Police complaint lodged against parents in BBK death crash

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Police complaint lodged against parents in BBK death crash

Post by Spitfire »

Police complaint lodged against parents of driver in fatal crash

The parents of an underage driver involved in a road accident that killed nine van passengers in late December were Monday accused of illegally allowing her to drive without a licence.

Law lecturers of Thammasat University, who lodged the police complaint on behalf of all 13 victims, including four injured passengers, also named the unidentified owner of a white Honda sedan in their complaint.

Associate Professor Narong Jaiharn, who filed the complaint, said the parents and the sedan's owner were automatically liable under the 2003 Child Protection Act, as were those whose children were arrested for street racing.

He said the parents could also possibly be held responsible under the Criminal Code, as deaths and injuries resulted from their alleged negligence under the 2003 law, but he did not file criminal complaints against them.

Source - The Nation

Comment - Looks like this is getting more serious, might be hard to wiggle out of law action instigated by Tammasat law faculty professionals, coupled with the high-profile nature of the case, many are upset about it and waiting to see if the law is for everyone or just for poor people. It'll be interesting to see how this one 'pans-out' so to speak.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Police complaint lodged against parents in BBK death cra

Post by margaretcarnes »

Good! From what we heard at the time the parents of the underage driver were said to be loaded and influential. The driver herself was photographed beside her wrecked car using her mobile in what appeared to be a very composed fashion, and even tweeted or facebooked or whatever about the accident later.
Families and loved ones of the victims deserve to see that for once justice can be done - despite the influence of status and wealth.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Justice as in money changing hands?
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If you take note of what people are achieving in bringing down corrupt governments in other parts of the world at the moment, I think the authorities should be very careful about how they're seen to handle this kind of thing.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

What ever happen in the case of that young rich-kid who drove into a bus-shelter in BKK a few years back..did
he get away with it..?? I know there was lots of media coverage.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

usual suspect wrote:What ever happen in the case of that young rich-kid who drove into a bus-shelter in BKK a few years back..did
he get away with it..?? I know there was lots of media coverage.
He got 10 years, but as Spitfire mentioned a few months ago, he may still be appealing or something has happened where he is not actually jailed yet. I've lost track of it as haven't seen any News updates. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Roel wrote:Justice as in money changing hands?
If thats what it takes to make an example of the parents - yes - preferably a huge amount.
Better still though if the money changing hands is a whopping court fine :naughty:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

How would you define whopping if they are billionaires?
And the parents might convince the judge that they will severely punish their daughter themselves so no need for imprisonment. This will teach her a lesson.
One year long:
- monthly allowance frozen
- no new car
- no land put in her name
- no new properties
and most importantly
- no shopping trips to Hong Kong, Singapore, New York and London.

Well of course I am a bit too cynical here (I hope).
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

US, think the psycho at the bus stop in a Benz got a ten year suspended sentence, "Daddy" swung it I think, just has to behave and pretend that he's not the FUBAR lunatic that he is.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

This seems like a clear cut case of vicarious criminal liability - the two parents and supposed third party car owner are all equally liable for facilitating a crime, or in this case a series of crimes that are interlinked.

In any civilised society working under the rule of law all three would be subject to criminal investigations and prosecution.

Id also argue that the age off the girl is irrelevant. She chose to commit a crime that made her an adult, and so should be convicted as an adult.

Significant jail time for the girl on manslaughter charges, heavy and significant fines and compensation levied against the parents and car owner.

Case determined...next case.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

:laugh: Amen to that SM67..........
hammer.jpeg
hammer.jpeg (5.46 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Absolutely dude!
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

sandman67 wrote: Significant jail time for the girl on manslaughter charges, heavy and significant fines and compensation levied against the parents and car owner.

quite simple really, take responsibility for your irresponsible actions :| :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Guilty as charged. Send her down. :guns:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

sandman67 wrote:This seems like a clear cut case of vicarious criminal liability - the two parents and supposed third party car owner are all equally liable for facilitating a crime, or in this case a series of crimes that are interlinked.

In any civilised society working under the rule of law all three would be subject to criminal investigations and prosecution.

Id also argue that the age off the girl is irrelevant. She chose to commit a crime that made her an adult, and so should be convicted as an adult.

Significant jail time for the girl on manslaughter charges, heavy and significant fines and compensation levied against the parents and car owner.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Amen and in 100% agreement with no exceptions to the revered Judge SM67 judgement.

But with most of my fellow Thais shallow mind set of gaining of wealth and Power at all cost I believe and from what I've seen and experienced.
The parents will seek to it that grass is grown over this case, if not possible a similar judgement would be made like the Boy who plowed his Benz into the crowd with the judgment of 10 years with an appeal by his lawyers still dragging on by he still ain't in Jail smellin Swedish curtains The same fate will happen to da Girl but with the exception in order to make sure that she ain't causin a mess next time her parents will shove her off to a relatives abroad until appeals Court orders her back.
TIT @ it's best or worst!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Driving home the message about accident prevention
A WAKE-UP CALL FOR MOTORISTS

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autosco ... prevention

Progress this week in the legal case of a road accident involving an underage driver whose apparent recklessness resulted in nine deaths and several injuries on Don Muang tollway has refreshed the public's memory of the tragedy. In an unprecedented move, the families of the victims - represented by Thammasat University, which lost some of its staff in the horrific crash - are to file charges against the parents of the underage driver. While it remains to be seen how the case will unfold, an expert on road safety hopes this horrific accident will be a wake-up call for Thai society over reckless driving. In fact, it has once again dug up the thorny issue of whether enough is being done to prevent a repeat of the accident........................................

(Article too big to post all of it.)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!