Hua Hin Markets

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Hua Hin Markets

Post by richard »

Bamboo Grove wrote:I used to take tourists to see the alm giving round in the Chatchai market early in the morning. They all liked it and it´s a very important part of the culture here. So they actually saw "real Thailand".

On the days I woke up early, I'd go there myself and pick up the Bangkok Post and some breakfast, sometimes curries, sometimes khanom khrok and soybean milk and Thai coffee.
Used to do the same. Up at 5 am and off to sit with a tea and a coffee while the wife gave alms and went shopping in the wet market. The only real Thai part of HH left IMO. Watch the sun come up and the birds and rats feeding off scraps. Farang count? Maybe a couple of late night crawlers.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Me too richard. Every time when on holiday, I used to take Mrs BB up there.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No. 7 - Hua Hin Memory

This particular venue was requested by a forum member. It is a market in the loosest meaning of the word - in fact I would call it a large food court selling a few trinkets on the side :wink: .
Signpost
Signpost
DSC03114_1b.JPG (132.12 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
This attraction is located on a large corner plot on Naeb Khehard Road and Soi 51 (Damrongraj Road). Although partially open during the day, this area comes to life after dark, especially at weekends when it becomes a major meeting place with a modern style semi retro atmosphere for visitors from Bangkok.
Hua Hin Memory from Naeb Khehard Road during the day.
Hua Hin Memory from Naeb Khehard Road during the day.
DSC03116_1b.JPG (149.93 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Hua Hin Memory from Naeb Khehard Road at dusk.
Hua Hin Memory from Naeb Khehard Road at dusk.
DSC03116_2b.JPG (126.68 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
As the name suggests, it is full of little displays meant to reflect Hua Hin of old. This got me wondering.... an old train, fishing boats I could understand, but a lighthouse? I was visiting Hua Hin for about 13 years before moving here 2 years ago. I've never seen, nor have heard of a lighthouse. As a major focal point of the static displays, is this a part of Hua Hin's history that has passed me by?

During the day, there is very little to see outside of the static displays. Unfortunately, I normally like to return to a venue after dark, but because of pressing matters elsewhere, could only return at dusk. There were a couple of market type stalls setting up, but nothing like the scale of other Hua Hin markets. I saw clothes stalls being set up, and one large stall selling cuddly toys. It would be interesting to hear the views of those who have been here after dark on a busy day.
Complex sign with fountain behind during day
Complex sign with fountain behind during day
DSC03118_1b.JPG (149.09 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Complex sign with fountain behind at dusk
Complex sign with fountain behind at dusk
DSC03118_2b.JPG (143.36 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
There is a small stage area where I guess they put on shows. However, I was either too early, or maybe the entertainment is reserved for weekends/special occasions when it is busy.

The food areas looked very substantial, and capable of catering for a lot of people. Tables were starting to fill while I was there, but I could imagine it getting quite busy at times.
Food court during day
Food court during day
DSC03129_1b.JPG (146.94 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Food court at dusk
Food court at dusk
DSC03129_2b.JPG (145.06 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
All along Soi 51 it looked as though the many 'night' establishments were gearing up for a busy night.
Hua Hin Memory from Soi 51 during the day
Hua Hin Memory from Soi 51 during the day
DSC03132b.JPG (143.77 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Hua Hin Memory from Soi 51 at dusk
Hua Hin Memory from Soi 51 at dusk
DSC03154b.JPG (131.49 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
Conclusion - this is another 'plastic' Hua Hin attraction. However, it held a strange kind of attraction, and I will go back there for an evening with my wife for a meal to see if the atmosphere lives up to its potential.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

There's a building in the centre of the market which houses a coffee shop (at least if my memory servers me correctly, that's the building I'm talking about). If you go up the stairs to the top of the building there's a little art gallery showing pictures of Hua Hin from history (take off your shoes)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Pleng - I saw that building (closed during the day), and wrongly assumed it was just a small indoor extension to the market. Unfortunately I didn't have time to explore fully when I went back at dusk. However, I love to see pictures of old Hua Hin, so I'll definitely make another visit.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pae Mai

Undisputedly Hua Hin's largest and busiest market, Pae Mai is situated at the Southern end of the Klong Road, alongside the golf driving range. This market only opens on a Tuesday evening, and is predominantly frequented by Thais. When I was there, I counted the other Farangs that I saw there - just 13.

Normally, I like to do a daytime/evening contrast, but this market is so large/busy, that would be virtually impossible.
Daytime view
Daytime view
DSC03138b.JPG (110.46 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Daytime view
Daytime view
DSC03140b.JPG (121.25 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
As I have said, this is predominantly a markets for Thais, and many of the prices reflect this. However, as a Thai market, don't go there looking for outsize clothes - they may be there, but certainly won't be the norm.

The first thing that appeals to me here is the huge and colourful range of street food. You name it, it'll probably be on sale here.
Street food
Street food
DSC03159b.JPG (132.14 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Street food
Street food
DSC03175b.JPG (153.81 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Street food
Street food
DSC03182b.JPG (147.53 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
A visit to this market can't be rushed. The crowds here are so large, I liken it to leaving a busy football stadium - you can only go as fast as the person in front. There's certainly no room for overtaking.
You have to go where the crowds take you
You have to go where the crowds take you
DSC03168b.JPG (105.94 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
The range of goods (new and used) on sale is impressive:
Pets
Pets
DSC03172b.JPG (147.13 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Baby equipment (pushchairs, car seats etc) and Fitness equipment.  A frequent forum question is where can you buy such items.
Baby equipment (pushchairs, car seats etc) and Fitness equipment. A frequent forum question is where can you buy such items.
DSC03176b.JPG (133.33 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Weapons - a whole variety of nasty looking weapons (swords, knives etc), which included guns, but I assume the guns were not real.
Weapons - a whole variety of nasty looking weapons (swords, knives etc), which included guns, but I assume the guns were not real.
DSC03181b.JPG (154.41 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
There were many other things on sale including laptops, TVs, tools etc as well as the usual clothing and footwear items. Almost anything you could want is available here at Thai prices.

Parking is a problem, with all kerbs close to the market loaded with double parked motorcycles.
Parked motorcycles
Parked motorcycles
DSC03184b.JPG (112.65 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
If you drive to Pae Mai, be prepared for a long(ish) walk from your car. If you don't have a motorcycle, it is probably better to go by taxi, and pre-arrange a pick up time for when you think you will finish.

If you like shopping combined with hustle and bustle, this market is a must.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Been there once several years ago and I only saw one other foreigner while browsing through the market. Best market for street snacks I've seen here.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm always amazed at the diverse range of items available there.

Points 41; Position 18
Dianachris

Post by Dianachris »

Hi thanks for this we love markets and visit all of them...one comment about Pai market..although I do try and communicate with my limited Thai language,the Thai prices do change when it's a farang couple....a bag ,not a designer rip off,just a normal handbag,quadrupled from the sticker price.When I pointed to the sticker price and said the number in Thai,he shrugged and shook his head....they think all Farangs are CEO's of companies or have successful businesses...when we tell them I work in an office and my husband works in a factory,they think he owns it!!!! Not in Hua Hin I know,but the Wednesday market in Cha-am is huge and pretty good.....hope for regular updates...thanks
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dianachris wrote:Not in Hua Hin I know,but the Wednesday market in Cha-am is huge and pretty good.....hope for regular updates...thanks
I went there years ago - another visit may be in order :wink:

I had a look around the Cha-Am Fresh Market earlier today and was surprised at the spaciousness and cleanliness.

Points 41; Position 18
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Thanks for Pae mai review, i had no idea one like that exsisted in hua-hin
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
tweedychris
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tweedychris »

the white baht bus goes to the pae mai market . also if you want a beer go in to the driving range next door to the tuesday night market sit there and watch all the golfers practising
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Dianachris wrote:Hi thanks for this we love markets and visit all of them...one comment about Pai market..although I do try and communicate with my limited Thai language,the Thai prices do change when it's a farang couple....a bag ,not a designer rip off,just a normal handbag,quadrupled from the sticker price.When I pointed to the sticker price and said the number in Thai,he shrugged and shook his head....they think all Farangs are CEO's of companies or have successful businesses...when we tell them I work in an office and my husband works in a factory,they think he owns it!!!! Not in Hua Hin I know,but the Wednesday market in Cha-am is huge and pretty good.....hope for regular updates...thanks
My wife (Thai) and I used to have a system at all markets. If I spotted anything I wanted I used to wander back to her (10 metres behind me) and tell her to get it. Always got a dirty look when after the transaction I rolled up and thanked her for buying it.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dianachris

Post by Dianachris »

Hi Folks just wondered, if anyone can update about a previous comment Borfai Chatuchuck Has this market opened now?Thanks
lagojardin

Post by lagojardin »

The best market in HH is at the bottom of soi 112, opposite the new water park - The freshly madetakeaway food is fantastic and very cheap, my wife comes home with 3-4 plastic bags of delicious Thai food from the same stall, everything at 20 baht per bag. Also the fresh fish, veg and fruit are the cheapest in town .. Give it a try.