A golfing trip to Chumphon

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

A golfing trip to Chumphon

Post by buksida »

Since golf courses in Hua Hin have gone back to levels of obscenity with their green fees I thought I'd venture south in search of some action.

The Novotel in Chumphon is a new four star hotel with a 9 hole golf course attached. So for less than the price of one round in Hua Hin I could drive down, have a night, a breakfast, and a round of golf there.

The hotel itself was pretty stunning, we had the place to ourselves, including the pool and bar there, its right on the beach at Hat Sairee. The only drawback was the prices of food and beverages were pretty much what you'd expect from this type of place. There were a couple of seafood restaurants on the beach though so no problems there.

The course is tough, very tough, for a novice golfer - its not particularly long at 5,240 yards, par 70 (round twice) - but there is water everywhere so ball investment was a good idea. I'd describe it as a big lake with a few greens and tee boxes scattered around it (the score card is deceptive!), all the greens were elevated and it was in very good condition in general.

Heading down the toughest hole on the course, number 5, which has three lots of water to avoid.

Teeing off onto an island on the 9th, I finally landed one on our last day ... then three putted the bastard.

Bouncing it over the bridge is not an option.

The high green at the par three 6th which needs a boomerang left shot to hit, needless to say I never did.

You'll have trouble finding your ball on the 7th.

Teeing off down the 8th makes a nice change ... no water ... wrong.

Spot the fairway!

We played and stayed for 3 days/nights, best I could manage was 106 over 18 with an average of two balls per hole in the drink!

Childcare at the hotel was a bit of a let down so the little dudes made themselves useful by driving the golf cart ...

The details:
We booked direct by calling the hotel, rate was 1,700 per night including breakfast.
Golf was 300 baht for 9 holes ( 600 for 18 ), caddies optional so we didn't bother, cart an additional 300 baht.

A few days later I played the Kett Udomsak Military Golf Course in Chumphon with some mates from Bangsaphan, this course is also nine holes with different tee positions on the second. It is a lot longer at 6,684 yards, par 72, but the caddies are good fun which makes up for it!

Cost is 200 baht plus 120 for caddie for 18 holes during the week and 300 + 120 on the weekend.

Well worth a few days out of HH!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

What's the name of the course after you take the right off petchakasem road for Ranong? It's about 200 meters along the road?

Nice pictures 106 you say not bad!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's the Kett Udomsak course, its about 2km down the road to Ranong, on the right. Nice long 600 yard par 5 to finish it off!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Nice one. Was always tempted to go the day before on my visa run. Book a hotel in chumpon, play that course, night in chumpon, slow drive to Ranong, get my visa stamped and then belt it back. Will definetely do that now after your report Buksi and most importantly prices.

Take Care
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Great report Buksi, looks like an interesting little bugger! Sounds like a great 2 or 3 day break from HH.
John at Mongkol was telling me a few days ago how good Ao Manao is also.

:thumb:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think buksida'a a dive master. By the look of the hotel course he should be able to use his second occupation to retrieve balls :thumb:
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

These resort type courses look a lot of fun to play.

I am sure there will be many who will look forward to their visa runs now!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Great report Buksi, :thumb:

Is play on the course free if you are staying in the hotel?

Can you post a scorecard with yardages? I want to see if my wife can handle the shots over water from the ladies (or beginners if they have 'em) tees. :thumb:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Image Image

Here ya go ... the white one is the Novotel course, the yellow is the military course.

The distances are not the problem, its the accuracy, you have to hit over water onto greens without going too long or its in more water. Yes, I should have taken the scuba kit!

The price is the same regardless of whether you stay at the hotel (despite what it says on their website).