Thai Expat TV

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Thai Expat TV

Post by Terry »

For those that miss English TV - I don't - you might want to check this out
I have just received this info - cannot vouch if good or bad....................

It's called Thai Expat TV

We offer LIVE UK channels: BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, ITV2, ITV4, Channel 4, Film 4 & More 4.

We also broadcast all channels in a delayed version 6 & 18 hours, so we have a total of 24 channels.

No VPN or Proxy servers are required.

More info can be found on http://www.thaiexpat.tv/aff.php?aff=033

Anyone can sign up for a free 2 day trial to test out the system (Free trial software only works on windows).

Set top box will plug into any TV, modem with LAN cable required, no computer/VPN/Proxy required.

So now you can get your regular fix of such tripe as Eastenders and Coronation Street :roll:
Big Boy

Re: Thai Expat TV

Post by Big Boy »

A very big thank you to Terry!!

When Terry posted this over a week ago, I read the bumph, and thought this is just what I've been looking for. There were a few e-mail exchanges between me and the provider, and it still looked very good. They urged me to try their product through their 2 day free trial. I resisted the trial until yesterday - my intention being to test is on last night's France vs England game.

I downloaded the software (I won't consider their set top box until they've proved themselves for a few months), and immediately had access to UK TV, and I swear the picture is better than I was receiving in the UK (although this may have been influenced by the crap picture I receive from cable in Thailand). Connection to a TV set took seconds. I suffered UK daytime TV for a couple of hours - just to test the system, and it was almost perfect. To clarify 'almost;:

- There was a little pixelation for the first 10 to 15 seconds.

- Once (in several hours of viewing) the picture froze, and a message, "Re-broadcasting"" was displayed, and the numbers 1 to 100 was displayed during a pretty fast count up. This was again followed by slight pixelation for 10 to 15 seconds. This occurred once during the match as well, but the advantages of watching the match on ITV far outweighed the disadvantages of watching it on Thai TV.

The programmes are available in 3 time slots:

- Live

- 6 hours after original broadcast

- 18 hours after original broadcast

I will almost certainly continue with this package when the free trial ends. The cost is only 600Baht per month, and it will almost certainly fulfill the viewing habits of my family. Unfortunately, it will eat up the resources of my main laptop when using it - I do have a spare, but it's like driving a Reliant Robin, when you're used to a Rolls Royce.

There is a set top box option to eliminate the need for the laptop, but as I've already said, I'll make sure the company are well established, and that last night was not just a one off before investing 8,000 Baht for one of those. My suspicious mind makes me think maybe they can boost the signal for triallists.

I did consider True, but basically it only seems a zooped up version of Cable. An awful lot more of very little to watch on a lot of channels. With this, I knew exactly what to expect, and I as not disappointed. In comparison, the cost of this beastie is negligible when compared to the likes of True, and I'll even know when decent programmes will be broadcast. I'll obviously retain my Cable TV for my wife's soaps.

To anybody pining for a bit of UK TV, I commend this free trial to you to see for yourselves. If your trial is anything like mine, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:A very big thank you to Terry!!

When Terry posted this over a week ago, I read the bumph, and thought this is just what I've been looking for. There were a few e-mail exchanges between me and the provider, and it still looked very good. They urged me to try their product through their 2 day free trial. I resisted the trial until yesterday - my intention being to test is on last night's France vs England game.

I downloaded the software (I won't consider their set top box until they've proved themselves for a few months), and immediately had access to UK TV, and I swear the picture is better than I was receiving in the UK (although this may have been influenced by the crap picture I receive from cable in Thailand). Connection to a TV set took seconds. I suffered UK daytime TV for a couple of hours - just to test the system, and it was almost perfect. To clarify 'almost;:

- There was a little pixelation for the first 10 to 15 seconds.

- Once (in several hours of viewing) the picture froze, and a message, "Re-broadcasting"" was displayed, and the numbers 1 to 100 was displayed during a pretty fast count up. This was again followed by slight pixelation for 10 to 15 seconds. This occurred once during the match as well, but the advantages of watching the match on ITV far outweighed the disadvantages of watching it on Thai TV.

The programmes are available in 3 time slots:

- Live

- 6 hours after original broadcast

- 18 hours after original broadcast

I will almost certainly continue with this package when the free trial ends. The cost is only 600Baht per month, and it will almost certainly fulfill the viewing habits of my family. Unfortunately, it will eat up the resources of my main laptop when using it - I do have a spare, but it's like driving a Reliant Robin, when you're used to a Rolls Royce.

There is a set top box option to eliminate the need for the laptop, but as I've already said, I'll make sure the company are well established, and that last night was not just a one off before investing 8,000 Baht for one of those. My suspicious mind makes me think maybe they can boost the signal for triallists.

I did consider True, but basically it only seems a zooped up version of Cable. An awful lot more of very little to watch on a lot of channels. With this, I knew exactly what to expect, and I as not disappointed. In comparison, the cost of this beastie is negligible when compared to the likes of True, and I'll even know when decent programmes will be broadcast. I'll obviously retain my Cable TV for my wife's soaps.

To anybody pining for a bit of UK TV, I commend this free trial to you to see for yourselves. If your trial is anything like mine, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
BB, I assume you read all of their T&C's - maybe I read into it too much, but it did seem that by using cookies, they would be able to monitor almost every move that you make on your PC and that you could be inundated with unwanted, unsolicited emails etc. It will be very interesting to hear from you on what (or doesn't) happen over the coming weeks/months. Other than that, it does sound like a much better option than what True offer!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:BB, I assume you read all of their T&C's - maybe I read into it too much, but it did seem that by using cookies, they would be able to monitor almost every move that you make on your PC and that you could be inundated with unwanted, unsolicited emails etc. It will be very interesting to hear from you on what (or doesn't) happen over the coming weeks/months. Other than that, it does sound like a much better option than what True offer!!
Another reason, I wouldn't go for more than the software option at the moment. I will monitor very closely for at least 3 months before deciding to go any further. Of course, the set top box option removes a lot of the risk.

Points 51; Position 21
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

There has been some questions asked about the legality of this operation here in Thailand. There was another TV company that was offering the same thing and gave away free trials for a while but had to cease for legal reasons I am told. That said they did refund the money people had paid for the service but I wouldn't want to be laying out cash for a service that could cease at any time. I didn't watch that much TV back home so what I want to watch I can download and watch. Be interesting to see where this goes though as I know of many people who miss their Eastenders fix etc and a few bars I know would also have it as a lure for the customers.
I believe they are offering a free 2 day software trial so you can try it.
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

H2ODunc wrote:There has been some questions asked about the legality of this operation here in Thailand. There was another TV company that was offering the same thing and gave away free trials for a while but had to cease for legal reasons I am told. That said they did refund the money people had paid for the service but I wouldn't want to be laying out cash for a service that could cease at any time. I didn't watch that much TV back home so what I want to watch I can download and watch. Be interesting to see where this goes though as I know of many people who miss their Eastenders fix etc and a few bars I know would also have it as a lure for the customers.
I believe they are offering a free 2 day software trial so you can try it.
Yes, there was virtually an identical operation a few years ago that I signed up to. Great quality - and at a time when the BBC was actually still showing some sport!!
Unfortunately, this was shut down due to legal issues - I believe it was actually operated out of the UK, so this was presumably the stumbling block. In typical fashion, I'd just signed up for a long term contract when this happened, but as H20Dunc mentions, refunds were given out.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is one of the reasons I'm only considering the software only option at the moment. 600 Baht per month isn't very much to lose if the service goes off part way through the month. Meanwhile, I think Terry has found me an excellent resource that I will probably extend beyond the 2 day free trial.

Points 51; Position 21
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

This company sponsors another forum where the question of its legality has been asked. In other threads where people were asking questions about the service the questions were answered immediately yet in this instance they have remained silent for a few days and several pages of postings. That tells me heaps. Especially as they are a sponsor. I can't imagine Terry ignoring a question on the legality of his business nor any of the other HHF sponsors here either.
I smell a rat so will stick to my torrents thank you.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Your illegal torrents?
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I have already said, for a measly 600 Baht per month, I'll take the risk i.e. 40p per day. I will enjoy the service until it closes down. These guys are providing a very cheap, quality service - if it's illegal and gets shut down, what have I lost? Maximum 600 Baht - it's not going to break the bank.

I've been giving the set top box some thought, and it'll be almost as cheap to buy another laptop. If the service dies, I've got a spare laptop for the grand children - win/win.

As for torrents - I'm getting quite good at downloading them. So good that I'm downloading far more than I'll ever watch :?

Points 51; Position 21
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

dtaai-maai wrote:Your illegal torrents?
The main difference is the torrent sites aren't charging me for their service, they aren't selling me anything nor promising me anything. I was a user of BT Junkie till it closed down. A sad loss but it didn't cost me a Baht. See the difference ? What if thousands of people pay for a set top box and next week its closed down ? You see no problem with that as well I presume ?
Not in real estate by any chance are we with this line of thinking ?
:laugh:
If there was no problem with this service why not answer the straight question ?
The silence is deafening and as said for me speaks volumes !
it isn't just about the price. 600 Baht is very reasonable compared to the 2,600 Baht I pay now for the pleasure of having True.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Clearly a service like this is not legit. I think we all know that and take the risk if we choose to use the service. As BB said, there's no reason to get a set top box, you could make a HTPC for around the same price and use it to move onto the next service for whenever this one goes under.

I presume this is only the free-to-air channels? No Sky? I can't access the web page at the moment because I'm running through a proxy and am getting 'unavaliable in your area' messages (irony!) :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

H2ODunc wrote:What if thousands of people pay for a set top box and next week its closed down ? You see no problem with that as well I presume ?
The set top box is an optional extra that you do not need. A decent laptop or desktop will do the job just as well. I'm not really sure why anybody would buy one.
Pleng wrote:I presume this is only the free-to-air channels? No Sky? I can't access the web page at the moment because I'm running through a proxy and am getting 'unavaliable in your area' messages
Yes, it's BBC 1 & 2 & 3, ITV 1, 2 & 4, Channel 4, Film 4 and More 4. They are promising more in the future, but who knows?

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well guys, it's all becoming academic. Day 2 of the trial, and the system seems unable to stream for more than 20 seconds at a time. So with only a 50% success rate, I'm out of here - there is no day 3, so thank you, and good night Thai Expat TV.

Points 51; Position 21
thaiexpattv
Amateur
Amateur

Post by thaiexpattv »

Hello Everyone,

We found this post from looking at our website statistics.

We can understand your concerns about legality issues.

Please refer to this link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02 ... tv_ripoff/

We have a similar business model to Zattoo. As you can see the date on the news article is from 2008, this company is still successfully operating now in 2012.

We are not lawyers, but when we speak with the lawyers, they see no problem as long as we leave the free to air content unchanged.

IPTV in absolutely legal in Thailand and please feel free to buy a service from any of the other providers in Thailand.

http://www.vooziptv.com/
http://www.totiptv.com/
http://iptv.3bb.co.th/th/home/index.php
http://www.buddybb.net/news_tv.asp

We know that none of the Thai IPTV services have any UK TV channels, but they are aimed at a totally different market.

Also in reference to a post about UKTV in Pattaya, we are in no way linked or affiliated with UKTV, our business model is totally different, and from what we heard is they did not get closed for legal reasons.

I hope this reply has answered all of your concerns.

If you still have concerns about subscribing to our service, we invite you to just pay month by month using our PayPal subscription service; this can be cancelled at any time by contacting PayPal.

If anyone would like to try our service you can do so by signing up for a totally free 2 day trial:

(Please find our link at the top of the page posted by the OP)

Many Thanks,
Admin
Thai Expat TV

Note: Big Boy - I read on this post that you were having quality issues on your last attempts; this could be due to you downloading torrents or other users using your internet connection for any high bandwidth tasks. If you would like to try out the service for a further 2 days, then please raise a support ticket with us and we will re-activate your free trial.
Last edited by thaiexpattv on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.