The wiener schnitzel thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

The wiener schnitzel thread

Post by Takiap »

Well, we've had plenty of debate and discussion on fish and chips, and of course cottage pie, so let's see what others have to say about wiener schnitzel.

I have come across a number of Germans and Austrians that speak of this dish with considerable pride, and one guy in particular, seems to think it's the greatest dish in the world. Ironically, when I've mentioned on occasions that I've made some wiener schnitzel for the kids and my wife, he always suggests that I should ask his wife to teach me how it should be made, despite the fact that he's never seen or tasted the wiener schnitzel I make.

So, I decided to question him as to how a "proper" wiener schnitzel should be made. His response:

A piece of pork, thinly sliced, coated with flour, dipped in egg, and then coated with bread crumbs prior to being fried.

Of course I had to politely inform him that it should be me teaching him and his wife, because what he described is NOT a wiener schnitzel. In fact, in Germany, according to some websites, the term "wiener schnitzel" is protected by the law, and if pork is used, it must be advertised as such - what we call a pork schnitzel. A "traditional" wiener schnitzel is made with veal, which to the best of my knowledge, is not available in Thailand.

Secondly, whether you use veal, beef, pork or chicken, you don't use a piece of thinly sliced meat. Instead, the meat is beaten into shape using a flat heavy object and should ideally be about 4 or 5mm thick by the time you're finished.

Lastly, if it is served with mashed potatoes, proper potatoes should be boiled and then mashed, which according to my Austrian friend is unnecessary because you can use powdered mash. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

Anyway, I'll be interested to see if any forum members have their own recipe regarding seasoning and etc.

:thumb: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
elem
Professional
Professional

Re: The wiener schnitzel thread

Post by elem »

Mix the flour w pepper, add some salt to the beaten eggs before dipping and coating it. ..mix breadcrumbs with the Japanese style flakes for frying ( for tempura )....add a slice of lemon on the plate and never, never use the powdered mash -that's just disgusting. Now, that's an upgrade for you :)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

No recipe but if you have tasted the real Wiener Schnitzel, why would you ever want the pseudo from pork / chicken, etc.

I have had Wiener Schnitzel in several locations in Bangkok.. one was Rembrandt Hotel in Soi 18 Sukhumvit. Mind you, it was not cheap but sometimes one has to venture into the high price area. I also seem to remember some years back having it at an Italian restaurant in Hua Hin. Veal was imported from Argentina.

I am sure that some place like Palm Bistro would accommodate a Wiener Schnitzel special offering if there was sufficient genuine bookings. Several months ago I asked them to cater for 10 people for Navarin Lamb. and a tasty treat it was.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

elem wrote:Mix the flour w pepper, add some salt to the beaten eggs before dipping and coating it. ..mix breadcrumbs with the Japanese style flakes for frying ( for tempura )....add a slice of lemon on the plate and never, never use the powdered mash -that's just disgusting. Now, that's an upgrade for you :)

Thanks Elem, but I already do add pepper, freshly ground black pepper, to the flour, and sea salt to the egg. And no, hell would freeze over before I use powdered mashed potato. Only freshly mashed potatoes, with some salt, milk and butter added. :laugh: :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Coco 51 used to have a decent wienerschnitzel on the menu made from veal. The proper topping on da schnitzel is a slice of lemon with graded horseradish, a small piece of anchovies and a little capers. It should be served with cooked or fried potatoes (fried on the pan, NOT French fries) in German "Bratkartoffeln" , green peas and a light gravy. Bon Appetit!
A friend is only one click away
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

[quote="Lung Per"]Coco 51 used to have a decent wienerschnitzel on the menu made from veal. The proper topping on da schnitzel is a slice of lemon with graded horseradish, a small piece of anchovies and a little capers. It should be served with cooked or fried potatoes (fried on the pan, NOT French fries) in German "Bratkartoffeln" , green peas and a light gravy. Bon Appetit![/quote

A serving I particularly enjoyed in Vienna was WS with Fried Egg on top with Anchovies and Capers.. I vaguely remember that it was called Wiener Holstein (Austrians / Germans may freely jump on me if I have spelled that incorrectly).
Last edited by bapak on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

For the mash try lots of pepper & freshly chopped cilantro/coriander for a yummy twist :)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Best I've had here is at 'All in Hua Hin'. 2 big pieces (pork though) German style fried potatoes and a large side salad. Also good at Moja (sp) Bistro at the back of soi 80

For a sizeable one though you need to go here......................
Snitzel (510 x 382).jpg
Snitzel (510 x 382).jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
This guy must be a heathen Englander to order it with crinkly fries

Need you lederhosen on oo
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:Best I've had here is at 'All in Hua Hin'. 2 big pieces (pork though) German style fried potatoes and a large side salad. Also good at Moja (sp) Bistro at the back of soi 80

For a sizeable one though you need to go here......................
Snitzel (510 x 382).jpg
This guy must be a heathen Englander to order it with crinkly fries

Need you lederhosen on oo
That's made me feel very hungry Richard - and the thought of salad for tonight's dinner, not something I am looking forward to.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

had an Italian variation in the past Schnitzel made with veal but served with spaghetti in tomato sauce and bloody lovely it was too
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

This is how I do them, rightly or wrongly. Biggest mistake any restaurant I have ordered it in makes is overcooking and/or under bashing. I use much less oil. Careful not to catch the crust. If doing a chichen schnitzel use thigh rather than breast(too fry) As for frozen chips and packet sauces with a cornflour base :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Crazy 88

1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1 cup dried packet breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup (60ml) milk
4 small (about 100g each) veal scaloppine (escalopes)
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 cup (250ml) light olive oil
Lemon wedges, to serve

Method
Step 1
Combine the fresh and dried breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley in a large, shallow bowl, then set aside. Place the eggs and milk in a separate wide bowl and beat lightly to combine.
Step 2
Place veal on a chopping board and flatten slightly with a meat mallet. Season flour with salt and pepper, then dip veal pieces firstly in the flour, then into beaten egg and finally in breadcrumb mixture pressing to adhere.
Step 3
Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frypan and fry half the veal over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden on one side, then turn over to cook other side for a further minute.
Step 4
Drain on paper towel, cover and keep warm. Heat the remaining oil and cook the remaining veal.
Step 5
Serve with lemon wedges, potatoes and a green salad, if desired.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Crazy88

Where do you live? :munch: :munch: :munch:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Okay Ladies we are talking about the "Wiener Schnitzel".

I checked in the Lexicon of the Kitchen in Germany called "Richard Hering Lexikon der Kueche"
that is the source and the "law" for the cook.
and its exactly the same in the Wikipedia.

from Wiki in english:

The dish is prepared from butterfly cut, about 4 mm thin and lightly hammered veal slices, slightly salted, and rolled in whipped flour, whipped eggs and bread crumbs. The bread crumbs must not be pressed into the meat, so that they stay dry and can be "souffled". Finally the Schnitzel is fried in a good proportion of lard or clarified butter at a temperature from 160 to 170 °C until it is golden yellow. The Schnitzel must swim in the fat, otherwise it will not cook evenly: the fat cools too much and intrudes into the bread crumbs, moistening them. During the frying the Schnitzel is repeateldy slightly tossed around the pan. Also during the frying, fat can be scooped from the pan with a spoon and poured onto the meat. After the underside has become golden yellow, the Schnitzel is turned over.

The dish is traditionally served in Austria with Kopfsalat (lettuce tossed with a sweetened vinaigrette dressing, optionally with chopped chives or onions), potato salad, cucumber salad, or parsley potatoes. Currently it is also served with rice, french fries or roasted potatoes. It is common to serve it with a slice of lemon, to give the bread crumbs more taste, and a sprout of parsley. "It has however become common in Northern Germany to serve it with lemon, cucumber slices, sardines and capers, to achieve a pleasant appearance".

There are also a lot of other delicous schnitzel like Holstein or Cordon Bleu, but if you prepare in other style, you can not call it "Wiener Schnitzel"
Greets,
Phyton
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Will this conclude the entries on "da Schnitzel Wiener Art"?
A friend is only one click away
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

"Schnitzel Wiener Art" is made from Pork.
Greets,
Phyton