Chumphon community coral reef cleaning project

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
buksida

Chumphon community coral reef cleaning project

Post by buksida »

Was invited along to another Department of Marine Conservation & Resources coral clean up in Chumphon over the weekend.
DSC_0826.jpg
DSC_0839.jpg
DSC_0840.jpg
DSC_0849.jpg
DSC_0859.jpg
DSC_0878.jpg
DSC_0889.jpg
DSC_0898.jpg
DSC_0899.jpg
95% of what we lifted off the reef was fishing nets.

Full gallery: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 4385216533

Video to follow.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Chumphon community coral reef cleaning project

Post by buksida »

Here is the video ...

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

It's nice to see some like minded people respecting there environment and doing their bit if only more would do this sort of thing.
Plastic is the scourge of Thailand and one of my pet hate's be it the beach or the countryside it's just Disregarded everywhere .

Enjoyed the video Buksida that's some camera you have nice quality I was suprised how much fishing nets are down there.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
buksida

Post by buksida »

They are increasing the frequency of these projects, we've done two this year. The govt funded DMCR pays for all of the accommodation, food, drink, and dive boat, we just get down there and do what we can before our air runs out or we go into deco!

I tend to think though if more money and time was spent preventing these damn fishing boats drag-netting near the reef the problem wouldn't be as severe.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:The govt funded DMCR pays for all of the accommodation, food, drink, and dive boat
That surprised me - I thought you guys were funding it all yourselves. Still very commendable that you're giving up your time though.

Re-assuring that the government has recognised the problem. However, prevention would be much better than cure.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Esmeralda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Esmeralda »

Do you know of there is another one coming up any time soon within the month? I'm new in town and staying for about 3 weeks and would love to be able to give back to the environment here. Should there be any cleanup projects requiring volunteers, please let me know. Thanks
buksida

Post by buksida »

They usually have them every six months or so, next one not for a while.