Land Traffic Act

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Land Traffic Act

Post by PeteC »

A long last I've found the Thai rules of the road in English. Published by the Chinese Consulate in Chiang Mai believe it or not. :shock: Makes interesting reading, especially for anyone going for a Thai drivers license. Of note, it is illegal to use your horn unless in case of danger or accident. The rules seem reasonable, now if they could only be enforced properly. Pete :cheers:

http://chiangmai2.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticl ... 97015.html

EDIT: The above is not a full reading but gives sections and summaries.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Well found Pete!!

Section 32

[The driver shall be careful not to hit pedestrians, and may use the horn if necessary......

Well that's comforting .... I think!! :?
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

Well that's cleared up my question about Pedestrian Crossings, drivers must not overtake, must slow down but it doesn't seem they have to stop for the hapless people attempting to cross.
CDNinKS

Post by CDNinKS »

The driver should reduce speed when stopping, turning or making a U-turn.]

Always handy to reduce speed when stopping :D
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Watch out:

Vehicles that carry flashing red lights on their roofs, bear police shields and speed on streets may not be real police cars at all.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... irens-real
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Appears a grassroots movement is developing. I hope it keeps up. To be honest, this is the first time I recall that people are getting vocal and organized about this. :D Pete :cheers:

"Some 3,000 local villagers, students of Kalasin province rally and demand the governor to help solve problems with traffic police. They claimed the police overcharged the fines and made up the charges. Jakrapong Rawiwan The Nation"
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Watch out:

Vehicles that carry flashing red lights on their roofs, bear police shields and speed on streets may not be real police cars at all.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... irens-real
The last time we were driving home from Bangkok at night a vehicle with flashing lights was coming up fast behind me (and I was doing 120+). I was in the right (center lane) so I pulled over to the left (slow lane) and so did the vehicle... so I pulled over to the shoulder thinking I was busted for speeding. My wife told me there were fake police and I should not trust them just because they have flashing lights, especially at night, but what was I to do? I was speeding after all and didn't want to be in one of those TV police chases.

Anyway, after I pulled over he just blew right past me and it was neither the maroon pickup nor the maroon and yellow Honda Accord that the highway police drive here. It was a nondescript silver pickup with one of those flashing bar type lights on the roof and some (fake police or maybe rescue symbol painted on the side).

I pulled out and continued on my way and saw him pull into the next gas station. Still don't know what it was or why the lights were flashing, but my wife lectured me the rest of the way home about pulling over. She says people have been known to be robbed or worse by fake police on the highway during the night like that.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Can't wait until these things appear en masse on the roads. Want to bet they'll be on the expressways also? :roll: Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mar ... ut-variety
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:Can't wait until these things appear en masse on the roads. Want to bet they'll be on the expressways also? :roll: Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mar ... ut-variety
Wow!:

All tricycles will be powered by 200cc engines that are normally used in big bikes and an axle system similar to those used in six-wheel trucks. The strong and durable suspension system is reinforced with quality steel leaf springs and shock absorbers. :shock: 8)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

With all that it appears to be a heavy vehicle. 200cc is going to rip it's guts out I think to get up to 60kph with a 1 ton load. 500cc would probably be better to keep it going at normal highway speeds both empty and loaded. However, I guess that would put the price above the means of the target market. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is a pic of this thing. Pete :cheers:

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

This is the export model for the Chinese market.:thumb:

No recall needed for this model, just a

and a Image and you are on your way again.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

200cc - 1 tonne of cargo 1.6 m high. Christ almighty ! Must have caused the "oi" truck to go belly up!

All tricycles will be powered by 200cc engines that are normally used in big bikes and an axle system similar to those used in six-wheel trucks. The strong and durable suspension system is reinforced with quality steel leaf springs and shock absorbers.

An empty tricycle can go 80-90 kilometres per hour, but is limited to 40-60 km per hour with one tonne of cargo.

The rear bed is 1.2 metres wide and 1.8 metres long, capable of carrying one tonne of cargo or storing three cubic metres of cargo 1.6 metres high.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

prcscct wrote:Appears a grassroots movement is developing. I hope it keeps up. To be honest, this is the first time I recall that people are getting vocal and organized about this. :D Pete :cheers:

"Some 3,000 local villagers, students of Kalasin province rally and demand the governor to help solve problems with traffic police. They claimed the police overcharged the fines and made up the charges. Jakrapong Rawiwan The Nation"
The revolution seems to be spreading:

Truck drivers rally on Bangna-Trat Rd over police's "tea-money"
By The Nation

Dozens of ten-wheeled trucks block two lanes on Bangna-Trat road on Monday, demanding highway police to stop collecting "tea money" from them.

The blocking of the six-lane road, starting from KM 4.5, started at about 9.30am.

Speaking through a megaphone, Thongyu Kongkan, advisor to land transportation federation, said that the protest is aimed at criticising highway police whom he said charged the truck drivers unfairly as well as demand for high volume of tea money.

The protest caused considerable traffic congestion on Bangna-Trat road. The truck drivers have dispersed at about noon on Monday.