Hua Hin Markets

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin Markets

Post by oakdale160 »

Stargeezer, you come to Thai and your wife stays home. Do NOT mention this in public, half the guys will want to strangle you in a fit of jealousy.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Just need to hope they consider parking
:lach: :lach: :lach:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No. 4 - Cicada Market

This market is situated on the left hand side as you drive into Khao Takiab. It is located where the 2 Southbound lanes become one, with the left hand lane going straight into the car park (parking cost - 50 Baht).
DSC03058b.JPG
DSC03058b.JPG (95.33 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
This is the last of the 'tourist' markets. I'd only been here once before, and it was not a good experience. It was a miserable, wet evening, and I simply didn't like it. This visit however, it was a complete turn around for me - it was an OK experience, which is quite a compliment from a non-shopper like me.

After you've parked your car, the initial part of the market is like any other traditional Thai market selling the usual tat and street food.
The 'normal' style Thai market.
The 'normal' style Thai market.
DSC03060b.JPG (94.14 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Once you've passed through the traditional market, there is a gateway through to the 'posh' part.
Entrance to the 'posh' market.
Entrance to the 'posh' market.
DSC03063b.JPG (87.45 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Once inside, it gives a clinical feeling with white gazebos covering a more upmarket brand of tat than you'd find in a normal Thai market.
The white gazebos
The white gazebos
DSC03073b.JPG (92.18 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
The white gazebos
The white gazebos
DSC03082b.JPG (118.42 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
There is a large hidden show area that you have to pay an admission charge. I'm too tight to pay, but sneaked a look. There some guy on a stunt bike riding over steps of fire - whatever floats your boat I suppose. Also scattered around the market were street performers doing their thing.
Street performer
Street performer
DSC03068b.JPG (95.34 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Street performer
Street performer
DSC03075b.JPG (96.7 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
A big plus for this market is a huge outdoor eating area (not so attractive when it rains).
Outdoor eating area
Outdoor eating area
DSC03067b.JPG (97.37 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
We took a walk past the various stalls preparing/selling the food, and everything looked very clean, and there was a huge variety of food on offer.
Outdoor food preparation/sales.
Outdoor food preparation/sales.
DSC03071b.JPG (130.61 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
I think I will take another look at this market when I've got more time to spare - maybe try the food next time.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No. 5 - Chatchai Market

This is Hua Hin’s day market offering almost everything to the shoppers, located between Sois 70 and 72; and Petchakasem Road and Sra Song Road. It is situated directly next door to its night time cousin, the Night Market. This market starts to set up at between 04.00-05.00 and stays open until around 19.00.
The market from Petchkasem Road.
The market from Petchkasem Road.
DSC03036b.JPG (140.38 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
The market, which was built during Rama VII reign has recently gone through a refurbishment and is even more of a delight to visit than before. However, visitors can expect the temperatures inside to be significantly hotter than outside.

Inside, it resembles almost any day market that I’ve ever been to in Thailand. You'll see an amazing variety of meats, fish, seafood, vegetables and fruit being sold.
Fruit stall at the Southern entrance.
Fruit stall at the Southern entrance.
DSC03038b.JPG (150.01 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Dried fish products
Dried fish products
DSC03040b.JPG (151.39 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Coconut/Honey products
Coconut/Honey products
DSC03041b.JPG (153.25 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Fresh fish
Fresh fish
DSC03044b.JPG (143.96 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Chicken
Chicken
DSC03048b.JPG (120.57 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
There is also a dazzling variety of stalls selling clothes (from jeans, t-shirts and watches to jewellery, belts, hats, swimming suit and sunglasses), as well as countless souvenirs and typical Thai handicrafts such as intricate wood carvings and embroidered silk cushion covers. Also, don’t be surprised to see the occasional rat running around.
Religious items
Religious items
DSC03050b.JPG (145.01 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Kiddies toys
Kiddies toys
DSC03051b.JPG (147.69 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Shoes and bags
Shoes and bags
DSC03054b.JPG (151.05 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
There is always a lot of water on the floor in the fish and meat market areas, and visitors have to be very careful as the floor can get very slippery. Also, as I’ve mentioned before, many Thais have a significant problem with their legs, and are incapable of walking. As a result you have to beware of the numerous motorcycles moving around the narrow WALKways.

Definitely an experience visitors should try at least once.

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

You'll see an amazing variety of meats, fish, seafood, vegetables and fruit being sold.
"see" and smell. One of the most remarkable and interesting things about this market are the smells (both good and not so good).

When we first moved to Hua Hin this was the primary (almost the only) source of fresh meat and produce so I did my (weekly for at least 2 years) sentence inside as a pack mule carrying all the supplies my wife bought. I used to have bags hanging off every finger and was looking for a place to hang more :shock: all the while sweating like a pig. (do pigs really sweat? :? )
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

hhfarang wrote: (do pigs really sweat? :? )
They DO have a few sweat glands, but they are not very useful for them, so that is why they like to cover them self with wet mud since the evaporation from the water in the mud cools them down and helps them to regulate their body heat.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Chromeman wrote:
hhfarang wrote: (do pigs really sweat? :? )
They DO have a few sweat glands, but they are not very useful for them, so that is why they like to cover them self with wet mud since the evaporation from the water in the mud cools them down and helps them to regulate their body heat.
And there it is, hhf, the answer to all your problems!! :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Done deal! I'm making a mud pit in my yard! :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No. 6 - The Grand Market

Going South out of Hua Hin, this market is situated on Petchkasem Road between San Paulo Hospital and the Grand Hotel. It opens every evening except Tuesday. I don't consider this to be a tourist market, but my thoughts are probably outdated, and go back to when the market first opened. These days it is not uncommon to see Farangs shopping there as well.
The market area by day
The market area by day
DSC02933_1b.JPG (115.73 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Photo taken from same position at night looking West
Photo taken from same position at night looking West
DSC02933_2b.JPG (125.26 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Photo taken from same position at night looking North
Photo taken from same position at night looking North
DSC02933_3b.JPG (128.84 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
One of the big attractions of this market is the many and varied food outlets serving food at budget prices on the Northern edge of the Market. At the time of the photo shoot there weren't many people, but there are occasions when it can be very busy, and getting a seat can be difficult.
Food outlet by day
Food outlet by day
DSC02935_1b.JPG (137.35 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Food outlet after dark
Food outlet after dark
DSC02935_2b.JPG (142.2 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
At the back of the market (Western end) there is a colourful area where it can be nice to sit and chill with a cold beer and watch the world go by.
Western end of the market during the day.
Western end of the market during the day.
DSC02939_1b.JPG (140.84 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Western end of the market after dark.
Western end of the market after dark.
DSC02939_2b.JPG (126.17 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Just before the relatively new Western end of the market, there is a covered section, which is air conditioned. The can be quite a nice relief during the hotter periods.
Air conditioned area
Air conditioned area
DSC02940_4b.JPG (133.21 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
The main body of the market is much the same as any other market.
Wandering around the market
DSC03107b.JPG (147.15 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
DSC03110b.JPG (125.43 KiB) Viewed 3136 times

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy, I appreciate the effort and love the contrast between your market photos in the daytime and at night. Good job! :thumb:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Thanks for this excellent contribution. There are a couple of markets here I did not even know exist. :shock:
The great thing about the night market is the many restaurants which serve good food, after the shopping stroll. I collect concert DVD's and add to my collection every time I visit HH, at the Night Market :dance:
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I've enjoyed this thread as well.

The last two times I visited HH, the Thais I was with preferred to visit the Grand Market, rather than the older established night market. I also remember when the market was only on one or two nights a week and that there used to be a car cleaning business run from that area, which I used to clean the hire car / pick-up at the end of a trip. I always waited in a little café / bar place by the gym.
Talk is cheap
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I stopped using the night market Nr City Beach hotel years ago..the stall holders would NOT reduce their prices even 10%..they were so used to tourists paying their asking price there that when I asked for some discount (in Thai) the stall holders gave me a filthy look & told me "No!"
So then..every few days my wife needs to buy 'going away' prezzies for our customers...the mood of shopping/buying is so much different in the 'main' Night-Market, so we walk that bit further & they get our Baht..on a regular basis, simply due to a bit of friendly banter & a bit of discount.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I used to take tourists to see the alm giving round in the Chatchai market early in the morning. They all liked it and it´s a very important part of the culture here. So they actually saw "real Thailand".

On the days I woke up early, I'd go there myself and pick up the Bangkok Post and some breakfast, sometimes curries, sometimes khanom khrok and soybean milk and Thai coffee.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

usual suspect wrote:I stopped using the night market Nr City Beach hotel years ago..the stall holders would NOT reduce their prices even 10%..they were so used to tourists paying their asking price there that when I asked for some discount (in Thai) the stall holders gave me a filthy look & told me "No!"
I asked for a discount on a pair of trousers once and was told by the vendor that he couldn't give me a discount because it had been raining, therefore they weren't very busy. He told me that if I came back the next day he'd probably be able to give me a discount.

So I went over to the next stall and got the same trousers with discount.

Other than that one time, I've never had any problems negotiating reduced prices. Not that I go there terribly often...