External devices

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

External devices

Post by Guess »

Can anybody give me the benefit of their personal experiences.

I have generally used USB adapter/cases for periperals that can no longer fit in my box because all the slots are used. On two occassions I have had problems with a 160GB disk (two different disks) in two different adapters. One did not work at all so I swapped it for the 40GB disk and threw the 40GB disk at the local PC repair shop hoping he could find a home for it and maybe make him a few baht. The second one is more of a problem. I bought a new USB adapter and plugged it in to the USB port. Eventaually I got it formatted and even wrote data to it . Problem is it fails to be recognised more than it does. I am now in the position of having to do something else as I have no way of backing up all my data and music other than using stacks of DVDs and loads of spare time.

I have considered RAID and IDE PCI card but only have a slot for one more drive in my Server. My workstation is an old IBM so nothing can be done there. I am trying to avoid buying a new workstation.

Has anybody any suggestions on a solution for this.

I would even consider a second hand machine. The minimum spec would have to be:

Upright base cabinet with four full height bays.
2.0 GHZ Intel processor.
256MB memory with spare slot.
CD Reader.

The new cost of all this would be about 13,000 baht. I would expect to pay about five or six for a three to four year old one.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have always used external hard disks for backup since I lost a bunch of data on DVD backups a few years back.

Hard disks are the most reliable (providing you dont drop them!). I have two in the machine itself (120+160) and two for backup and music storage (250+300).

Not sure why you're using so many USB ports, I have six on a 2 year old mainboard and always two spare. Many of the newer external hard disk units also have a firewire connection which is a lot faster than USB for transfering large volumes of data.

Also your problems may be USB related and not disk related, maybe bad ports on the mainboard.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Almost certainly the problems are USB related as when I put the disk into the box in place of an existing disk it works fine.

I have two USB 2.0 ports at the back of the machine. One is connected to 4 way hub and the other to the ADSL modem. I have two USB 1.0 connectors at the fromt one is connected to the printer and the other to the camera.

I first thought the hub was the problem and disconnected it and then found I still had the same problem.

On the mother board I have two IDE cables one for two harddisks and the other for two floppies. I understand that they can not be mixed. I am therfore using all possible IDE ports. I do have a couple of PCI slots spare and was thingking along the lines of getting a PCI/IDE card and connecting two or more disks to it. This would solve all my problems.

I am afraid that if I buy a new USB adapter that I will be throwing good money after bad. Firewire is also an option but I know little about it and what its limitations are. What do I need to buy to convert to Firewire.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

In order to avoid anymore USB grief you have the following options:

1) PCI IDE card: simple to install and will increase your IDE capacity from 4 to 6. May have heat problems if the case is small.

2) External CD/DVD RW unit: this will free up your internal secondary IDE port allowing two more hard disks to be added.

3) PCI Firewire card: again simple to install however you need to have an external firewire capable hard disk case (a little more expensive than the standard USB 2 ones).

4) Secondary machine: not really worth the expense of building another box just to store hard drives.

5) New mainboard: one that has 8 USB 2.0 ports, firewire and SATA built in ... however you're likely to need a new CPU also so not really an economically viable option.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson