Whiskeys

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Re: Whiskeys

Post by PeteC »

'World's best whisky' is Japanese

"LONDON - A Japanese single malt whisky was named the world's best for the first time by a prestigious guide released Monday, which failed to place a Scotch in its top ranking......"
703880.jpg
703880.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/44 ... s-japanese

A better article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 35583.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I see that even an English whisky beats the Scots and I didn't even know that there was such a thing!
adammike

Post by adammike »

No big deal a whisky from India won a few years ago,for what its worth my favourite is Bowmore 18 year old another Islay.
I seem to remember a Japanese won some time ago?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Jura releases George Orwell’s 1984 inspired malt
A WHISKY distillery has released a vintage edition of its single malt inspired by George Orwell’s most famous novel, 1984.

In 1946 George Orwell, who was unwell at the time, asked his friend David Astor for a loan of his remote Scottish farmhouse in which to write his new book. The writer then took the pilgrimage to the small island of Jura to escape the irritations of London, a situation he described as forcing him to feel like he was becoming “more and more like a sucked orange.”

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/food- ... -1-3605412
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Pour yourself a dram and read about Speyside in the latest issue of Whisky Wednesday

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5ba ... e04bf20f23
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Seemed to have missed this thread previous..............

Never been a great drinker, but this stuff is pure nectar - always try and grab a bottle in duty free if I'm travelling
s9671.jpg
s9671.jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Highland Park distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery based in Kirkwall, Orkney. It is the most northerly whisky distillery in Scotland, half a mile farther north than that at Scapa distillery.

Wonderful stuff - no ice - no water - just a wee dram
adammike

Post by adammike »

The Islay whiskys are the smokey ones Lagavulin,finlaggan,Ardbeg,Bowmore, I have a bottle of cask strength Laphroaig 57.8% it's an evil bustard,some of the Mezcals are very nice smokey but without the peat.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Got a bottle of Mortlach 18yrs in the airport. Distracted by an impatient wife I did not pay enough attention when signing the credit card bill and nearly died when I looked later. Now kept for a very special occasion. Hope it was worth it.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Passing through Dubai airport a couple of weeks ago and I treated myself the 25 year old Balvenie Triple Cask.

They had it on offer at $191 it's usually around $600 and I got the last one.

balvenie-12yo-triple-cask.jpg
balvenie-12yo-triple-cask.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I like to have three different single malts in the house, the aforementioned Highland Park,one of the peaty ones such as Laphroig,Talisker etc and a Speyside such as Glenfiddich. Oh and a cheap blend for the occasional Whisky and Coke drinker.
Most Whisky "experts" recommend adding a small measure of water to a dram, and never,ever poured directly into the glass from the tap( even in safe water areas) apparently it causes bubbles which spoil the taste.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

adammike wrote:The Islay whiskys are the smokey ones Lagavulin,finlaggan,Ardbeg,Bowmore, I have a bottle of cask strength Laphroaig 57.8% it's an evil bustard,some of the Mezcals are very nice smokey but without the peat.
Caul Ila is one of my favorites amongst the Islay whiskeys.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caol-Ila-years- ... s=caol+ila
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dear God, I had no idea what a hedonistic and bacchanalian lifestyle some of our members have. The idea of spending that kind of money on one bottle, never mind three, brings me out in a cold sweat...
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

dtaai-maai wrote:Dear God, I had no idea what a hedonistic and bacchanalian lifestyle some of our members have. The idea of spending that kind of money on one bottle, never mind three, brings me out in a cold sweat...
You don't drink very much of those kind of whiskeys, just a nip once in a while. I have a few single malts in Thailand but I only buy a bottle or two a year. For general purpose drinking, I'm quite happy with Benmore or even Sangsom. (That's after the Chang!)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm very familiar with good whisky, I'm just not very good at a nip once in a while...
This is the way
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

DM
Yeah, I mostly buy the expensive ones for some sort of celebration, but mostly they are in a cupboard collecting dust