[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by Norseman »

Sorry Jaime, didn't know you're here, but John is very close.
Just wanted to say Hello old bugger!! :D
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Jaimie, I just want to say that I agree with everything you have said about John and his unwavering commitment. My daughter has been a regular student for some time now, and I have seen steady progress throughout her time with John. She also loves attending lesson, and that's half the battle. I on the other hand love the fact that classes are small. Driving past two other clubs, I was actually shocked to see how kids were crammed into a small area, and it was obvious that no instructor could possibly focus on so many students at once.

Congrats to your some BTW, and best of luck for his black belt grading. It's still early days for my daughter, with her next belt being orange. :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Thank you very much for that humbling report Jaime, it is appreciated. I’m grateful for the photos as well. I will send your message on to Wado Karate Federation HQ, as it is a nice testimonial.

I’m so pleased that I was able to offer some assistance to Tom. I am interested in all styles of karate, and it was very interesting to see how close Wado Ryu and Shotokan are.

Regarding the intimate training environment, it is the only way that the Wado Karate Federation will work with students. Like Takiap, I see what goes on in other martial arts groups in the town, but they are money making machines with little regard to the students. Wado Karate Federation is more of a vocation rather than a business. I will never make my fortune teaching karate (my charges barely cover costs), but I will get a lot of satisfaction knowing that my students have been trained correctly in the art. Everybody’s needs are different, and mass training doesn't concentrate on toning skills/eliminating bad habits. I also understand that karate is not for everybody, which is why I will never charge for the first lesson, and do not condone spending money on a Gi until a student is sure they want to continue to train in the longer term.

So, it’s a big well done to Tom. It’s a fantastic achievement at such a young a age. The photographer deserves some praise for capturing that Mawashi–Geri Jodan shot (Takiap beware – that will be part of Kaylene’s next grading :twisted: ). An excellent action shot.

Tom not gaining his black belt yet isn’t a problem. I posted this on my page a while back
karate_belt.jpg
karate_belt.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
He is obviously disappointed, but he clearly has ability. He wouldn’t be Welsh Champion, and he wouldn’t have beaten the British Champion if his ability was in question. I saw that he had ability, and his achievements have confirmed it.

The one big difference between the Wado Karate Federation and most karate organisations is the promotion system. I wasn’t allowed to grade for my Black Belt until I’d reached 16 years old. However, the belt is only a badge. It did not stop me from being selected to train with the England Squad at age 15, and I went on to represent my country in the World Championships 3 years later.

Tom’s Black Belt will come, nothing is more certain. It is just something for him to look forward to.

It is always good to see new faces come into the Dojo, and you guys will be more than welcome to come back at any time.

Ossu. John
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Norseman wrote:Sorry Jaime, didn't know you're here, but John is very close.
Just wanted to say Hello old bugger!! :D
Hi ole - sorry we didn't stop by last time but virtually the whole trip was filled with organisation of the our eldest son's ordination as a monk. I'll try and post some photos of that one day if I get a chance too as it was a very interesting & colourful cultural event.

Cheers anyway! :cheers:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Wado-Karate wrote:So, it’s a big well done to Tom. It’s a fantastic achievement at such a young a age. The photographer deserves some praise for capturing that Mawashi–Geri Jodan shot (Takiap beware – that will be part of Kaylene’s next grading :twisted: ). An excellent action shot.
It's probably not immediately apparent but that first photo of Tom side-on with his neck veins bulging is the last moment of his ki-ai upon his winning punch in the final, right hand drawn back in hikite and Tom looking into the eyes of his opponent with a lot of intensity. You can see Tom's red cheek where he had conceded the previous point and it was all down to that final point, which was scored with a gyaku-tsuki jodan.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Takiap wrote:Congrats to your some BTW, and best of luck for his black belt grading. It's still early days for my daughter, with her next belt being orange. :thumb:
Thanks Takiap and best of luck for your young one - it starts getting really fun after about a year!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Hi John - just to let you know that yesterday Tom passed his Shodan under Andy Sherry 9th Dan KUGB & Frank Brennan 7th Dan KUGB. I told him you will not have to show him any mercy next time he visits! :)
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Fantastic news Jaime, please pass on my congratulations :D

I'll have to sharpen up for my next encounter.

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Seasons Greetings to all club members current, old and future. Also to all forum members. Have a fantastic holiday, and may Santa bring everything you wish for :wink:

Will club members please note the revised dates for recommencement of classes:

Adults - Tuesday 7th January

Children - Friday 10th January

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

calm.png

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Well guys, as you may have read, I've stupidly allowed my Sim cards to expire, so you need to note my new contact numbers:

To speak in Thai, the new phone number is: 0983 055963

To speak in English, the new phone number is: 0983 055964

The previous phone numbers are no longer active.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Belt.jpg

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

There's no adult class tonight, so there's a rare treat in the Dojo. Sensei's John and George are training together.

Photos and maybe a video to follow.

Next month will see guest appearances in the Dojo by Sensie's Grimes, Wilson, Herron and Gibbons all visiting from the UK. Sensei Gibbons has also represented England at the Karate World Championships in Tokyo, Japan.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

A few photos from this evening's training session:
DSC03773b.JPG
DSC03773b.JPG (117.43 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03777b.JPG
DSC03777b.JPG (115.53 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03778b.JPG
DSC03778b.JPG (108.08 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03779b.JPG
DSC03779b.JPG (108.75 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03783b.JPG
DSC03783b.JPG (118.07 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03784b.JPG
DSC03784b.JPG (107.92 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03787b.JPG
DSC03787b.JPG (117.38 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
DSC03791b.JPG
DSC03791b.JPG (116.02 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Sorry, it was too dark for the videos.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

It is 20 months since the original Advertorial, and a few things have changed. To bring the Advertorial upto date, I've made a few underlined changes in Lev's original below.
Lev wrote:ADVERTORIAL

The Wado Karate Federation

The Wado Karate Federation (WKF) was founded as an association based in Bristol, South West of the UK, dedicated to the practice of traditional Japanese Wado karate. The WKF is headed by Sensei George Grimes, 8th Dan Kyoshi.

What is Karate?
Karate-Do "the way of the empty hand" is a martial art originated in Okinawa. Karate-Do has its roots in Chinese martial arts introduced into Okinawa during feudal times.
Karate-Do was brought to the attention of the Japanese public at the start of the twentieth century by the Okinawan master Gichin Funakoshi. The art gained popularity and was exported to the West from Japan. The style practised within the WKF is Wado.

What is Wado Ryu?
"Wado" means "the way of peace and harmony" - "Ryu" means "school". Wado Ryu was devised by Hironori Ohtsuka, the first Grandmaster. Hironori Ohtsuka was already a master of Jiu-jitsu when he began to study Karate with Gichin Funakoshi and Choki Motobu. Wado Ryu was a development of Okinawan Karate in combination with Jui-jitsu.

About Sensei John Oliver
John first started learning karate in 2000 at the age of 10 in Yate, Bristol at the Sangraal Reidendo Karate Club. After 12 months he moved to train under Sensei George Grimes, 8th Dan Kyoshi, at the Wado Karate Federation, also based in Yate. He gained his 1st Dan Certification from the Wado-Ryu Karate-Do Organisation at the Summer Course in Barnstaple, on 25 July 2008, and was promoted to 2nd Dan on 4 July 2011 by the Wado Karate Federation at the Summer Course in Portland, Dorset.

He started teaching karate at the age of 15, and has been actively involved ever since. When he left the UK in April 2012 his teaching schedule was:

• Wednesday - Children
• Thursday - Children
• Friday - Children, followed by Adults
• Saturday - Children, followed by Adults
• (some) Sundays - Travelling as competition coach (Adults and Children)

At the age of 15, he was invited to train with the Wado Ryu, England squad, and picked up a bronze medal at the UK open championships in Sheffield on his England debut when only 16 years old. In 2009, he travelled to Tokyo to represent England in the Wado World Championships both as an individual and in the team event. For the 12 months leading up to the World Championships, he was receiving additional training alongside karate legends such as former world karate champion Rory Daniels.

Unfortunately, he picked up a serious injury in Tokyo, and has been out of competitive action since. The damage has now been repaired, but he is now concentrating on passing his knowledge on to others.

The Wado Karate Federation, Hua Hin
Sensei John, 2nd Dan, Black Belt, moved to live in Hua Hin in April 2012 and is keen to continue the art. He is running regular training sessions from his home in Bon Kai for both adults and children. Class sizes are deliberately kept small (6 maximum) to give more personal attention.
Classes are being run during evenings (when it is a little cooler). All lessons are 2 hours long. The first lesson with the Wado Karate Federation is always free – if you don’t like it, there is absolutely no obligation to continue. After that costs are:

• Adults - 250Baht Adult lessons are Tuesday evening 19:00hrs to 21:00hrs
• Children - 200Baht Children's lessons are Friday evening 19:00hrs to 21:00hrs

All tuition follows a strict syllabus, which is issued to each student after 6 lessons,

A pay-on-the- day policy is observed i.e. no need to block book in advance, and no show, no fee. Parents are welcome to sit and view their children’s lessons.

Private lessons can be negotiated.

Telephone 0983 055964 (English)
0983 055963 (Thai)
e-mail: wadokaratefederation@gmail.com

Please use this thread to ask any questions and communicate with establishment representatives who may also respond here.

Click here if you are interested in having your own monthly updated advertorial thread on Hua Hin's busiest website
The club is fully affiliated to the UK club, and is annually inspected to ensure standards are being maintained before certification is issued.

[attachment=0]20140331_203447b.jpg[/attachment]

This club is a non-profit making organisation, and all income is fed back into the club. As a consequence, we believe we offer the cheapest Martial Arts training in Hua Hin. The needs of the student always comes first, and we never have more students than we can give sufficient attention to,
Attachments
2014 Affiliation Certificate
2014 Affiliation Certificate
20140331_203447b.jpg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 1338 times