Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by pdm3547 »

pdm3547 wrote:
caller wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:in England it is no longer physical torture, but mental torture; no sleep, repeated questions, isolation, no sleep... aaand broken - after many many hours!
I know a few Police officers who would like to employ those tactics, but the requirements of PACE get in the way, not to mention wall to wall cctv etc.

Is that what they tell you?
Surely interrogating someone has to be at least a bit arduous, I don't suppose many criminals are going to readily admit their guilt over a friendly chat with tea and biscuits. Obviously you need a dividing line between stitching up anyone for political reasons and being too easy on genuine wrong doers.
Well quite, and if anyone thinks that PACE works in the favour of the honest man, on his way home on the clapham omnibus, then they are in leave of their senses.

I know someone who was arrested in the UK at 2am, bit loud but nothing serious. Police held him in a cell until 4pm the next day and gave him 160ml of water to drink in that time. Of course, the official record showed some thing different, but he was an aspiring graduate. That case is ongoing.......
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

:offtopic: This is about tourist murders on Koh Tao, not UK police procedures.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

British police to return from Thailand in backpacker murder probe

British police who travelled to Thailand to review the investigation into the murders of backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller are due to return to the UK, having completed their work "as far as possible".
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-11-1 ... der-probe/Blimey, I had no idea they were still here! A very thorough observation, clearly... :laugh:
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The ghosts stories will be starting soon. There is a Swiss guy who went snorkeling off the island on Saturday, entering the water at the same beach. He hasn't come back yet and police are looking.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/11/11/s ... ng-koh-tao
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Politics and diplomacy will win. Individual people don't count :cuss:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ if you add loss of face to the equation then I agree 101%
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I've had a go at trying to find figures on how many foreigners (tourists or expats) of all countries die through various non-natural ways here in Thailand, i.e. murders, "suicides", vehicle accidents, misadventure or whatever.......but no joy, and unsurprisingly there seems to no be official Thai figures........imagine that. The only official figures I came across is that the FCO (UK Embassy services essentially....for what they are worth) say on average approx 6-7k UK citizens die each year outside of the UK through one way or another, natural or not.

I bet in reality there's an embarrassingly high tourist casuality rate here. You might be able to get it out of an individual consulate service of a country in the country of origin but that would be it as I bet the Thai authorities are not forthcoming with such things as "casuality figures" for the the year....if they even know or care themselves.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Apparently 389 Brits died in Thailand in the year 2012-13, but that's from all causes:
http://phuketwan.com/tourism/brits-dyin ... ent-18460/
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Ahh...OK.

Yeah, those figures come from our end and it's only British people. Wonder what it is if you included other Europeans, Russkies, Chinese, Japs and goodness knows who else. Bet it's high......cheers for the link.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm sure I read some days ago that the uk police contingent had already returned giving a clean bill of health to the Thai investigation. This was a statement from the Thai authorities......... we'll see!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My recent experiences of working with the Met Police before retiring wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence in their abilities....
Talk is cheap
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Spitfire wrote:Ahh...OK.

Yeah, those figures come from our end and it's only British people. Wonder what it is if you included other Europeans, Russkies, Chinese, Japs and goodness knows who else. Bet it's high......cheers for the link.
Last time I went to the French Embassy in BKK to renew my passport (2013), I was surprised to learn from the secretary that one of their frequent and uneasy task was to deal with many deaths among the French expats or tourists.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

There was a site called "Farang Exits", but it shut down earlier this year... It used to list all Farang deaths in Thailand regardless of cause...
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Koh Tao duo detained a fifth time
The Koh Samui Provincial Court on Thursday approved a fifth period of detention for the Koh Tao murder suspects as prosecutors said they were waiting for more evidence plus the findings of an assault claim during police interrogation.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... fifth-time

Burmese murder accused ask British backpackers’ families for help
Two Burmese men detained in Thailand for allegedly killing the British backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller have told the Guardian they are innocent and have appealed to the victims’ families and the UK government to help them clear their names.

In their first media interview since being arrested almost eight weeks ago, Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, both 21, stressed their sorrow over the deaths of the Britons, whose battered bodies were found on a beach on the holiday island of Koh Tao on 15 September. But they said they were not involved and asked UK authorities to share with their lawyers the results of a Metropolitan police review of the Thai investigation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/n ... s-thailand
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

It is a sad time for everyone who is a friend or relative of these murdered
tourists. I have enjoyed lots of trips to Thailand and am happy to still be
around to return again. I have read of some murders as well in Bangkok as well
and I just thank my lucky stars to be healthy. I did have a close call on
my first trip to Thailand. It happened in Pattaya and I would not be around today
if it was not for an armed guard at my hotel. The big thing is to never get
too drunk, never flash any expensive jewellery, or too much money.
Try to travel with a friend or two when you can.
I have done all of the foolish stuff, and now with my Thai family I always
travel with them and feel safer.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.