Six dead in Pattaya ferry sinking

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: Six dead in Pattaya ferry sinking

Post by PeteC »

Let's wait for more as holes in that story IMO.

1) They were only 100 yards from their destination, Bali Hai pier, where did they hit the rocks?

2) There are no rocks between Koh Larn and bali hai pier except a small islands directly to the north and east of Koh Larn, and near the Royal Cliff hotel on the Pattaya end. They would have to be way off course to be in those areas, unless they ran directly into the island to the east? :shock: Where are these rocks?

I can't help thinking that a story is being fabricated to take emphasis off poor maintenance and an old vessel being used for commercial passenger services. Call me skeptical. Pete :cheers:
Last edited by PeteC on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

prcscct wrote:Let's wait for more as holes in that story IMO.

1) They were only 100 yards from their destination, Bali Hai pier, where did they hit the rocks?

2) There are no rocks between Koh Larn and bali hai pier except a small island directly to the north of Koh Larn, and near the Royal Cliff hotel on the Pattaya end. They would have to be way off course to be in those areas. Where are these rocks?

I can't help thinking that a story is being fabricated to take emphasis off poor maintenance and an old vessel being used for commercial passenger services. Call me skeptical. Pete :cheers:
And, in true Thai style, to evade responsibility.
Happiness can't buy money
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

To evade responsibility and to keep an extremely profitable ferry business running as high season approaches. Over the years you've read as many news stories as I have reporting on people who take a fall for serious crimes (including murder) in return for his family being compensated, sometimes for life or for as long as the fall guy is behind bars. It's not uncommon and I wouldn't be surprised if our "high captain" is a fall guy......IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Something I just read places the ferry 1,500 meters away from the Pattaya pier when it started to go down. Earlier article indicated 100 meters. If 1,500 is correct, it puts things more towards the beginning of the journey rather than at the end. Pete :cheers:
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

According to this article in Coconut Bangkok, the vessel was 1,5 km from Koh Lan.

In same article they also say that:
The captain behind the double-decker ferry, which sank on Sunday afternoon on its way from Koh Larn to Pattaya, turned himself in to the police yesterday afternoon and confessed to being under the influence of alcohol and Yaba before operating the ferry that killed six people.

Although Samarn Kranmuang later withdrew his confession, the ferry captain of Koh Lan Travel failed a drug test administered by Chonburi authorities. For that, Samarn was charged with carelessly piloting a boat which caused a fatal accident, drunk driving and using drugs. His license has been revoked for six months.
Will this go to trial or is 6 months without his license the full punishment?