Whiskeys

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Whiskeys

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yes, I have a bottle of that in my bar, along with Laphroaig, Glenlivit, Glenfiddich, and Macleod's.

It's good sippin' whiskey.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

As for fairly easily available decent whiskey here in LOS, then I have seen a fair few times Johnnie Walker Gold Label (3500 baht) and Johnnie Walker Blue Label (7000-9000 baht), prices approx though.

The other Johnnie Walker stuff like red/black/even green is a bit suspect, but those two, gold and blue are good.

Prices aren't that attractive though, would be a good addition for the collection/cabinet for when you felt like a decent tipple.

For the regular basis of drinking then I guess something like Chivas would be an OK compromise. As said, not a big whiskey man myself, but know a few others that like the Chivas as a regular brand.

Edit - Come to think of it, it was in a Tesco Lotus drink shop that I saw those two (gold+blue) for sale at those prices.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

J&B Scotch, rot gut? I don't know. In my younger days we had to run around at Christmas time and give customers bottles of J&B with holiday time lunch. They really seemed to appreciate/like it. This was the 70's early 80's and I don't recall Johnnie Walker even being an alternative or well known in the States then? Bourbon customers always Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, Scotch customers always J&B. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

On the way through Frankfurt on my last trip out I came across Johnnie Walker Double Black which apparently is a new blend being marketed through some duty free outlets as a consumer test.
I bought a bottle for my partner as she is partial to Black Label and coke, but I ended up drinking most of it myself as it was so good. It has a much more pronounced taste of peat and oak, and is more like a smooth single malt.
Attachments
Double Black.jpeg
Double Black.jpeg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yeah Pete, I drank a lot of J&B and Chivas as a youth, and those, especially Chivas are good blended whiskeys, but once you develop a taste for single malt its hard to drink those unless you are mixing.

On Irish whiskeys, I always liked Bushmills, but I only ever see Jamesons here. Why doesn't Bushmills export to SE Asia. It was certainly in America.

One of my favorites back in North America was Crown Royal from Canada. That one is very smooth and a good transition whiskey from mixed drinks into the world of on the rocks, with a splash, or neat. Unfortunately, that's another one you can't buy in Thailand. The closest you can come is Canadian Club which is no comparison imo.

For those of you who do like the Kentucky sour mash corn whiskey; if you haven't tried it the best according to my bourbon loving friends back home is Maker's Mark. It's available here but I've only seen it at Villa Market and it will more than likely be the most expensive Bourbon in Thailand.

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Oh, while mentioning Bourbon, there is a point that is always a confusion with most people that are not from the area of Tennessee or Kentucky.

True Bourbons almost always come from Kentucky. Jack Daniels and George Dickel are not Bourbons; they are Tennessee whiskeys (no kidding, check the labels). They are made from corn mash but the process in Tennessee whiskey is different so it is not a true Bourbon. Remember that as it is sometimes a trivia question... :D :thumb: :cheers:

jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

Well has anyone tried American honey? Thats a really good bourben whisky IMHO, just strait and ice bloody great.Has anyone seen it here in Hua hin?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Ahhh scotch....

My favorite single malt lately is Talisker, great smoky taste.
Drank with no ice, and a (small) splash of water to bring out the taste!!
That's my sipping scotch

When in a mood for a few any johnny walker and water will suit me fine. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Just want to add one more thing. If I want to get drunk with whiskey, I usually choose The Famous Grouse. Nice taste but not too great so that it won't be wasted when your taste buds go numb.
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

Post by TypicallyTropical »

Bamboo Grove wrote:I prefer single malts and with strong taste of smoke or peat. What would you recommend?
I' surprised nobody mentioned the Lagavulin, it's the smokiest and peatiest of the single malts. (It's from the Island of Islay.) It's pretty expensive but the best single malt I ever tasted! (I have a bottle of "1980 Double Matured Special Release Limited Edition Lagavulin" hidden in my closet, I will open it when I retire!)
TT
Citizen of The World
"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather....
Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..."
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

all i can say is, scotch whiskey :( . . . . jack daniels :D :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

redzonerocker wrote:all i can say is, scotch whiskey :( . . . . jack daniels :D :cheers:
RZR is Rock n Roll! Like my good self!

I Don't really know enough about scotch whiskey so I stick with what I know.

Plus JD is cooler! 8)
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote:Ahhh scotch....

Drank with no ice, and a (small) splash of water to bring out the taste!!
That's my sipping scotch

When in a mood for a few any johnny walker and water will suit me fine. :cheers:
Forgot Talisker - yes, a great whisky...... but WATER - don't you know fish fornicate in the stuff?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I' surprised nobody mentioned the Lagavulin, it's the smokiest and peatiest of the single malts
Yes, migrant and TT, those are both excellent single malts, but unfortunately, I haven't tasted either in years as they are not available in Thailand (to my knowledge). :(
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Also the most people on this small island in the northsee can not cook and prepare eateble meals - but the Whisky is great :cheers:

My list:

Lagavulin
Glen Rothes
Bunnahabhain
Ardberg
Bruichladdich
Caol Ila
J&B

and the Irish Whiskeys:

Bushmills
Tullamore Dew
Jameson