount of cases of H1N1 (Swine Flu) in Thailand?.
Also can you purchase Tamiflu(the drug to take if you are unlucky to catch it) at any Pharmacy in Hua Hin.
Thanks
rosievictoria
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Hi rosie. Welcome. This thread has some useful comments...

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/sw ... 12092.html

The view of those who have researched it, is that Tamiflu doesn't work and is harmful.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I am increasingly getting the impression that H1N1 is a relatively mild strain and that many of the reported deaths are likely to have had some other cause, with this flu just weakening their systems further. I was handed a leaflet about H1N1 when I travelled to Malaysia and the advice in that was to treat it like normal flu/cold (staying home, taking things like Paracetamol and drinking plenty of water) and only consult a doctor if there was a high and sustained fever. The best defence against any flu is to avoid contact with others who have it, but the vast majority of people who catch any flu can fight it off; it is normally only the elderly and young children who are at risk of anything serious because their immune systems are less able to cope.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

An article in the paper Bangkok Post today says the heat scanners they have installed at airports are also pointless. Great expense with very little to show for it. If someone is hot enough to set off the scanner, they are hot enough to be noticed by other people.
rosievictoria

H1N1 Swine Flu

Post by rosievictoria »

Thank you Mr Plum and Wanderlust for your thoughts.
At 7pm tonight(Wed) the Health Department announced that 66 positive cases of H1N1 are now in Australia.
And the number is soon to rise because a cruise ship the P & O Dawn Princess has been taken to a remote Queensland island as crew and passengers are all to be tested as several of the passengers have returned positive tests.
There are now several schools closed and they have set up four special clinics in Victoria where about half of the 66 positive cases are from.
The Royal Children's hospital in Melbourne is testing about 300 children every day.
Many of the positive cases have not been out of Australia.
I dont think the scanners are the answer as we all feel heat in different ways.
So I guess we think of a number then double it and hope this is how many cases Thailand have.
rosievictoria