Webcams and speakers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Webcams and speakers

Post by richard »

Seem to be spending most of my time either on this site or on SKYPE. Some of the guys I talk to are in Norway, Ireland, Canada and the UK.Many are on webcams. Where in HH can I get one and also a set of speakers for my laptop?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Richard, when I was there a few weeks ago, I was looking round Tesco and they seemed to have a good selection of computer accessories in the computer section.
I am sure that you will find what you want there.

If not, I am sure that there are some local computer shops there that can supply those sort of products.

Just one thing, I am suprised that your laptop has no built in speakers, as the ones that I have had for the last 8-10 years have all had speakers built in.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks Chelsea

Sure my laptop has built in speakers but are of low quality, I'm deaf as well. I do have set of good earphones which I use for blowing my mind when the wife is watching her Thai soaps

I'll certainly look into the Tesco option

Cheers

Hope you get a good result this weekend
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Richard, all the computer stuff is in the section just before where all the TV's and stereo gear are.
I hope we get a good result as well, after loosing in midweek. Have just heard that Leeds are 0-0 at halftime at Hillsborough.
buksida

Post by buksida »

As chelsea said theres Tesco or a number of local computer shops where you should be able to pick them up.

Let me know how the webcam goes, may get one myself if the connection is fast enough.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:
Let me know how the webcam goes, may get one myself if the connection is fast enough
I'm not so sure the connection speed will be an issue. I installed a cheap and nasty webcam and microphone for a friend of mine in Aberystwyth a couple of weeks ago - he only has a basic 56K UK dial up connection. He has been speaking to a friend in Australia on a regular basis ever since, and the camera picture has been of a good standard. The only problem he has experienced is sound quality - but what does he expect, a Welshman trying to speak with an Australian? Even with the latest state of the art technology, they'd probably struggle to understand each other!! :)

Although I do understand that you have problems in Thailand, I've never experienced anything slower than a UK 56K dial up connection.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Where is it located in Tescos?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Richard, all the computer stuff is in the section just before where all the TV's and stereo gear are.
Tesco's is in Market Village (Opposite the Marriot) on the main road out of town going South.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Chelsea et al - I think you mean at the entrance to Home Pro in the 'TV & hi-fi' section.

One good way to get a good connection is to use both Skype and say Messengar at the same time. One on audio and one on video - that way you avoid teh 'voice lag' when communicating.

I've got two cheap & cheerful Logitech webcams bought in Taiwan (But I've seen them here) and I used them succesfully for 18 months, with me in Taiwan and my family here in HH.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Terry wrote:Chelsea et al - I think you mean at the entrance to Home Pro in the 'TV & hi-fi' section.
Terry,
No, the others are correct about inside Tesco Lotus, however there is a smattering of computer stuff in HomePro too. I think I would probably go to neither though as the range is very limited, certainly for webcams. Another place to try is the smputer shop just after the Grand near Halex which had a reasonable range of stuff the last time I went there, although I wasn't looking for webcams or speakers. Also inside Market Village there is a place on the first floor which definitely sells speakers but not sure about webcams. Finally if you fancy a drive up to Big C in Petchaburi they have a reasonable computer section too.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Wanderlust

I stand corrected!

I always let the missus 'do' Tesco whilst I look at the 'mens stuff' upstairs in Home Pro :roll:
James61
Rookie
Rookie

Post by James61 »

most standard digital cameras can be used as webcams also.
standup computer mics are about 150baht and speakers start at about 150baht but better with a woofer if you listen to music through pc at about 800 baht for a good one with speakers.
the computer can also be esily plugged into a hifi or surround system or through the tv.

for skype to avoid feedback a simple headset with mic can be used which start at about 150baht also.
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

Terry Hi,
One good way to get a good connection is to use both Skype and say Messengar at the same time. One on audio and one on video - that way you avoid teh 'voice lag' when communicating.
Can be a bit of a problem as there is a bandwidth overhead, and sometimes peripheral sharing issue.

The original poster, richard (in HH) , and I (in UK) have successful conferences and he can view my video OK. There is not much of a problem with Skype and 'lag' unless there is a very poor connection.

Re James61 and the use of standard cameras, getting the correct resolution and not hogging bandwidth because if Hi-res pictures can be a problem. Also it is difficult to get the correct drivers.

For most personal Skype (not full V. Conferencing) a cheap Labtec webcam and headset is fine. If you use speakers and a mic. just shield the mic. from the speakers by placing an object between the two.

Better still get a Skype compatible phone, such as http://www.cybis.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Ha ... cials.html

Cheers

Peter
If a Yorkshireman puts his hand in his pocket - fret not!
He'll just be checking his ferret.