Visa to visit China

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Visa to visit China

Post by StevePIraq »

Looking for some guidance on obtaining a visa to visit China. Last time I went on a business visa from elsewhere, had to provide work permits from country of application, letters from employer and government plus much more, major hassles and took forever. This time it has been suggested to obtain a tourist visa and get in Bangkok.

Anyone with experience who can point me in the right direction. UK Passport holder.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Visa to visit China

Post by oakdale160 »

Search the forum, there is a thread with plenty of info. Not too difficult, do not leave it until the day before you are due to travel.
You do need to book a hotel and ask them to send you a confirmation letter.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Have searched the forum, not much relevant came up, Chinese Consular web site is pretty confusing. lots of different visas but few guidelines.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:Have searched the forum, not much relevant came up, Chinese Consular web site is pretty confusing. lots of different visas but few guidelines.
Henry and Linda posted info about obtaining visas for travel to China when they undertook their epic rail journey.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The regulations are clearly set out in notices at the consulate, I am surprised that the web site is not helpful.
Are you retired, if so they will require to see your bank book which must be up to date, also make a copy of the final page they will need that. There ius a minimum you must have. I donot remember the amount. Take your airline ticket print out and a copy too. That is everything I think for a tourist visa.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Does anyone have a website for a China visa online? Or do you have to go to the embassy?

Do Thais need a visa or can they get one on arrival?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I have just re read my previous post. You also need conformation of hotel booking or letter from host if staying with friends.
buksida

Post by buksida »

So you have to book flights and hotels BEFORE you get a visa? Doesn't seem logical to me.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
gilped
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gilped »

I can help with this as I have recently done it. You need a resident permit in the country you live, otherwise you won't get a visa as you are classed as non resident, except from in your home country. For example, if you are a UK resident but living in Thailand short term on a tourist visa the embassy will tell you that you have to apply in your home country. If you have a retirement visa in Thailand, work permit or similar you can apply. The rules have changed in the last year and they are difficult. The application needs to go to the Chinese Embassy and I don't think you can do it on line. You will need to give them the hotel details where you will stay and all the flight details. Logic doesn't come in to it I'm afraid!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I've not applied for a tourist or business visa in quite some time for China as I was on a Residence Permit for several years. Also, as gilped says, the rules have changed in the last year or two.

However, I have in the past used the services of Any Tours in Hong Kong who organised visas for me and were extremely helpful. It may pay just to drop them an email to see what advice/help they could give you. The guy I dealt with was Teddy, but no idea if he's still there. Email details: -

Teddy - teddy@anytours.com.hk
Main - anytours@anytours.com.hk

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

buksida wrote:So you have to book flights and hotels BEFORE you get a visa? Doesn't seem logical to me.
This is the same as a Thai trying to obtain a visa for the U.K. My girlfriend had to make a flight booking through a travel agent and present along with her bundle of other paperwork to the U.K. embassy (or whatever it is now) in Bangkok. Luckily we didn't have to pay anything for the booking and made the actual booking later on with the same travel agent.

I spent eight days in Hong Kong last year trying to get a 'Z-type' business visa for China and was given an 'F-type' instead which was not accepted by our client so I was sent back to Thailand. The frustrating thing was that the embassy staff blatantly lied to my face stating that someone had called my hotel, spoken to me and apparently I told them the 'F-type' was ok :?
I'm not in a hurry to go to China after this introduction.

I'm sure a tourist visa will be a lot easier to get.
GN.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Ginjaninja wrote:This is the same as a Thai trying to obtain a visa for the U.K. My girlfriend had to make a flight booking through a travel agent and present along with her bundle of other paperwork to the U.K. embassy (or whatever it is now) in Bangkok.
Sorry GN, but that's certainly not the case for the UK. They actually advise not to book tickets before the visa is issued.
Talk is cheap
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^
Caller, you are right!

From: https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa/d ... st-provide:

"3. Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide:

a current passport or other valid travel identification
2 passport size colour photographs
evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
"

It is not mandatory and not advised. This is just something that my girlfriend and I decided to do to assist with the visa application. She's has been successful with all three visas and visited the U.K. on three occations so we must be doing something right. The last visa obtained was a 2-year multiple-entry which was a bonus.

Sorry, Steve. Not helping your post.
:cheers:
GN.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not really interested in UK visas!

Found this in the meantime which confirms that everything needs to be booked before visas are issued, which is ridiculous IMO:
http://www.chinaembassy.or.th/eng/zgqz/sqzn/

Thanks for the email addys, will contact them but if it is too much hassle (which it looks to be) we may go to Macau instead where none of us need a visa.
sledge
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sledge »

A letter of invitation from someone living there already will suffice in place of hotel booking should that be available to you.