Anyone here interested in helping save endangered species?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
NatureSavior
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone here interested in helping save endangered species?

Post by NatureSavior »

Let me know if anyone here would like to join me on forest patrols in Kaeng Krachan National Park to protect the numerous endangered species located within its beautiful, pristine forest. Many of the government paid forest rangers obviously cannot be trusted after the recent exposure of there guilt or connection for the crime of slaughtering 5 innocent endangered elephants in the park. Before 1981, over 200 were killed a year for there ivory tusks, etc, and thats only including Kaeng Krachan. If you look at the horrific number of endangered species that have gone extinct in Thailand over the last century u would need a toilet to vomit in or a politician face dart board to express your feelings with over this inhumane crisis. If any of you have any compassion in your hearts for animals and aren't afraid of getting your feet dirty for a few days a month let me know!?? I could need all the help I could get because being a 1 man army in a jungle of armed poachers/rangers would definitely be a suicide mission as it has proved in the past!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Anyone here interested in helping save endangered specie

Post by Vital Spark »

Naturesavior: Are you really seriousl? You're tredding on extremely dangerous ground here, and I'm sure there are a lot of nature lovers who read this board who don't mind getting their feet dirty (me included), but at a distance.
I have no idea how long you've lived in Thailand, but, however passionate you feel about your cause there are times when it's best not to get involved. :cry:
Good luck with your mission.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Who are you employed by and do you have a work permit, you are in my opinion really puting yourself into danger a farang messing with a Thai problem.

I am a real nature lover and respect the environment but I think let Thai's deal with Thai's on this one

Kendo. :?
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

NatureSavior wrote: in a jungle of armed poachers/rangers would definitely be a suicide mission as it has proved in the past!
I'm with ya dude but that sentence kinda takes the fun out of it for me.

Yer right about the rest of it. One day these folks are gonna wake up and find all that is left are the soi dogs.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

Not without a gun permit, gun, work permit, licence to patrol, a lot of backup, and a reality check.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I had an American friend in Chicago in my younger days. He was full of idealism and wanted to go to Africa with the Peace Core to help the poor negroes there. I suggested that he go to East Chicago instead. The distance was much shorter and the need for help to the negroes there even greater.
Suggest the above writer look for elephants in need in his own backyard first, wherever that may be. There are numerous worthy causes everywhere.
A friend is only one click away
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Try Here http://www.wwf.or.th/en/jobs/?203231/GIS-Volunteer
Do it legally. I'm sure there a multitude of other conservation groups you could contact here.

I support your ideal, but gung-ho is almost never the right option. If you do go 'wild ' then remember John Rambo's advice "There are no friendly civilians ! "
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Trolling me thinks. But I could be wrong. List of things I will need. Weapons and body armor. Extraction helicopter(Black ops version please) Latest In-Sat pictures both infared and HD with GPS markers. Tazer and elephant pepper spray. American carrier fleet at my disposal. An exit strategy and Pizza company on call for drop point delivery.(meant in jest)
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
NatureSavior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NatureSavior »

Frank Hovis wrote:Try Here http://www.wwf.or.th/en/jobs/?203231/GIS-Volunteer
Do it legally. I'm sure there a multitude of other conservation groups you could contact here.

I support your ideal, but gung-ho is almost never the right option. If you do go 'wild ' then remember John Rambo's advice "There are no friendly civilians ! "

V. Qualifications:

· Bachelor or MSc. degree in GIS, Ecology, Conservation Biology, or related field

· Proficient in basic desktop office computer programs

· Proficient in the use of ArcView 3.x and ArcGIS x.x.
wow, so joining a global NPO like WWF and working out of an office in bangkok for most of the time like a corporate coward who hides behind a desk of lies, is the best advice u can give me?
People here in Hua Hin as seen above, with the racist comments towards african americans among them seem to be attempts at starting some pretty ignorant rhetoric that I must avoid!
NOT many endangered species at risk of extinction in most developed western nations at the moment and when u compare those numbers at risk with what is seen in 3rd world SE Asia from Laos down to Indonesia u will notice a much higher number of species which have gone extinct especially in the last decade alone. To those of you without enough hair on your Private area to go out on patrol with a REAL forest ranger are probably just ONLINE ACTIVISTS or TAX DEDUCTIBLE donors that give handouts to corporate NGO's to protect wildlife if they ever do at all. seems to be most of you are obviously too old or afraid to stand on the front lines to save endangered lives or as I've seen on the other most popular forum thread (How to pay for my rental wife).... I guess I came to the wrong forum to look for like minded people with a sense of purpose in being a part of the solution in a country and city that has been mostly overdeveloped and destroyed to be a better tourist destination for rich snobs like you...
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:troll:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Do trolls need work permits?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

go on then, I'll bite.

It was the first job I found, if you don't have a computer with internet access I can look for some more for you.
I guess I came to the wrong forum to look for like minded people with a sense of purpose in being a part of the solution in a country and city that has been mostly overdeveloped and destroyed to be a better tourist destination for rich snobs like you...
Being a one-man army is NOT being 'part of a solution'.

I think most people on this forum do appreciate the fact that there are a large number of endangered species in this country, and probably regret that they are limited in the scope of what they can do to help, limited in part by some of them being a bit old and a bit fat, others limited by the department of employment rules.

If you are an endangered species then cities are all over-developed, period. You don't live in a house then I take it?

Now I'll ask you something - have you ever been to Keang Krachan ?
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

NatureSavior wrote:I guess I came to the wrong forum to look for like minded people with a sense of purpose in being a part of the solution in a country and city that has been mostly overdeveloped and destroyed to be a better tourist destination for rich snobs like you...
You won't rally support by insulting people.

In India I met an idealistic young American who made it his mission to keep Varkala beach clean. He made the papers back in the States for his efforts but embarrassed the local administration, of which he was naively proud. Once the media attention died down, the Police paid him a visit and administered a severe beating, which put a permanent spoke in his wheels.

I would suggest, if you are going to do something like this, try and come up with a way that does not make the locals lose 'face'. Have you made any effort to involve Thais? I'm sure some are equally offended at the death of elephants. How about making a donation to a local bigwig, even if it's only a few bottles of plonk, so that should you hit any roadblocks, he might at least keep you out of jail.

Don't act so miffed when you ask for support from wannabe Rambos, in a forum mainly populated by retired folk and ex-military who would, in their prime, put you over your knee and teach you some manners. Asking for support in other ways, such as financially, might generate some interest.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I don't think the OP fully comprehends the size of Keang Krachan park.

To put it in a US perspective it is only slightly smaller than Long Island and for Brits it's about the same size as Lancashire, for Aussies it's a bit bigger than the ACT.

Simply wandering about is a no go, once off the beaten path it's a case of dense jungle on a continuous range of peaks and valleys. You'd be lucky to traverse a single valley in a day on foot on your own. Try climbing out of the valley at Pala-U, even down at the base camp level, it's a whole days effort and what's on the other side is just another jungle clad valley.

KK & KuiBuri parks are bandit-country, Thai people will tell you that. Locating a trustworthy phu-yai would be like finding a needle in a haystack (or an elephant in the jungle). A foreigner caught with a gun (and you wouldn't go in there without one) would probably become the scapegoat for poachers, assuming 'justice' wasn't meeted out on the spot - no-one would know, no-one would ever find the body (except the ants).

It's great to be concerned and to have such high ideals and the willingness to put oneself at risk for the cause but I get the feeling there's been little planning involved so far - maybe the OP will enlighten us with an outline of the first foray into Keang Krachan he or she has planned.
Last edited by Frank Hovis on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.